CEP not popular?

Looking on the vault at top rated modules, I clicked on CEP. 15 modules
turned up, out of 3840

Now granted that most of those modules existed long before CEP came out,
thats not quite as suprising as I might first think.

But HOTU has 70 modules listed, and its only been out a few months
longer than CEP.

Lance

I think it's because of the long 100 some MB DL that could be one of the
reasons.

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:40:04 -0600, "Mike Wetjen" <wetjen2004@alltel.net> wrote:

>I think it's because of the long 100 some MB DL that could be one of the
>reasons.

then there must be alot more dialup NWN'ers than i'd ever thought previously.
100mb to someone on cable or dsl is what, 10 minutes? start the download, fix a
sandwich, come back and it's done.

eudas
Inside of every silver lining, there's a big, dark cloud.

Lance Berg wrote:
> Looking on the vault at top rated modules, I clicked on CEP. 15 modules
> turned up, out of 3840
>
> Now granted that most of those modules existed long before CEP came out,
> thats not quite as suprising as I might first think.
>
> But HOTU has 70 modules listed, and its only been out a few months
> longer than CEP.

Well, CEP is kind of a mess. It was originally supposed to be a
selection of the best custom content on the Vault, but it got out of
hand. It repeats a lot of stuff that was added by BW (driders and
illithids come to mind). It takes over the custom palette of the
toolset, making it that much harder for a builder to find his or her
custom items, creatures, etc. And, it includes a lot of content that
shouldn't have made the cut for quality reasons. I have it installed for
playing CEP modules, but I would never use it for building a module.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

"eudas" <eudas@kdi.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:40:04 -0600, "Mike Wetjen" <wetjen2004@alltel.net>
wrote:

> >I think it's because of the long 100 some MB DL that could be one of the
> >reasons.
>
> then there must be alot more dialup NWN'ers than i'd ever thought
previously.
> 100mb to someone on cable or dsl is what, 10 minutes? start the download,
fix a
> sandwich, come back and it's done.

Some people just don't want to deal with hak packs, aren't able to deal with
them, or just don't know how to use them, and you get modules out to more
people.

I'm on dialup, and I didn't download CEP until some friends decided to
launch a social server that used it. It wasn't *that* bad, though, to
actually download it.

I think the real trouble is that module production has fallen off, and
NWN's popularity in general is falling off. There are several other
major projects that, I think, will be released too late for anything to
really be built upon them -- CODI is the most obvious example.

> Now granted that most of those modules existed long before CEP came out,
> thats not quite as suprising as I might first think.
> But HOTU has 70 modules listed, and its only been out a few months longer
> than CEP.

When a module builder installs SoU or HotU their modules will automatically
be flagged as requiring these expansions. There is NO option to turn this
off. I was a little pragmatic and copied the whole installation to a spare
HDD so the basic toolkit and an SoU toolkit is still useable.

So any module designer who has HotU makes mods that require HotU irespective
of whether they use any HotU content or not.

CEP is optional. Its basically loads of HAK files. A module designer has to
specifically select these HAKs and add them to the module for the module to
require CEP.

Simply "installing" CEP will not make modules require it (as expansions do).

I've used the CEP but have to say its not incredible, some stuff is quite
good but its all visual and mod designers should be concentrating as much if
not more on plot / playability / scripting than a few nice visuals so it
tends not to get used unless by fanatics (my co-author) or where the content
is really needed.

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 23:06:31 GMT, "Alistair Davis"
<a_davis@ntlworld.com> wrote in Message-ID
<XRsqd.1310$Fd3.176@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>:

> When a module builder installs SoU or HotU their modules will automatically
> be flagged as requiring these expansions. There is NO option to turn this
> off.

Well, that's not totally true. You can use a GFF/ERF editor or other
tool to change the flag.

If you mistakenly include SoU or HotU content, it'll cause problems
for those without the expansion(s).

--
=''' Lord Alexander
c-OO Bastions of War Team PvP Arena