How to use 'Upgrade Package' in a GPO?

Hi

I have created a package with an install of say Software v1.
I then later use the 'upgrade' tab of the same gpo and upgrade to Software v2
So the gpo has 2 packages in it - the original software v1 and the new
upgrade to software v2.
I also have 2 folders on my server to match softwareV1 and softwareV2.
If I am sure software v2 is now fully deployed can I remove software v1 from
the GPO and remove the folder from the server?
Will the software v2 change from an upgrade to a 'normal' install?
Will any new machines having this GPO applied just get software v2?

Thanks

How I have done this is as follows:

You have a GPO that installs Software v1 ( let's use Office 2000 ). It is
assigned to the user configuration side of things. It works just swell.
You have a nice Administrative Installation Point ( AIP ) to which you have
applied all of the Office 2000 Service Packs and the Updates and then simply
'redeployed' each time you have updated the AIP. All is good.

Now, your company has decided that they are finally going to standardize on
Office XP. Office 2003 is still too new and some of the applications that
you use ( like WinTAM, for example ) can not yet run with Office 2003. What
to do?

Create the new AIP and apply the Office XP Service Packs and Updates. Then
create a new GPO which is going to install Office XP and link it to the same
OU where you have the GPO that installs Office 2000. In the Upgrade tab of
your Office XP GPO would simply enter your Office 2000 GPO. The trick is
that you need to make sure that when you right click the OU in which your
user account objects reside and select Properties and then go to the Group
Policy tab that the Office XP GPO is listed above the Office 2000 GPO.
Remember, the GPO listed on the bottom is processed first, the one above
that next, the one above that one next and finally the one at the top of the
list is processed last.

This has worked for me just swell several times.......

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"huff-n-puff" <huffnpuff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have created a package with an install of say Software v1.
> I then later use the 'upgrade' tab of the same gpo and upgrade to Software
> v2
> So the gpo has 2 packages in it - the original software v1 and the new
> upgrade to software v2.
> I also have 2 folders on my server to match softwareV1 and softwareV2.
> If I am sure software v2 is now fully deployed can I remove software v1
> from
> the GPO and remove the folder from the server?
> Will the software v2 change from an upgrade to a 'normal' install?
> Will any new machines having this GPO applied just get software v2?
>
> Thanks

As a follow up question, using your scenario, Cary, once all of the users
are using Office XP, can you go ahead and delete the 2000 AIP and GPO?... or
is that something you have to leave in there forever (or at least until you
switch to some other Office product (like there is one)?)

Ken