Closed

PCI-E to AGP adapter

Is there some kind of adapter that can convert an AGP card to fit in a PCI-E slot? I have a 256MB AGP Nvidia card that I'd be happy to reuse in a new machine, but I don't want to buy a mobo that doesn't have PCI-E.

Any advice?
7 answers Last reply
More about adapter
  1. No.
  2. Quote:
    Is there some kind of adapter that can convert an AGP card to fit in a PCI-E slot? I have a 256MB AGP Nvidia card that I'd be happy to reuse in a new machine, but I don't want to buy a mobo that doesn't have PCI-E.

Any advice?

You could buy a board with both pcie and agp.

For an AMD board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813185068
    Its the pcchips one. The AsRock ones I have dealt with in AMD and they seem to work fairly well, only newegg is out of em. Here is the link for that board though.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157097

For an Intel board
    Heres 2 from newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280+1073407577+1073607587&Subcategory=280&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

At least if you buy a board with both of em you can use your card for now. A few fellas here at work has used the AMD AsRock ones and they worked fine.

Also I have read about Albatron coming out with a AGP to PCIe adapter but I have not been able to locate one or an actual picture or anything. I think they probably are at least in the works for an adapter but again I've not seen hard proof yet.

Hope that helped some. :)
  3. You can get some motherboards such as the ASRock Dual range that provide AGP and PCI-e sockets. At the price they are down to now it might be cheap enough to make sense as a stop gap motherboard.
  4. Quote:
    No.

Actually there are, but not readily available.

I have in fact seen an adapter for every combination possible, but most were announced products more than released, and some were released only in the busymarkets of Asia like this one that's AGP to PCI (like anyone would want that 8O );

There were a few APG->PCIe solutions out there, but I didn't keep them, because they weren't good, and have the same electrical issues as the G.E.A.R. slots. Technically with the Rialto from ATi and now 2-way HSI bridges from nV you could make them either way much beter than before, but it's not worth anyone's time or money considering the other options out there. Seriously only people with old P4s and Athlons don't have the PCIe and AGP options.

However THIS one card above just had to be archived. :wink:
  5. I love that card...

Notice how its only AGP 2X?? no 4 or 8x cards there!
  6. Just make sure that if you buy a motherboard with both AGP and PCI-E that it really has both AGP and PCI-E busses on the motherboard.

I was in the same boat as you a while back and made the mistake of buying an ECS (first mistake right there :roll: ) motherboard for my second system that supposedly had both. Turns out it had a PCI-E slot and a crappy AGP adapter slot that sat on the regular PCI bus, I plugged my 9800 Pro in and the video looked like crap. Of course ECS didn't advertise this fact on the box so I had to do some investigating after the fact to find out. I'm lucky Fry's is pretty good about returns!

I'm not sure if ECS is the only manufacturer who does this so just a word of warning.
  7. It seems like all the mobos with both are pretty low-end. My goal is maintaining an upgrade path, so I'm looking at P965/975 and 680i. Boards like those linked to above will limit me to a Pentium 4.

Looks like I'll just buy a new card.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Express Nvidia Graphics Product