Local Policy overiding Group Policy

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 20, 2005 6:43:02 PM

I have a situation where I have several group policies that are being applied
to computers in a container. The policies all apply fine with the exception
of 3 settings in one of the policies. I checked the local group policy on
the workstation and the three settings are all set to Disable. If I manually
change them to Not configured the policy gets applied correctly. My
understanding was that the local policy got over written by the group
policies from the domain... Am I wrong in this assumption???

I am trying to figure out how to resolve this with out having the go out and
remove the local policies on all the workstations we have already deployed.

Thanks!
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 4:29:32 AM

Hi,

>My understanding was that the local policy got over written by the
>group policies from the domain... Am I wrong in this assumption???

Local policies only get over written in case of a conflict. Therefore
if the Local ones have a setting and the Domain ones don’t then the
local settings will take effect. ALOT of settings are actually done
at the local level. For example, look in Security Settings - Local
Settings - User Rights Assignment on the Local policies. You will see
lots of settings here. These settings are in effect unless the Admin
changes them at the Domain level.

You can create a Computer OU and move all the computers into it.
Create a Computer GPO with the "enable" on the 3 settings you have
set for disable. That will counter act the Local Policy.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Local-overidi...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=783187