Local Policy overiding Group Policy

I have a situation where I have several group policies that are being applied
to computers in a container. The policies all apply fine with the exception
of 3 settings in one of the policies. I checked the local group policy on
the workstation and the three settings are all set to Disable. If I manually
change them to Not configured the policy gets applied correctly. My
understanding was that the local policy got over written by the group
policies from the domain... Am I wrong in this assumption???

I am trying to figure out how to resolve this with out having the go out and
remove the local policies on all the workstations we have already deployed.

Thanks!
1 answer Last reply
More about local policy overiding group policy

    Hi,

    >My understanding was that the local policy got over written by the
    >group policies from the domain... Am I wrong in this assumption???

    Local policies only get over written in case of a conflict. Therefore
    if the Local ones have a setting and the Domain ones don’t then the
    local settings will take effect. ALOT of settings are actually done
    at the local level. For example, look in Security Settings - Local
    Settings - User Rights Assignment on the Local policies. You will see
    lots of settings here. These settings are in effect unless the Admin
    changes them at the Domain level.

    You can create a Computer OU and move all the computers into it.
    Create a Computer GPO with the "enable" on the 3 settings you have
    set for disable. That will counter act the Local Policy.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Local-overiding-ftopict253751.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=783187