How to manage Users and Computers

I want to manage Users and Computers from a Windows XP Professional but
without terminal server.
Are there any tools that can do this job as it was the case with Windows NT
by using usrmgr and svrmgr ?
P.S. : the solution must be mobile because I want to administer from any
Windows XP Professional PC in the Active Directory
Thanks for your support,
Job
4 answers Last reply
More about manage users computers

    Take a look at the Adminpak. You can create a GPO that will follow you.
    Well, not really a very good technical explanation. Create a GPO that is
    linked to the OU in which the user account object that you would be using to
    do such tasks directly reside. Do this on the user configuration side of
    things. This way no matter on what PC that user account object logs on it
    will get the Administrative Tools. If necessary you can use Group
    Filtering. Since it is going to be Windows XP SP2 you can look into using
    WMI so that it applies only to WIN XP SP2 systems ( if you want ).

    The other possibility is to use Terminal Services in Admin Mode, as Hank
    suggested. There are, naturally, many other possible tools ( like VNC )
    available to you as well.

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24014

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "Job" <Job@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want to manage Users and Computers from a Windows XP Professional but
    > without terminal server.
    > Are there any tools that can do this job as it was the case with Windows
    > NT
    > by using usrmgr and svrmgr ?
    > P.S. : the solution must be mobile because I want to administer from any
    > Windows XP Professional PC in the Active Directory
    > Thanks for your support,
    > Job

    As my last posted information, I didn't want install any programs on the PCs
    but just use an executable which can do administration for Users and
    Computers. (like usrmgr or srvmgr in preceding Windows NT4)
    Are there any programs that can do that by preserving the PC environnement ?
    I don't need policy because I will use USERID which has the rights to do
    modification in the AD.
    Thanks for your next reply,
    Job

    "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:

    > Take a look at the Adminpak. You can create a GPO that will follow you.
    > Well, not really a very good technical explanation. Create a GPO that is
    > linked to the OU in which the user account object that you would be using to
    > do such tasks directly reside. Do this on the user configuration side of
    > things. This way no matter on what PC that user account object logs on it
    > will get the Administrative Tools. If necessary you can use Group
    > Filtering. Since it is going to be Windows XP SP2 you can look into using
    > WMI so that it applies only to WIN XP SP2 systems ( if you want ).
    >
    > The other possibility is to use Terminal Services in Admin Mode, as Hank
    > suggested. There are, naturally, many other possible tools ( like VNC )
    > available to you as well.
    >
    > --
    > Cary W. Shultz
    > Roanoke, VA 24014
    > Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >
    > http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    > http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >

    > "Job" <Job@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I want to manage Users and Computers from a Windows XP Professional but
    > > without terminal server.
    > > Are there any tools that can do this job as it was the case with Windows
    > > NT
    > > by using usrmgr and svrmgr ?
    > > P.S. : the solution must be mobile because I want to administer from any
    > > Windows XP Professional PC in the Active Directory
    > > Thanks for your support,
    > > Job

    Again,

    Take a look at the Adminpak.

    --

    > As my last posted information, I didn't want install any programs on the
    > PCs
    > but just use an executable which can do administration for Users and
    > Computers. (like usrmgr or srvmgr in preceding Windows NT4)
    > Are there any programs that can do that by preserving the PC environnement
    > ?
    > I don't need policy because I will use USERID which has the rights to do
    > modification in the AD.
    > Thanks for your next reply,
    > Job
    >
    > "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Take a look at the Adminpak. You can create a GPO that will follow you.
    >> Well, not really a very good technical explanation. Create a GPO that is
    >> linked to the OU in which the user account object that you would be using
    >> do such tasks directly reside. Do this on the user configuration side of
    >> things. This way no matter on what PC that user account object logs on
    >> it
    >> will get the Administrative Tools. If necessary you can use Group
    >> Filtering. Since it is going to be Windows XP SP2 you can look into
    >> using
    >> WMI so that it applies only to WIN XP SP2 systems ( if you want ).
    >>
    >> The other possibility is to use Terminal Services in Admin Mode, as Hank
    >> suggested. There are, naturally, many other possible tools ( like VNC )
    >> available to you as well.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cary W. Shultz
    >> Roanoke, VA 24014
    >> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >>
    >> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    >> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >>

    >> "Job" <Job@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I want to manage Users and Computers from a Windows XP Professional but
    >> > without terminal server.
    >> > Are there any tools that can do this job as it was the case with
    >> > Windows
    >> > NT
    >> > by using usrmgr and svrmgr ?
    >> > P.S. : the solution must be mobile because I want to administer from
    >> > any
    >> > Windows XP Professional PC in the Active Directory
    >> > Thanks for your support,
    >> > Job

    Hi,

    >but just use an executable which can do administration for Users and
    >Computers.

    As Cary said, Adminpak.msi is the only way to remotely open AD Users
    and Computers. It will do a "mini" install but it is nothing but a
    few windows files that are required for it to run.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-manage-Users-Computers-ftopict253872.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=783136