is my card dead!!!!!

diarmuidmark

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2004
:( I think I have one of those problems that makes you want to cry, hurl bits across the room :evil: and shove your screwdriver into the psu to end it all!!!

I had a graphics "lock up " on tuesday (whole playing gtr2) and on reboot ALL the bios splash screen, the winxp splash screen etc had corrupted graphics and windows would not start ....it will start in safe mode and when I have uninstalled the n vidia drivers but even then the bios splash screen is still corrupted 8O

I have tried changing monitor and get the same probs

My fear is that , as it is happening so early in the boot it must be a card problem ? any expert views ? please :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:cry:
:cry: :cry:
my sytem is asus mb , amd 3200 64bit , gig ram, MSI 6800 128 graphics card,
my os in winxp 64 pro
(sorry for the lack of details ...I am on the work pc)
I installed the latest nvidiadrivers before xmas and they seem to work fine , the msi site links me to an older version of the driver , I did try that but to no avail 8O :oops:
I don`t want to be stuck doing grown up things like e-mail and letters on my pc for long so I would appreciate any help

thanks Di

JJMAN

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
:( I think I have one of those problems that makes you want to cry, hurl bits across the room :evil: and shove your screwdriver into the psu to end it all!!!

I had a graphics "lock up " on tuesday (whole playing gtr2) and on reboot ALL the bios splash screen, the winxp splash screen etc had corrupted graphics and windows would not start ....it will start in safe mode and when I have uninstalled the n vidia drivers but even then the bios splash screen is still corrupted 8O

I have tried changing monitor and get the same probs

My fear is that , as it is happening so early in the boot it must be a card problem ? any expert views ? please :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:cry: :cry:
my sytem is asus mb , amd 3200 64bit , gig ram, MSI 6800 128 graphics card,
my os in winxp 64 pro
(sorry for the lack of details ...I am on the work pc)
I installed the latest nvidiadrivers before xmas and they seem to work fine , the msi site links me to an older version of the driver , I did try that but to no avail 8O :oops:
I don`t want to be stuck doing grown up things like e-mail and letters on my pc for long so I would appreciate any help

thanks Di

I honestly feel for ya. If your getten corruption in the bios that has nothing to do with your OS or drivers. Strickly hardware at this point. Which is your video card. The ONLY hope you have it TRY that card in another machine. I may sound like a broken record BUT I have seen power supplies flake out but still appear to work. Try another power supply maybe and see if that fixes your issue at all. If you try that and you try putting it into another machine and it still artifacts then your video card is probably bad. Sorry mang. Try those options first though.

diarmuidmark

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2004
:lol: thanks for the reply ......i will follow your advice and see if the psu is dodgey.....if not , I will look on the bright side , it was quite an old card ....so a better one wil improve my system :p
thanks again

JJMAN

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
:lol: thanks for the reply ......i will follow your advice and see if the psu is dodgey.....if not , I will look on the bright side , it was quite an old card ....so a better one wil improve my system :p
thanks again

Be sure and try that card in another computer "just" to make sure. That will tell if the card is in fact bad.