Recyle Bin

Is their any way that i can remove the recyle bin from the desktop with a
group policy using windows 2000 server
5 answers Last reply
More about recyle

    I know that there is a GP to do this with Windows XP, but I don't
    believe there is one for Windows 2000.

    See KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810869

    It says that the GP for removing the recycle bin is only available for
    Windows XP (and I'd imagine Server 2003 as well). Personally, for
    Windows 2000 I'd recommend tweakUI. But depending on the amount of
    machines you have, that could be unfeasable.
    Sorry I couldn't be more help.

    -Colin

    "ctorretta1" wrote:
    > I know that there is a GP to do this with Windows XP, but I
    > don't
    > believe there is one for Windows 2000.
    >
    > See KB article:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810869
    >
    > It says that the GP for removing the recycle bin is only
    > available for
    > Windows XP (and I'd imagine Server 2003 as well). Personally,
    > for
    > Windows 2000 I'd recommend tweakUI. But depending on the
    > amount of
    > machines you have, that could be unfeasable.
    > Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    >
    > -Colin

    Hi,

    The weird thing is the policies that MS said "only ran on Windows
    XP" actually ran on Windows 2000 until they added the "if version <
    4" into the new SP2 system.ADM’s. You can always copy the recycle bin
    section and modify it and see if you could get it to work.

    POLICY !!NoRecycleBinIcon
    KEYNAME
    "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum"
    deletethisline #if version >= 4
    deletethisline SUPPORTED !!SUPPORTED_WindowsXP
    deletethisline #endif

    EXPLAIN !!NoRecycleBinIcon_Help
    VALUENAME "{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}"
    END POLICY

    Cheers

    Lara

    PS Make backups first.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Recyle-Bin-ftopict254040.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=783133

    will i need windows xp to do this, if i do then i will not be able to do it
    because i do not use windows xp on the network

    "lforbes" wrote:

    > "ctorretta1" wrote:
    > > I know that there is a GP to do this with Windows XP, but I
    > > don't
    > > believe there is one for Windows 2000.
    > >
    > > See KB article:
    > >
    > > It says that the GP for removing the recycle bin is only
    > > available for
    > > Windows XP (and I'd imagine Server 2003 as well). Personally,
    > > for
    > > Windows 2000 I'd recommend tweakUI. But depending on the
    > > amount of
    > > machines you have, that could be unfeasable.
    > > Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    > >
    > > -Colin
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > The weird thing is the policies that MS said "only ran on Windows
    > XP" actually ran on Windows 2000 until they added the "if version <
    > 4" into the new SP2 system.ADM’s. You can always copy the recycle bin
    > section and modify it and see if you could get it to work.
    >
    > POLICY !!NoRecycleBinIcon
    > KEYNAME
    > "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum"
    > deletethisline #if version >= 4
    > deletethisline SUPPORTED !!SUPPORTED_WindowsXP
    > deletethisline #endif
    >
    > EXPLAIN !!NoRecycleBinIcon_Help
    > VALUENAME "{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}"
    > END POLICY
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Lara
    >
    > PS Make backups first.

    > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Recyle-Bin-ftopict254040.html
    > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=783133

    >will i need windows xp to do this, if i do then i will not be able to
    >do it because i do not use windows xp on the network

    You just need a copy of the Windows XP SP2 ADM’s which are the newest
    ADM’s for the Win 2000/2003 Servers out there. They will run on
    Windows 2000 or 2003 Server, but back up the current adm’s first just
    in case. I have them here
    http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/downloads/xpsp2adm.zip

    However, you can just cut and paste what I posted previously into a
    custom ADM and edit it removing the version lines. Look at the
    current .adm’s on your server for how to add the beginning parts and
    the strings at the end.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    thanks that work

    "lforbes" wrote:

    > >will i need windows xp to do this, if i do then i will not be able to
    > >do it because i do not use windows xp on the network
    >
    > You just need a copy of the Windows XP SP2 ADM’s which are the newest
    > ADM’s for the Win 2000/2003 Servers out there. They will run on
    > Windows 2000 or 2003 Server, but back up the current adm’s first just
    > in case. I have them here
    > http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/downloads/xpsp2adm.zip
    >
    > However, you can just cut and paste what I posted previously into a
    > custom ADM and edit it removing the version lines. Look at the
    > current .adm’s on your server for how to add the beginning parts and
    > the strings at the end.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Lara

Policy Desktops Servers Microsoft Windows 2000 Windows