my doc's redirection not working

km

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

i have the following setup in active directory:
two group policies: default domain policy, and base user security policy
four organizational units containing users, one of them has only admins and
IT personnel while the other three ou's are just users divided up by the
department that they work in. the default domain policy has only one setting
changed in it: my documents redirection, and i have it applied across the
board to all ou's. the base user security policy has almost all of the
settings enabled listed under microsofts article labeled "How to lock down a
windows 2000 terminal server session"...but one of the ones not configured is
the folder redirection. My thoughts are this: since the default domain
policy is higher in the list of policies, its folder redirections setting
takes precedence right? so why is the folder redirection not working on my
three users ou's? i have even tried setting the folder redirection setting
on the base user security policy...and i get no results, even when they are
both set. thanks in advance for your help!

Hi,

>My thoughts are this: since the default domain policy is higher in
the
>list of policies, its folder redirections setting takes precedence
>right?

Actually no. The Policies that always win in a fight are the ones
Closest to the User. Therefore the Default Domain Policy would apply
unless there was something on the sublevel OU’s to counter it.

Folder redirection Only works IF the folder is already there (or the
user has the permission to create it) and if the user has full control
of the folder.

Folder redirection Doesn’t work if DNS isn’t working properly (this I
know for a fact). Check to make sure your DNS is setup properly and
all your workstations are in the DNS server with their CURRENT IP.
http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/dns.htm

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-doc-redirection-working-ftopict254120.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=783134

km

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

i am just so confused by all of this...i know my dns stuff is working, and if
i take my second policy out, and only have redirection setup with the default
domain policy, then it works. the only problem with that is that i am trying
to lock down user sessions and obliviously i dont want to lock down the whole
domain (like admins) so i need a second policy to apply to my users....when
i set up the second policy i cant get it to work. someone suggested to me to
take away the links for the default domain policy and have a policy that only
applies to my admins, and a separate one that applies to my users, but for
some reason that didnt work either. for some reason, redirection only works

"lforbes" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >My thoughts are this: since the default domain policy is higher in
> the
> >list of policies, its folder redirections setting takes precedence
> >right?
>
> Actually no. The Policies that always win in a fight are the ones
> Closest to the User. Therefore the Default Domain Policy would apply
> unless there was something on the sublevel OU’s to counter it.
>
> Folder redirection Only works IF the folder is already there (or the
> user has the permission to create it) and if the user has full control
> of the folder.
>
> Folder redirection Doesn’t work if DNS isn’t working properly (this I
> know for a fact). Check to make sure your DNS is setup properly and
> all your workstations are in the DNS server with their CURRENT IP.
> http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/dns.htm
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lara

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-doc-redirection-working-ftopict254120.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=783134

km

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

i take my last post back...if i strip everything down to just the default
domain policy and have no settings configured in it except for the folder
redirection, then folder redirection will only work on my admin
organizational unit...which is weird becuase i thought the default domain
policy was supposed to automatically apply to the entire domain. i tried
manually applying the policy to my other ou's, but it had no effect at all.
any suggestions?

"user4791" wrote:
> [...]
> working properly (this I
>  > > know for a fact). Check to make sure your DNS is
> setup properly and
>  > > all your workstations are in the DNS server with
> their CURRENT IP.
>  > > http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/dns.htm
>  > >
>  > > Cheers,
>  > >
>  > > Lara
>  > >
>  > > --
>  > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com
> interface, at author's request
>  > > Articles individually checked for conformance to
> usenet standards
>  > > Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-doc-redirection-working-ftopict254120.html
>  > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd).

Hi,

It sounds like there is a problem redirecting to the folders.

1> Have you setup User Folders under Account Properties of the user.
Eg. Map H: \\server\share

2> Did it create the home folder?

3> How are you doing Folder Redirection? Are you redirecting all to
one location or by Group? Personally I redirect via Group because I
have different groups of users I want to redirect to different places.

Eg. ABC Users Group maps to \\Server\ABC Users\%username%

Could be a permissions problem if it works for admins.

Check the event viewer on the machine. If folder redirection doesn’t
work it will tell you why in the event viewer on the client machines.

Cheers,

Lara

km

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

here's how i have it set up:
i have a shared folder called "users" set up on my server. i have the
policy set to redirect all users to the same folder at this path
\\lloyd\users\%username%
when i log in as myself, a folder called kmortensen is created in the users
folder and the redirection works. when i log in as one of my loan officers,
lets say Joe Schmoe, a folder is created in the users folder called jschmoe
but the redirection does not work. i know it does not work because if i open
my documents, there is a my pictures folder, and if i open jschmoe, there is
1. no my documents folder and
2. no my pictures folder and
3. i have mapped a drive via a logon script with the same path (
\\lloy\users\%username%) and if i put a new file or folder in that mapped
drive, nothing new shows up in my documents.

"user4791" wrote:
> [...]
>   > > > >
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > It sounds like there is a problem redirecting to the
> folders.
> >
> > 1> Have you setup User Folders under Account Properties
> of the user.
> > Eg. Map H: \servershare
> >
> > 2> Did it create the home folder?
> >
> > 3> How are you doing Folder Redirection? Are you
> redirecting all to
> > one location or by Group? Personally I redirect via Group
> because I
> > have different groups of users I want to redirect to
> different places.
> >
> > Eg. ABC Users Group maps to \ServerABC Users%username%
> >
> > Could be a permissions problem if it works for admins.
> >
> > Check the event viewer on the machine. If folder redirection
> doesn’t
> > work it will tell you why in the event viewer on the client

Hi,

That is weird. However, I have had that happened before. It sounds
like permissions if it is not admin and admin. Are there any errors
on the client machines event viewer? It will list the errors.

A good way to test this is to logon as a user and try to manually set
redirection. Eg. Right Click "My Documents" and change target. See
if you can manually change the target to the users folder. It may give
you some errors there.

what are the permissions set on your \\lloyd\users folder? What
Server OS are you using 2000 or 2003?

Cheers,

Lara

km

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

ntfs permissions for this folder are full access for "everyone", and as far
as logging on to a client machine for the event viewer goes, i have
nothing...today i just got too frustrated with it and decided to start over
(it is a new setup and we are a small company...only 20 users) and i just
deleted all of my users and recreated them with the same settings and
everything worked...i have no clue what went wrong, but i am glad to be
getting back on track. Thank you so very, very much for your time and help.
I really appreciate it!

"user4791" wrote:
> [...]
>   > > >
>   > > > Cheers,
>   > > >
>   > > > Lara
>   > > >
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > That is weird. However, I have had that happened before. It
> sounds
> > like permissions if it is not admin and admin. Are there
> any errors
> > on the client machines event viewer? It will list the
> errors.
> >
> > A good way to test this is to logon as a user and try to
> manually set
> > redirection. Eg. Right Click "My Documents" and change
> target. See
> > if you can manually change the target to the users folder.
> It may give
> > you some errors there.
> >
> > what are the permissions set on your \lloydusers folder?

Hi,

No problem. Glad you got it fixed. Sometimes starting from scratch is
the only way to fix something.

Cheers,

Lara