Sign in with
Your question

Tray or Box Purchase?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 25, 2007 6:03:22 PM

I'm noticing that there are two options when purchasing an E6600... Tray or Box...

Is there any pro or con to either?

More about : tray box purchase

January 25, 2007 6:32:05 PM

Never heard of either version, where are you buying the cpu from?

Edit: Wait, tray and box can refer to OEM and retail versions of parts, is that what you mean? If so, get the retail version unless your planning on getting an after markey hsf, the OEM version doesnt come with a hsf. Also, the OEM version of cpu's (and most other parts for that matter) come with a shorter warrenty, or none at all.
January 25, 2007 6:36:01 PM

When you say tray, do you mean OEM? If you are then I would suggest a box processor. With the boxed processor you get a 3 year warranty vs. 30 days.
Related resources
a c 473 à CPUs
January 25, 2007 6:39:07 PM

Box = Retail = 3 Yr. Warranty

Tray = OEM = 15 Days to 1 Year Warranty (depending on seller) & no HeatSink/Fan
January 25, 2007 11:45:19 PM

Quote:

Edit: Wait, tray and box can refer to OEM and retail versions of parts, is that what you mean? If so, get the retail version unless your planning on getting an after markey hsf, the OEM version doesnt come with a hsf. Also, the OEM version of cpu's (and most other parts for that matter) come with a shorter warrenty, or none at all.

http://shop2.outpost.com/search?search_type=regular&sqx...

There are two options, w/only $5 separating the two. Looks like a packaging issue, but I don't know why one would choose one over the other.
January 25, 2007 11:48:30 PM

Quote:

http://shop2.outpost.com/search?search_type=regular&sqx...

There are two options, w/only $5 separating the two. Looks like a packaging issue, but I don't know why one would choose one over the other.

Uh, for $5 bucks...get the box version.
January 26, 2007 12:05:32 AM

yeah.... these days boxed CPU's are close the cost of tray CPU's (in retail). box is the best and worth the extra $5-20.
January 26, 2007 2:59:38 AM

Quote:
Boxed is best if you do not overclock and want the best warrantee, OEM or Tray CPUs are not warranteed by the CPU maker.

Also, Tray is a bit of a misnomer, it really should be OEM. A tray refers to a carrier with many CPUs:

This is a tray.

You know, that's what I thought when I first read the title.

I thought the OP was planning on buying a tray of 1000 units. :lol: 
January 26, 2007 4:15:02 AM

Quote:
Boxed is best if you do not overclock and want the best warrantee, OEM or Tray CPUs are not warranteed by the CPU maker.

Also, Tray is a bit of a misnomer, it really should be OEM. A tray refers to a carrier with many CPUs:

This is a tray.

Jack, maybe thats how the manufacturers carry them, but those of us who know you better know you treat yours a little more cautiously :wink:

January 26, 2007 4:42:03 AM

:lol: 
January 26, 2007 8:23:53 PM

Who would ever be dumb enough to stick a chip into styrofoam haven't they seen it cling to everything with static charge.
January 26, 2007 8:56:24 PM

Tiger Direct.
January 27, 2007 1:10:44 AM

*shudders* Please don't start another forum hijack about the consequences of using styrofoam which apparently will kill you if mixed with the delicate CPU :lol: 

I would buy the tray, thats 100 CPU's for how much? :lol: 
January 27, 2007 1:44:51 AM

Buy from Newegg. Newegg doesn't do Tiger shipping, they will send your product to you in a remodeled Corvette Stingray driven by a beautiful blonde who like beer... and you. [/impersonating Newegg fanboy]
-cm
January 27, 2007 2:35:53 AM

Apparently styrofoam is a sensitive topic. Nuf said
January 27, 2007 3:08:22 PM

Bad childhood styrofoam memories.

YOUNG ERIC: "MOOOOMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYY!"
MOTHER: "What's wrong, dear, sweet Eric? Oh, you have a GIANT BLOCK of styrofoam down your throat. You are also a very ugly baby."

Those were the days.
-cm
!