Best Gaming Hard Drive

• Hitachi GTS DeskStar 7K500 [Best XP Startup]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hitachi GTS DeskStar 7K160 [Best Interface Performance]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD [Best Random Access Time, Best Average Read, Best Average Write]

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Western Digital SE16 WD5000KS [All-Arround Average/High Scores, Best Price/Performance]

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other Drive [Please Post]

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Wait for Vista''''s ReadyDrives

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

FreakTrap

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Hello:

I'm looking to get the best hard-drive possible for gaming, and I am pretty damn thrown off by the interactive charts. Please vote in the poll which drive you think would be the best option.

Note: I am concerned with speed the most; however, If a 74gb is only going to boot XP or get me in-game 1/2 second faster than a 500gb drive then I would rather go with the 500gb.

Thanks,
Robert

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Just in case anyone is wondering if the Maxtor ATLAS 15K II 15000RPM HD might be better... After playing with it for a while i prefer my Raptor. However the Atlas makes an amazing storage drive...
-Cheers

I just like all those benchmarks involving 3dmax, or rendering with Premier. You save maybe 2-5 seconds...some times 15 when you have a better hard drive.

I dunno about you, but when I am rendering anything or doing something hard drive intensive, im usually occupied by some other project and never notice an extra 20seconds.

Now, when there are great improvements, like encoding divx between a 1ghz and a c2d, then ya, that is a noticeable improvement. (5-15minutes).

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Get a Raptor - they're the fastest non-SCSI drives around, and are noticeably faster than 7200 drives.

It's the games with longer load times that you'll notice the most difference, and those are the ones that are annoying.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
only thing i can think of when reading this is... lol at gaming harddrive..... considering aside from loading a zone in perhaps a mmo i cant see how its going to make any difference since almost no game will even read the hard drive at all during play.

4745454b

Titan
3+ ?

raid 0 has to be 2 or 4 etc drives to do it ;)

raid 0 seek times go up (bad), raw mb/s goes up (good)

Nope, you simply need 2+ drives to do AID0. You can setup a 3, 5, or 7 disk AID0 array. Its a limit of the controller you use, not the RAID level. If you don't believe me, follow this link and look at the pictures. They clearly show the performance difference between 2, 3, and 4 disk AID0 setups.

Ya I double checked just to make sure cause you guys were confusing me..

Raid 0 or raid 1 can be any number of drives. Look it up, I verified it with a few sites.

Note: depends how you calculate it. Per controller, per array....

Bleh. W/e Maybe I am thinking of Raid 1 > raid 0 (2 or more raid 1's.)

Good night.

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
To me, the $150 I paid for my 74Gb Raptor is definitely worth it. I absolutely HATE waiting for my hard drive for any amount of time. Even if it is only a few seconds, I'll pay the price for performance.

If I had the money I'd do a Raptor RAID 0 or even a 15k RPM SCSI if it weren't out of my price range at the moment. XD Being a computer performance enthusiast on a budget sucks. :/

Edit: In fact I'd rather have an I-Ram for my OS and apps. If only it weren't so blasted expensive for all the RAM I'd need... *flinches from pains in the wallet*

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
if 2 seconds of extra speed is really worth a few hundred dollars to you on loading a game and pretty much nothing else while playing by al means lol. Some people are just not crazy.