Keep loosing SD card in file explorer

April 22, 2005 1:53:20 PM

I have an Ipaq hx4700. Until now I have been very pleased with it, but
yesterday, it would not open .jpg's on the sd card. If I clicked on one,
the ppc locked up, and required a soft reset, or sometimes the battery catch
opening. I could copy a .jpg to cf card or Ipaq file store and all was ok!.
Whilst trying to diagnose the problem, as HP viewer would open the files,
but Resco picture viewer would not, all the files on the sd card
disappeared. I ended up using a file recovery program on a card reader to
recover everything. I then formatted the sd card and put all the info back
on. It is now better, but every so often, when looking at directory's in
Resco (or Active Sync) the folders are shown as empty. Sometimes the card
is shown as empty apart from the odd file like "$$~£-"

If I take out the card and replace it all is ok. If I check the card in a
card reader it is ok. I cannot produce the fault at will, and am still
trying to find out if it is the ppc or the card. Has anyone experienced
anything similar? I have even tried benchmarking the card with Pocket
Mechanic, and it always works ok. If it persists, and I expect it will, I
will have to try the card in another ppc (but only a zire 72 available, so
not ideal) or another card in mine. The problem being, nearly all the
programs are installed on the sd card.

512meg sd, 1024meg cf card.

John
April 22, 2005 1:53:21 PM

I had a similar problem last year when my 2210 couldn't detect a 64mb SD
card (San Disk brand). My ipaq detected other SD cards but for some reason
couldn't detect that one despite the fact that it was detected as good on my
friend's laptop, then his camera, and then his ipaq. We couldn't figure it
out at all. (No wonder the owner of that card was quick to sell it to me.
Good thing he gave me my money back!)

"John" <spam@spamvirgin.net> wrote in message
> I have an Ipaq hx4700. Until now I have been very pleased with it, but
> yesterday, it would not open .jpg's on the sd card. If I clicked on one,
> the ppc locked up, and required a soft reset, or sometimes the battery
catch
> opening. I could copy a .jpg to cf card or Ipaq file store and all was
ok!.
> Whilst trying to diagnose the problem, as HP viewer would open the files,
> but Resco picture viewer would not, all the files on the sd card
> disappeared. I ended up using a file recovery program on a card reader to
> recover everything. I then formatted the sd card and put all the info
back
> on. It is now better, but every so often, when looking at directory's in
> Resco (or Active Sync) the folders are shown as empty. Sometimes the card
> is shown as empty apart from the odd file like "$$~£-"
>
> If I take out the card and replace it all is ok. If I check the card in a
> card reader it is ok. I cannot produce the fault at will, and am still
> trying to find out if it is the ppc or the card. Has anyone experienced
> anything similar? I have even tried benchmarking the card with Pocket
> Mechanic, and it always works ok. If it persists, and I expect it will, I
> will have to try the card in another ppc (but only a zire 72 available, so
> not ideal) or another card in mine. The problem being, nearly all the
> programs are installed on the sd card.
>
> 512meg sd, 1024meg cf card.
>
> John

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:53:22 PM

One thing I have heard to try, is backup all the data on the SD card, then
use the built in backup program on the PPC, and run a backup to the SD card.
Then, delete the backup, and move the data you had on the SD card back. I
have heard this formats the cards the correct way. It might be worth a try
anyway.

"Prometheus" <pcpartsforless@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I had a similar problem last year when my 2210 couldn't detect a 64mb SD
> card (San Disk brand). My ipaq detected other SD cards but for some
> reason
> couldn't detect that one despite the fact that it was detected as good on
> my
> friend's laptop, then his camera, and then his ipaq. We couldn't figure
> it
> out at all. (No wonder the owner of that card was quick to sell it to me.
> Good thing he gave me my money back!)
>
> "John" <spam@spamvirgin.net> wrote in message
>> I have an Ipaq hx4700. Until now I have been very pleased with it, but
>> yesterday, it would not open .jpg's on the sd card. If I clicked on one,
>> the ppc locked up, and required a soft reset, or sometimes the battery
> catch
>> opening. I could copy a .jpg to cf card or Ipaq file store and all was
> ok!.
>> Whilst trying to diagnose the problem, as HP viewer would open the files,
>> but Resco picture viewer would not, all the files on the sd card
>> disappeared. I ended up using a file recovery program on a card reader
>> recover everything. I then formatted the sd card and put all the info
> back
>> on. It is now better, but every so often, when looking at directory's in
>> Resco (or Active Sync) the folders are shown as empty. Sometimes the
>> card
>> is shown as empty apart from the odd file like "$$~£-"
>>
>> If I take out the card and replace it all is ok. If I check the card in
>> card reader it is ok. I cannot produce the fault at will, and am still
>> trying to find out if it is the ppc or the card. Has anyone experienced
>> anything similar? I have even tried benchmarking the card with Pocket
>> Mechanic, and it always works ok. If it persists, and I expect it will,
>> will have to try the card in another ppc (but only a zire 72 available,
>> so
>> not ideal) or another card in mine. The problem being, nearly all the
>> programs are installed on the sd card.
>>
>> 512meg sd, 1024meg cf card.
>>
>> John

Related resources
April 22, 2005 4:47:14 PM

Same thing on h6315

Strange SD Card behavior: I asked around with techy
support and these outsourced folks don't know and don't
support. My experience is that SD cards always work on XP
and sometimes on PPC.

My fix is: Check your maximum path length on the storage
card. If the directory hierarchy and max length file name
is about 100 characters your PPC will crash big time when
scanning the storage card. Since this buffer overrun
crash behavior is random any strange occurences could be
attributed to this problem.
Rename \Storage
Card\verylongpathindeed\verystructuredsubdirectoryname\lon
gfilename.doc to
\Storage Card\d1\longfilename.doc

-HH
April 23, 2005 12:00:05 AM

Hi

I have had the hx4700 since xmas with the same 512meg sd card and no
problems. Why should it suddenly start? I have been trying to re-create
the fault by copying large files, and many small files, but it will not
fail! At the time it screwed up it was only on .jpg's as it open all other
file formats. It would even open up .jpg's with the built in HP picture
viewer, but not Resco. Strange thing computers!

At present the card is only half full, but 1 mont ago it was nearly full and
no problems

Time will tell

John

"HH" <imharry@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> Same thing on h6315
>
> Strange SD Card behavior: I asked around with techy
> support and these outsourced folks don't know and don't
> support. My experience is that SD cards always work on XP
> and sometimes on PPC.
>
> My fix is: Check your maximum path length on the storage
> card. If the directory hierarchy and max length file name
> is about 100 characters your PPC will crash big time when
> scanning the storage card. Since this buffer overrun
> crash behavior is random any strange occurences could be
> attributed to this problem.
> Rename \Storage
> Card\verylongpathindeed\verystructuredsubdirectoryname\lon
> gfilename.doc to
> \Storage Card\d1\longfilename.doc
>
> -HH
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 2:12:53 AM

There have been problems reported with SD cards and reading where poor
contact has been the issue and sticking a layer of sellotape on the
back of the memory card has increased the contact pressure solving the
issue. Try at your own risk though.

!