sharing folders on a pocket PC

April 22, 2005 7:47:59 AM

Hi,

I am running PPC2003SE on an imate Kam with a sandisk wifi card.

Is there *any* way to connect to another PPC device and browse folders
/ share files over wifi?

I have managed to set up an ad-hoc connection and we can ping each
other.

I can also browse networked folders on PC's using Pocket Lan.

What Icannot seem to do is share folders *on* a pocket PC.

I dont want to use Bluetooth, it seems crazy that you cant share PPC
folders for wifi access?

any way to do it?

tia.

--
rmg.

More about : sharing folders pocket

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 12:27:30 PM

Hello,

You may want to look at Resco Explorer 2005 as I am pretty sure it will
allow you to do what you want. You can get a demo version at their site.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"rmg" <rmgwmx@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am running PPC2003SE on an imate Kam with a sandisk wifi card.
>
> Is there *any* way to connect to another PPC device and browse folders
> / share files over wifi?
>
> I have managed to set up an ad-hoc connection and we can ping each
> other.
>
> I can also browse networked folders on PC's using Pocket Lan.
>
> What Icannot seem to do is share folders *on* a pocket PC.
>
> I dont want to use Bluetooth, it seems crazy that you cant share PPC
> folders for wifi access?
>
> any way to do it?
>
> tia.
>
> --
> rmg.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:10:33 PM

"Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
<management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message
news:o bkurd0RFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| Hello,
|
| You may want to look at Resco Explorer 2005 as I am pretty sure it will
| allow you to do what you want. You can get a demo version at their site.

the other suggestion is to search for a web server for your PPC (I think
there are a few available now) and access the files via the web browser.
not as fully functional as "sharing" them, but might work for your needs.
April 22, 2005 4:06:22 PM

"Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
<management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message
news:o bkurd0RFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> You may want to look at Resco Explorer 2005 as I am pretty sure it will
> allow you to do what you want. You can get a demo version at their site.
>
> Regards,

Is there a special link for Resco Explorer 2005? All I can find is 2003,
and it does not allow mapping shares on the PPC itself. I figured it was
about time for an update...
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 10:41:56 PM

No, Resco won't let you do that either, though it is an excellent p[rogram
in it's own right. Short of setting up a web or ftp server on your PPC there
is no way for other PPCs to access it's files as if they were shared.

"xTenn" <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote in message

> "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
> <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message
> news:o bkurd0RFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Hello,
>>
>> You may want to look at Resco Explorer 2005 as I am pretty sure it will
>> allow you to do what you want. You can get a demo version at their site.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> Is there a special link for Resco Explorer 2005? All I can find is 2003,
> and it does not allow mapping shares on the PPC itself. I figured it was
> about time for an update...

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 1:08:53 AM

The basic design of ppc is that it is a "client" and does not have any
native "host" capabilities.

The negative of this is that you can't do what you need, but the
positive is that no one can do that to your device which is the primary
reason that it is a secure device that is not subject to outside hackers.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 1:24:43 AM

My mistake, it is 2003. I just got ahead of their schedule! :-D

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"xTenn" <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote in message

> "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
> <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message
> news:o bkurd0RFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Hello,
>>
>> You may want to look at Resco Explorer 2005 as I am pretty sure it will
>> allow you to do what you want. You can get a demo version at their site.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> Is there a special link for Resco Explorer 2005? All I can find is 2003,
> and it does not allow mapping shares on the PPC itself. I figured it was
> about time for an update...

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 4:01:25 PM

> My mistake, it is 2003. I just got ahead of their schedule! :-D

Darn, too bad. I was looking forward to checking it out.

Well, maybe next few months when Windows Mobile 2005 hits Resco will bring
out Explorer 2005, with the latest Really Cool Feature (tm - patent
pending). ;)
!