Make second disk bootable

Hello,

Recently I added an extra harddisk to my PC. Until then I had one
(bootable) harddisk running win98. On this second harddisk I installed
winXP. Because the first harddisk is getting old, I want to remove it
from the system. However, when I remove it, the system cannot boot
from the second harddisk, because it has not been made bootable. Can
anyone tell me how I can make the second harddisk (that is running
winXP) bootable, without having to reinstall winXP, and so that I can
savely remove the first harddisk?

Thanks,
Niels
4 answers Last reply
More about make disk bootable

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Niels van Tongeren" wrote:

    | Hello,
    |
    | Recently I added an extra harddisk to my PC. Until then I had one
    | (bootable) harddisk running win98. On this second harddisk I installed
    | winXP. Because the first harddisk is getting old, I want to remove it
    | from the system. However, when I remove it, the system cannot boot
    | from the second harddisk, because it has not been made bootable. Can
    | anyone tell me how I can make the second harddisk (that is running
    | winXP) bootable, without having to reinstall winXP, and so that I can
    | savely remove the first harddisk?
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Niels

    Removing WinME when dual booting with XP

    Remove a dual boot. #19
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#19
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Niels van Tongeren" <nielsvantongeren@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Recently I added an extra harddisk to my PC. Until then I had one
    > (bootable) harddisk running win98. On this second harddisk I installed
    > winXP. Because the first harddisk is getting old, I want to remove it
    > from the system. However, when I remove it, the system cannot boot
    > from the second harddisk, because it has not been made bootable. Can
    > anyone tell me how I can make the second harddisk (that is running
    > winXP) bootable, without having to reinstall winXP, and so that I can
    > savely remove the first harddisk?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Niels

    "Niels van Tongeren" <nielsvantongeren@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Recently I added an extra harddisk to my PC. Until then I had one
    > (bootable) harddisk running win98. On this second harddisk I installed
    > winXP. Because the first harddisk is getting old, I want to remove it
    > from the system. However, when I remove it, the system cannot boot
    > from the second harddisk, because it has not been made bootable. Can
    > anyone tell me how I can make the second harddisk (that is running
    > winXP) bootable, without having to reinstall winXP, and so that I can
    > savely remove the first harddisk?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Niels

    this could be complicated because you boot files are on C: and will be
    removed...
    even worse...XP is on drive D: which may loose that assignment when C: is
    removed

    you may need to use a 3rd party utility and repartition your present drive
    and create a small C: bootable partition

    "Niels van Tongeren" <nielsvantongeren@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Recently I added an extra harddisk to my PC. Until then I had one
    > (bootable) harddisk running win98. On this second harddisk I installed
    > winXP. Because the first harddisk is getting old, I want to remove it
    > from the system. However, when I remove it, the system cannot boot
    > from the second harddisk, because it has not been made bootable. Can
    > anyone tell me how I can make the second harddisk (that is running
    > winXP) bootable, without having to reinstall winXP, and so that I can
    > savely remove the first harddisk?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Niels

    As you are removing the first drive ( C ?) which contains the hidden boot
    records and you wish to boot from the new drive which is currently ( D ?) I
    think you will run into registry problems with your installed programs. A
    repair install of the new drive on its own would assign drive letter C to
    the first partition which is presumably D at the moment and this is probably
    where the OS and your programs reside.

    Richard.

Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP