Make second disk bootable

February 15, 2005 9:04:30 AM

Hello,

Recently I added an extra harddisk to my PC. Until then I had one
(bootable) harddisk running win98. On this second harddisk I installed
winXP. Because the first harddisk is getting old, I want to remove it
from the system. However, when I remove it, the system cannot boot
from the second harddisk, because it has not been made bootable. Can
anyone tell me how I can make the second harddisk (that is running
winXP) bootable, without having to reinstall winXP, and so that I can
savely remove the first harddisk?

Thanks,
Niels

More about : make disk bootable

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 11:14:28 AM

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Niels van Tongeren" wrote:

| Hello,
|
| Recently I added an extra harddisk to my PC. Until then I had one
| (bootable) harddisk running win98. On this second harddisk I installed
| winXP. Because the first harddisk is getting old, I want to remove it
| from the system. However, when I remove it, the system cannot boot
| from the second harddisk, because it has not been made bootable. Can
| anyone tell me how I can make the second harddisk (that is running
| winXP) bootable, without having to reinstall winXP, and so that I can
| savely remove the first harddisk?
|
| Thanks,
| Niels
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 12:27:15 PM

Removing WinME when dual booting with XP

Remove a dual boot. #19
http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#19
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Niels van Tongeren" <nielsvantongeren@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Recently I added an extra harddisk to my PC. Until then I had one
> (bootable) harddisk running win98. On this second harddisk I installed
> winXP. Because the first harddisk is getting old, I want to remove it
> from the system. However, when I remove it, the system cannot boot
> from the second harddisk, because it has not been made bootable. Can
> anyone tell me how I can make the second harddisk (that is running
> winXP) bootable, without having to reinstall winXP, and so that I can
> savely remove the first harddisk?
>
> Thanks,
> Niels
Related resources
February 15, 2005 1:27:50 PM

"Niels van Tongeren" <nielsvantongeren@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Recently I added an extra harddisk to my PC. Until then I had one
> (bootable) harddisk running win98. On this second harddisk I installed
> winXP. Because the first harddisk is getting old, I want to remove it
> from the system. However, when I remove it, the system cannot boot
> from the second harddisk, because it has not been made bootable. Can
> anyone tell me how I can make the second harddisk (that is running
> winXP) bootable, without having to reinstall winXP, and so that I can
> savely remove the first harddisk?
>
> Thanks,
> Niels

this could be complicated because you boot files are on C: and will be
removed...
even worse...XP is on drive D: which may loose that assignment when C: is
removed

you may need to use a 3rd party utility and repartition your present drive
and create a small C: bootable partition
February 15, 2005 5:51:03 PM

"Niels van Tongeren" <nielsvantongeren@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Recently I added an extra harddisk to my PC. Until then I had one
> (bootable) harddisk running win98. On this second harddisk I installed
> winXP. Because the first harddisk is getting old, I want to remove it
> from the system. However, when I remove it, the system cannot boot
> from the second harddisk, because it has not been made bootable. Can
> anyone tell me how I can make the second harddisk (that is running
> winXP) bootable, without having to reinstall winXP, and so that I can
> savely remove the first harddisk?
>
> Thanks,
> Niels

As you are removing the first drive ( C ?) which contains the hidden boot
records and you wish to boot from the new drive which is currently ( D ?) I
think you will run into registry problems with your installed programs. A
repair install of the new drive on its own would assign drive letter C to
the first partition which is presumably D at the moment and this is probably
where the OS and your programs reside.

Richard.
!