Want to run a batch file invisibly

Hello:

I have a batch file that I want to run on all my users workstations every
they logon. When the batch file runs it takes about 30 seconds to finish.
I would like to run the batch file invisibly and have it so it does not slow
down the computer. I tried toying around with the User
Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon/Logoff polices but it
didn't seem to work. I tried:

Run logon scripts visible Disabled
Run logon scripts synchronously Enable

Does anyone know how I can speed this up this and hide the batch file so the
user does not see it?

Harrison Midkiff
8 answers Last reply
More about want batch file invisibly

    If you use the user login script feature of Group Policy (rather than
    placing it in each user's profile settings), it will run invisibly.

    Oli

    "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com> wrote in message
    > Hello:
    >
    > I have a batch file that I want to run on all my users workstations every
    > they logon. When the batch file runs it takes about 30 seconds to finish.
    > I would like to run the batch file invisibly and have it so it does not
    > slow down the computer. I tried toying around with the User
    > Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon/Logoff polices but it
    > didn't seem to work. I tried:
    >
    > Run logon scripts visible Disabled
    > Run logon scripts synchronously Enable
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can speed this up this and hide the batch file so
    > the user does not see it?
    >
    > Harrison Midkiff

    Hi Harrison ,

    As Oli has suggested, I believe logon script is the better choice.You can
    assign a logon script to an individual user account when you type the path
    to the logon script file in the Login script box of the Profile tab in the
    UserName Properties dialog box in Computer Management. When a user logs on
    and a path to the logon script for the user account appears, the server
    locates and runs the script.

    You can also use the Group Policy to assign a logon/logoff,
    startup/shutdown script to all the accounts contained in an OU. Therefore,
    the batch file will sliently run after the user logon to the computer.

    For the concept of Logon, Logoff, Startup, and Shutdown script, please
    refer to the following article:

    Overview of Logon, Logoff, Startup, and Shutdown Scripts in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198642

    The detailed steps how to use logon script in group policy is addressed in
    the following article:

    How to assign scripts in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322241/EN-US/#2

    Any update, let us get in touch!

    Best regards,

    Rebecca Chen

    MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Something I wasn't clear about (for my own edification)... the login script
    in group policy runs just once, or does it run every time the user logs in?

    Ken

    "Oli Restorick [MVP]" <oli@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > If you use the user login script feature of Group Policy (rather than
    > placing it in each user's profile settings), it will run invisibly.
    >
    > Oli
    >

    > "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> I have a batch file that I want to run on all my users workstations every
    >> they logon. When the batch file runs it takes about 30 seconds to
    >> finish. I would like to run the batch file invisibly and have it so it
    >> does not slow down the computer. I tried toying around with the User
    >> Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon/Logoff polices but it
    >> didn't seem to work. I tried:
    >>
    >> Run logon scripts visible Disabled
    >> Run logon scripts synchronously Enable
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how I can speed this up this and hide the batch file so
    >> the user does not see it?
    >>
    >> Harrison Midkiff

    >Something I wasn’t clear about (for my own edification)... the
    >login script in group policy runs just once, or does it run every
    time
    >the user logs in?

    It is a logon script so it runs everytime a user logs in. A startup
    script runs when a computer starts up.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-run-batch-file-invisibly-ftopict255918.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=791622

    Rebecca:

    Thanks for replying to my post.

    I tried using a startup script to execute my batch file. When the file
    launched on my W2K Pro computers it hung the computer for about 10 minutes
    before they could get to there desktops. XP computers seemed fine. Even
    when I move the batch file to logon it still took 10 minutes to apply. I
    can run the batch file on the computer directly and it only takes about 10
    seconds to execute which is acceptable.

    Do you have any ideas of what might be going on or know of a way to have
    this batch file apply in back ground so not to effect the logon time?
    Thanks

    Harrison Midkiff

    "Rebecca Chen [MSFT]" <v-rebc@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Harrison ,
    >
    > As Oli has suggested, I believe logon script is the better choice.You can
    > assign a logon script to an individual user account when you type the path
    > to the logon script file in the Login script box of the Profile tab in the
    > UserName Properties dialog box in Computer Management. When a user logs on
    > and a path to the logon script for the user account appears, the server
    > locates and runs the script.
    >
    > You can also use the Group Policy to assign a logon/logoff,
    > startup/shutdown script to all the accounts contained in an OU. Therefore,
    > the batch file will sliently run after the user logon to the computer.
    >
    > For the concept of Logon, Logoff, Startup, and Shutdown script, please
    > refer to the following article:
    >
    > Overview of Logon, Logoff, Startup, and Shutdown Scripts in Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198642
    >
    > The detailed steps how to use logon script in group policy is addressed in
    > the following article:
    >
    > How to assign scripts in Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322241/EN-US/#2
    >
    > Any update, let us get in touch!
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Rebecca Chen
    >
    > MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA
    >

    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    > rights.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Harrison,

    Is there any possibility you could copy and paste the batch file to the
    thread? That way we may be able to get an idea of why it runs slowly when
    launched from a login script.

    > Rebecca:
    >
    > Thanks for replying to my post.
    >
    > I tried using a startup script to execute my batch file. When the file
    > launched on my W2K Pro computers it hung the computer for about 10 minutes
    > before they could get to there desktops. XP computers seemed fine. Even
    > when I move the batch file to logon it still took 10 minutes to apply. I
    > can run the batch file on the computer directly and it only takes about 10
    > seconds to execute which is acceptable.
    >
    > Do you have any ideas of what might be going on or know of a way to have
    > this batch file apply in back ground so not to effect the logon time?
    > Thanks
    >
    > Harrison Midkiff
    >

    > "Rebecca Chen [MSFT]" <v-rebc@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Harrison ,
    >>
    >> As Oli has suggested, I believe logon script is the better choice.You can
    >> assign a logon script to an individual user account when you type the
    >> path
    >> to the logon script file in the Login script box of the Profile tab in
    >> the
    >> UserName Properties dialog box in Computer Management. When a user logs
    >> on
    >> and a path to the logon script for the user account appears, the server
    >> locates and runs the script.
    >>
    >> You can also use the Group Policy to assign a logon/logoff,
    >> startup/shutdown script to all the accounts contained in an OU.
    >> Therefore,
    >> the batch file will sliently run after the user logon to the computer.
    >>
    >> For the concept of Logon, Logoff, Startup, and Shutdown script, please
    >> refer to the following article:
    >>
    >> Overview of Logon, Logoff, Startup, and Shutdown Scripts in Windows 2000
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198642
    >>
    >> The detailed steps how to use logon script in group policy is addressed
    >> in
    >> the following article:
    >>
    >> How to assign scripts in Windows 2000
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322241/EN-US/#2
    >>
    >> Any update, let us get in touch!
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >>
    >> Rebecca Chen
    >>
    >> MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA
    >>

    >> Microsoft Online Partner Support

    >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
    >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

    >> rights.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    More info....

    Looks like it was only old slow machines which were having the problem. I
    made a change to help it run a little faster. Seems to be running fine
    now....

    Thanks for your help.

    Harrison Midkiff

    > Harrison,
    >
    > Is there any possibility you could copy and paste the batch file to the
    > thread? That way we may be able to get an idea of why it runs slowly when
    > launched from a login script.
    >
    > Oli
    >

    > "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com> wrote in message
    >> Rebecca:
    >>
    >> Thanks for replying to my post.
    >>
    >> I tried using a startup script to execute my batch file. When the file
    >> launched on my W2K Pro computers it hung the computer for about 10
    >> minutes before they could get to there desktops. XP computers seemed
    >> fine. Even when I move the batch file to logon it still took 10 minutes
    >> to apply. I can run the batch file on the computer directly and it only
    >> takes about 10 seconds to execute which is acceptable.
    >>
    >> Do you have any ideas of what might be going on or know of a way to have
    >> this batch file apply in back ground so not to effect the logon time?
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Harrison Midkiff
    >>

    >> "Rebecca Chen [MSFT]" <v-rebc@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Harrison ,
    >>>
    >>> As Oli has suggested, I believe logon script is the better choice.You
    >>> can
    >>> assign a logon script to an individual user account when you type the
    >>> path
    >>> to the logon script file in the Login script box of the Profile tab in
    >>> the
    >>> UserName Properties dialog box in Computer Management. When a user logs
    >>> on
    >>> and a path to the logon script for the user account appears, the server
    >>> locates and runs the script.
    >>>
    >>> You can also use the Group Policy to assign a logon/logoff,
    >>> startup/shutdown script to all the accounts contained in an OU.
    >>> Therefore,
    >>> the batch file will sliently run after the user logon to the computer.
    >>>
    >>> For the concept of Logon, Logoff, Startup, and Shutdown script, please
    >>> refer to the following article:
    >>>
    >>> Overview of Logon, Logoff, Startup, and Shutdown Scripts in Windows 2000
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198642
    >>>
    >>> The detailed steps how to use logon script in group policy is addressed
    >>> in
    >>> the following article:
    >>>
    >>> How to assign scripts in Windows 2000
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322241/EN-US/#2
    >>>
    >>> Any update, let us get in touch!
    >>>
    >>> Best regards,
    >>>
    >>> Rebecca Chen
    >>>
    >>> MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA
    >>>

    >>> Microsoft Online Partner Support
    >>> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
    >>>
    >>> =====================================================
    >>>
    >>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
    >>> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    >>>
    >>> =====================================================
    >>> rights.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Hi Harrison ,

    You are weclome!

    Glad to hear you have found the cause, yes, it will take long time to run
    the script on a machine with low performance. :)

    Any update, let us get in touch!

    Best regards,

    Rebecca Chen

    MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA