Disallow user from placing files on the desktop

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
January 26, 2005 8:13:40 PM

How can I stop users from saving files or copying files to the desktop??

Am using W2k Adv server (TS) and clients use thin client for connection.
Also need to know how to do the above for W2003 server as well.

Thanks
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 8:13:41 PM

"nokink_jpspam" wrote:
> How can I stop users from saving files or copying files to the
> desktop??
>
> Am using W2k Adv server (TS) and clients use thin client for
> connection.
> Also need to know how to do the above for W2003 server as
> well.
>
> Thanks

Hi,

There are two ways.

1> Use mandatory profiles. They can save to the desktop but it deletes
on logoff as the profiles don’t change.

2> Redirect Desktop using Folder Redirection and make the location
read only with NTFS permissions. This would probably work better for
you.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Disallow-user...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=791624
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:00:19 AM

MJN,

Quick note:

Running TS on a Domain Controller is usually not the best way to go. I
understand that there are sometimes $$ limitations or that there are not
really enough users to warrant a second ( or third ) server and the software
( like if you have only 13 users or so... ). I usually recommend that you
install and run TS on a Member Server. Same for Exchange 2000 / Exchange
2003.

Since you asked about WIN2003 you can not install TS on a WIN2003 Domain
Controller ( well, not in Application Mode....it will run, naturally, in
Remote Admin Mode ).

Lara is really working this news group! I think that she wants to be an
MVP! If she is not careful then someone ( who already is one ) might
nominate her!

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"MJN" <NOkink_jpSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How can I stop users from saving files or copying files to the desktop??
>
> Am using W2k Adv server (TS) and clients use thin client for connection.
> Also need to know how to do the above for W2003 server as well.
>
> Thanks

February 1, 2005 10:40:52 PM

Hi,

>Lara is really working this news group! I think that she wants to be
>an MVP! If she is not careful then someone ( who already is one )
>might
>nominate her!

What is an MVP? I like the Group Policy newsgroup because it is
usually admins with Domain related questions that more than likely I
have run into before. When I installed AD/GP there weren’t any
resources available yet so I had to learn the ins and outs of it by
myself the hard way through trial and error. I have about 2400 users
who are all need to be locked down so I needed to make sure I knew
every group policy inside and out.

I used to Moderate/write for Cramsession for years but left with the
rest of the techs when the owners switched the focus from techs
helping techs to trying to sell their software/books etc. I never
graced the MS boards because I couldn’t find a decent web based
interface that didn’t drive me nuts.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Disallow-user...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=803299
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:35:36 PM

Outlook Express works great for me... I don't know how I got along without
it using the web reader for as long as I did

::p link plink::

Ken

"lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
>>Lara is really working this news group! I think that she wants to be
>>an MVP! If she is not careful then someone ( who already is one )
>>might
>>nominate her!
>
> What is an MVP? I like the Group Policy newsgroup because it is
> usually admins with Domain related questions that more than likely I
> have run into before. When I installed AD/GP there weren't any
> resources available yet so I had to learn the ins and outs of it by
> myself the hard way through trial and error. I have about 2400 users
> who are all need to be locked down so I needed to make sure I knew
> every group policy inside and out.
>
> I used to Moderate/write for Cramsession for years but left with the
> rest of the techs when the owners switched the focus from techs
> helping techs to trying to sell their software/books etc. I never
> graced the MS boards because I couldn't find a decent web based
> interface that didn't drive me nuts.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lara

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Disallow-user...
February 3, 2005 2:40:46 AM

Hi,

>Outlook Express works great for me... I don’t know how I got
>along without it using the web reader for as long as I did

The the problem with OE is that it requires an SMTP Server, you can’t
use a web based email address(so you open yourself up to spam/virus on
your home account) and it downloads all messages to take up HD space.
I only like to open and read the posts I am interested in.

That is why I was thrilled to find Windowsforumz.com a few months ago.
It is a very nice web based interface that allows me to read the MS
newsgroup messages I want and to access them from anywhere as I am
rarely on my home computer.

Cheers,

Lara
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 2:33:33 PM

Hrm... I just bypassed the mail portion of OE... but then again, I'm not the
posting and knowledge maven you've proven yourself to be ;-)

!