Disallow user from placing files on the desktop

How can I stop users from saving files or copying files to the desktop??

Am using W2k Adv server (TS) and clients use thin client for connection.
Also need to know how to do the above for W2003 server as well.

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about disallow user placing files desktop

    "nokink_jpspam" wrote:
    > How can I stop users from saving files or copying files to the
    > desktop??
    >
    > Am using W2k Adv server (TS) and clients use thin client for
    > connection.
    > Also need to know how to do the above for W2003 server as
    > well.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi,

    There are two ways.

    1> Use mandatory profiles. They can save to the desktop but it deletes
    on logoff as the profiles don’t change.

    2> Redirect Desktop using Folder Redirection and make the location
    read only with NTFS permissions. This would probably work better for
    you.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Disallow-user-placing-files-desktop-ftopict256137.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=791624

    MJN,

    Quick note:

    Running TS on a Domain Controller is usually not the best way to go. I
    understand that there are sometimes $$ limitations or that there are not
    really enough users to warrant a second ( or third ) server and the software
    ( like if you have only 13 users or so... ). I usually recommend that you
    install and run TS on a Member Server. Same for Exchange 2000 / Exchange
    2003.

    Since you asked about WIN2003 you can not install TS on a WIN2003 Domain
    Controller ( well, not in Application Mode....it will run, naturally, in
    Remote Admin Mode ).

    Lara is really working this news group! I think that she wants to be an
    MVP! If she is not careful then someone ( who already is one ) might
    nominate her!

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24014

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "MJN" <NOkink_jpSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > How can I stop users from saving files or copying files to the desktop??
    >
    > Am using W2k Adv server (TS) and clients use thin client for connection.
    > Also need to know how to do the above for W2003 server as well.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi,

    >Lara is really working this news group! I think that she wants to be
    >an MVP! If she is not careful then someone ( who already is one )
    >might
    >nominate her!

    What is an MVP? I like the Group Policy newsgroup because it is
    usually admins with Domain related questions that more than likely I
    have run into before. When I installed AD/GP there weren’t any
    resources available yet so I had to learn the ins and outs of it by
    myself the hard way through trial and error. I have about 2400 users
    who are all need to be locked down so I needed to make sure I knew
    every group policy inside and out.

    I used to Moderate/write for Cramsession for years but left with the
    rest of the techs when the owners switched the focus from techs
    helping techs to trying to sell their software/books etc. I never
    graced the MS boards because I couldn’t find a decent web based
    interface that didn’t drive me nuts.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Disallow-user-placing-files-desktop-ftopict256137.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=803299

    Outlook Express works great for me... I don't know how I got along without
    it using the web reader for as long as I did

    ::plink plink::

    Ken

    "lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    >>Lara is really working this news group! I think that she wants to be
    >>an MVP! If she is not careful then someone ( who already is one )
    >>might
    >>nominate her!
    >
    > What is an MVP? I like the Group Policy newsgroup because it is
    > usually admins with Domain related questions that more than likely I
    > have run into before. When I installed AD/GP there weren't any
    > resources available yet so I had to learn the ins and outs of it by
    > myself the hard way through trial and error. I have about 2400 users
    > who are all need to be locked down so I needed to make sure I knew
    > every group policy inside and out.
    >
    > I used to Moderate/write for Cramsession for years but left with the
    > rest of the techs when the owners switched the focus from techs
    > helping techs to trying to sell their software/books etc. I never
    > graced the MS boards because I couldn't find a decent web based
    > interface that didn't drive me nuts.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Lara

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Disallow-user-placing-files-desktop-ftopict256137.html

    Hi,

    >Outlook Express works great for me... I don’t know how I got
    >along without it using the web reader for as long as I did

    The the problem with OE is that it requires an SMTP Server, you can’t
    use a web based email address(so you open yourself up to spam/virus on
    your home account) and it downloads all messages to take up HD space.
    I only like to open and read the posts I am interested in.

    That is why I was thrilled to find Windowsforumz.com a few months ago.
    It is a very nice web based interface that allows me to read the MS
    newsgroup messages I want and to access them from anywhere as I am
    rarely on my home computer.

    Cheers,

    Lara
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Hrm... I just bypassed the mail portion of OE... but then again, I'm not the
    posting and knowledge maven you've proven yourself to be ;-)

    > Hi,
    >
    >>Outlook Express works great for me... I don't know how I got
    >>along without it using the web reader for as long as I did
    >
    > The the problem with OE is that it requires an SMTP Server, you can't
    > use a web based email address(so you open yourself up to spam/virus on
    > your home account) and it downloads all messages to take up HD space.
    > I only like to open and read the posts I am interested in.
    >
    > That is why I was thrilled to find Windowsforumz.com a few months ago.
    > It is a very nice web based interface that allows me to read the MS
    > newsgroup messages I want and to access them from anywhere as I am
    > rarely on my home computer.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Lara

Desktops Servers Windows