Proxy Settings

I have a domain running windows 2000 servers and a combination of 2000 and XP
clients. I have tried to set the proxy settings through the group policy but
this does not seem to be picking up for some machines. The machines appear
to be picking up the policy but the proxy settings are not being set. Ive
tried setting the policy to no override and ive tried setting the internet
settings to preference mode, neither of these worked. Any advice would be
welcome as my users are getting very stressed at me as they have to manually
put the proxy details in everytime they restart the computer
--
Garry Drinkall
Broadband Implementation Officer

"garrydrinkall" wrote:
> I have a domain running windows 2000 servers and a combination
> of 2000 and XP
> clients. I have tried to set the proxy settings through the
> group policy but
> this does not seem to be picking up for some machines. The
> machines appear
> to be picking up the policy but the proxy settings are not
> being set. Ive
> tried setting the policy to no override and ive tried setting
> the internet
> settings to preference mode, neither of these worked. Any
> advice would be
> welcome as my users are getting very stressed at me as they
> have to manually
> put the proxy details in everytime they restart the computer
> --
> Garry Drinkall
> Broadband Implementation Officer
> North Lincolnshire Council

Hi,

It sounds like the DNS may be messed up. This is usually the cause
with Group Policies not applying. Check my site to make sure your DNS
is setup correctly http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/dns.htm

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Proxy-Settings-ftopict256239.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=791623

Hi Garry

Is there a common theme going with the clients that aren't working? Are
they all XP with a certain service pack for example?

Are you using Application Data folder redirection?

Are you aware that Internet Explorer Maintenance policy doesn't apply at
every logon by default? It only applies when the policy changes or is
created. You can change this by referring to:

306915 Internet Explorer Maintenance Group Policies Do Not Apply During
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306915

Kind regards
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team

"Garry Drinkall" <GarryDrinkall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a domain running windows 2000 servers and a combination of 2000 and
>XP
> clients. I have tried to set the proxy settings through the group policy
> but
> this does not seem to be picking up for some machines. The machines
> appear
> to be picking up the policy but the proxy settings are not being set. Ive
> tried setting the policy to no override and ive tried setting the internet
> settings to preference mode, neither of these worked. Any advice would be
> welcome as my users are getting very stressed at me as they have to
> manually
> put the proxy details in everytime they restart the computer
> --
> Garry Drinkall
> Broadband Implementation Officer
> North Lincolnshire Council

Hi,

>306915 Internet Explorer Maintenance Group Policies Do Not Apply
>During http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306915

Very nice link. Thanks. I didn’t know this. I have mandatory profiles
so it isn’t an issue. However, I have set the group policy now on my
DC so it won’t cause problems again.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Proxy-Settings-ftopict256239.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=794077

Unfortunatly there is no common theme, it is happening on win2K and XP clients.
Im not using and app data redirection either.
The support site looks you directed me to does look useful though, hopefully
this will solve it

"Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Garry
>
> Is there a common theme going with the clients that aren't working? Are
> they all XP with a certain service pack for example?
>
> Are you using Application Data folder redirection?
>
> Are you aware that Internet Explorer Maintenance policy doesn't apply at
> every logon by default? It only applies when the policy changes or is
> created. You can change this by referring to:
>
> 306915 Internet Explorer Maintenance Group Policies Do Not Apply During
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306915
>
> Kind regards
> --
> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> Windows Platform Support Team
> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>
> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> "Garry Drinkall" <GarryDrinkall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a domain running windows 2000 servers and a combination of 2000 and
> >XP
> > clients. I have tried to set the proxy settings through the group policy
> > but
> > this does not seem to be picking up for some machines. The machines
> > appear
> > to be picking up the policy but the proxy settings are not being set. Ive
> > tried setting the policy to no override and ive tried setting the internet
> > settings to preference mode, neither of these worked. Any advice would be
> > welcome as my users are getting very stressed at me as they have to
> > manually
> > put the proxy details in everytime they restart the computer
> > --
> > Garry Drinkall
> > Broadband Implementation Officer
> > North Lincolnshire Council

Having tried the solution suggested im still having a problem. the machines
seem to loose the settings without being rebooted or even logged off.

"Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Garry
>
> Is there a common theme going with the clients that aren't working? Are
> they all XP with a certain service pack for example?
>
> Are you using Application Data folder redirection?
>
> Are you aware that Internet Explorer Maintenance policy doesn't apply at
> every logon by default? It only applies when the policy changes or is
> created. You can change this by referring to:
>
> 306915 Internet Explorer Maintenance Group Policies Do Not Apply During
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306915
>
> Kind regards
> --
> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> Windows Platform Support Team
> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>
> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> "Garry Drinkall" <GarryDrinkall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a domain running windows 2000 servers and a combination of 2000 and
> >XP
> > clients. I have tried to set the proxy settings through the group policy
> > but
> > this does not seem to be picking up for some machines. The machines
> > appear
> > to be picking up the policy but the proxy settings are not being set. Ive
> > tried setting the policy to no override and ive tried setting the internet
> > settings to preference mode, neither of these worked. Any advice would be
> > welcome as my users are getting very stressed at me as they have to
> > manually
> > put the proxy details in everytime they restart the computer
> > --
> > Garry Drinkall
> > Broadband Implementation Officer
> > North Lincolnshire Council

Hi Garry

You may be able to track down the reason for the policy not applying if you
refer to a User Environment Debug log:

221833 How to enable user environment debug logging in retail builds of
Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=221833

You can also refer to the brndlog.txt file in:

<user profile>\\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

HTH