Nokia 6340i does not work in California?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
December 13, 2004 4:15:04 AM

Hi everyone,

I live in Houston, Texas and I have Cingular Wireless service
(Preferred Nation Wide plan) using a Nokia 6340i phone. So far I
traveled to Kauai, Hawaii, Destin Florida, Orlando Florida, and all
over Texas and my phone works fine. Last week I traveled to San Jose,
Palo Alto and San Francisco in California and my phone don't get any
service. On the display it did not show any sign of signal not even
one mark of the signal strength. I went into one of the local
Cingular office in Palo Alto, CA and one of the sales person don't
know why my phone doesn't work. I got back to my hotel and called
Cingular Technical support and spent about an hour with them on the
phone try to diagnose the problem. We tried almost everything, taking
the battery off, taking the sim card off. The asked for the ESN
number, IMEI number, sim card number. They even say they going to
send some kind of code to phone in order to make my phone work.

In the end they told me that this is a GAIT phone and it would not
work in California. They say something about my phone will have
problem in these 3 states because of the frequency difference:
California, South Carolina and North Carolina.

I would thought a GAIT phone suppose to handle both GSM and TDMA and
the whole point is that this phone to be compatible in other states.

Does anyone have the same problem with their Nokia 6340i phone in
California?

Now I'm back in Houston and thinking of exchanging my phone to one
that work in all the states in the US because my job required me to
travel in several states in the US. Would you please recommend me a
phone and what technology (GSM, frequency etc..), that works any place
in the US and have quality sound transmitting and receiving.

Thank you in advance.

Jack
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 4:15:05 AM

Jack,

It may not have been working properly due to one or both of these two
reasons:

TDMA may have no existed where you were in California.
And/Or:
The GSM frequencies that your phone supports may not be used by
Cingular in that area.

If I were you I would simply go to a cingular store and purchase a
phone that is a "world" phone. You really cannot go wrong if you did
this.

IF your phone works fine everywhere else but not California, then I
Cannot imagine what other problem exists other than the idea that the
part of California you went to does not use any frequencies your phone
supports.

Best regards;

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 01:15:04 GMT, Jack <jack_z28NOSPAM@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I live in Houston, Texas and I have Cingular Wireless service
>(Preferred Nation Wide plan) using a Nokia 6340i phone. So far I
>traveled to Kauai, Hawaii, Destin Florida, Orlando Florida, and all
>over Texas and my phone works fine. Last week I traveled to San Jose,
>Palo Alto and San Francisco in California and my phone don't get any
>service. On the display it did not show any sign of signal not even
>one mark of the signal strength. I went into one of the local
>Cingular office in Palo Alto, CA and one of the sales person don't
>know why my phone doesn't work. I got back to my hotel and called
>Cingular Technical support and spent about an hour with them on the
>phone try to diagnose the problem. We tried almost everything, taking
>the battery off, taking the sim card off. The asked for the ESN
>number, IMEI number, sim card number. They even say they going to
>send some kind of code to phone in order to make my phone work.
>
>In the end they told me that this is a GAIT phone and it would not
>work in California. They say something about my phone will have
>problem in these 3 states because of the frequency difference:
>California, South Carolina and North Carolina.
>
>I would thought a GAIT phone suppose to handle both GSM and TDMA and
>the whole point is that this phone to be compatible in other states.
>
>Does anyone have the same problem with their Nokia 6340i phone in
>California?
>
>Now I'm back in Houston and thinking of exchanging my phone to one
>that work in all the states in the US because my job required me to
>travel in several states in the US. Would you please recommend me a
>phone and what technology (GSM, frequency etc..), that works any place
>in the US and have quality sound transmitting and receiving.
>
>Thank you in advance.
>
>Jack
December 13, 2004 4:15:05 AM

My ex wife has that phone and it worked fine in the Bay area
"Jack" <jack_z28NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hi everyone,
>
> I live in Houston, Texas and I have Cingular Wireless service
> (Preferred Nation Wide plan) using a Nokia 6340i phone. So far I
> traveled to Kauai, Hawaii, Destin Florida, Orlando Florida, and all
> over Texas and my phone works fine. Last week I traveled to San Jose,
> Palo Alto and San Francisco in California and my phone don't get any
> service. On the display it did not show any sign of signal not even
> one mark of the signal strength. I went into one of the local
> Cingular office in Palo Alto, CA and one of the sales person don't
> know why my phone doesn't work. I got back to my hotel and called
> Cingular Technical support and spent about an hour with them on the
> phone try to diagnose the problem. We tried almost everything, taking
> the battery off, taking the sim card off. The asked for the ESN
> number, IMEI number, sim card number. They even say they going to
> send some kind of code to phone in order to make my phone work.
>
> In the end they told me that this is a GAIT phone and it would not
> work in California. They say something about my phone will have
> problem in these 3 states because of the frequency difference:
> California, South Carolina and North Carolina.
>
> I would thought a GAIT phone suppose to handle both GSM and TDMA and
> the whole point is that this phone to be compatible in other states.
>
> Does anyone have the same problem with their Nokia 6340i phone in
> California?
>
> Now I'm back in Houston and thinking of exchanging my phone to one
> that work in all the states in the US because my job required me to
> travel in several states in the US. Would you please recommend me a
> phone and what technology (GSM, frequency etc..), that works any place
> in the US and have quality sound transmitting and receiving.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Jack

December 13, 2004 4:15:06 AM

> >In the end they told me that this is a GAIT phone and it would not
> >work in California. They say something about my phone will have
> >problem in these 3 states because of the frequency difference:
> >California, South Carolina and North Carolina.

My 6340i works fine in North Carolina and South Carolina. It covers GSM
850/1900 Mhz, TDMA 800/1900 Mhz, AMPS 800 Mhz don't think Cingular operates
anywhere else. I think your GSM 1900 is not working or you would have roamed
on T-mobile at least. Have your phone replaced and or new software loaded.
December 13, 2004 4:15:06 AM

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:57:16 -0800, M. D. Borca
<marius@deuteronomy.us> wrote:

>TDMA may have no existed where you were in California.
>And/Or:
>The GSM frequencies that your phone supports may not be used by
>Cingular in that area.

cingular before the acquisition of AT&T Wireless does not have any
TDMA in California.

The phone should work since the 6340i uses both GSM 850 and GSM 1900
which is what is used in California. Something else is wrong.
December 13, 2004 7:57:44 PM

In article <q7rpr0hncnju02gukiedc01cjbgc65q6ca@4ax.com>,
jack_z28NOSPAM@yahoo.com says...

> Hi everyone,
>
> I live in Houston, Texas and I have Cingular Wireless service
> (Preferred Nation Wide plan) using a Nokia 6340i phone. So far I
>
> Now I'm back in Houston and thinking of exchanging my phone to one
> that work in all the states in the US because my job required me to
> travel in several states in the US. Would you please recommend me a
> phone and what technology (GSM, frequency etc..), that works any place
> in the US and have quality sound transmitting and receiving.

You HAVE one of only 2 phones that "works any place in the US". If you
stay in a Cingular/ATTWS area then GSM is all you'd need but many non-
metro areas haven't converted yet and are still TDMA and a few AMPS. To
use any of those you need the GAIT phone you have.

I seem to remember that old "Preferred" plan was a GSM plan but since
Houston was TDMA that doesn't make sense--so it must have been offered
for TDMA also. Is yours TDMA or GSM? It definitely preceded the 6340i
so HOW did you get the phone and how did you get it on your plan? It
sounds like it's only "half" working on your current plan.

For GSM, TDMA and AMPS to all work two things have to come together:
the sim card in the phone has to be the GAIT version (I.e. you can't
just move a GSM-only sim to the phone) and the plan it's on has to be
provisioned for all of them. The true GAIT plans are no longer offered.
Some folks here have managed to add a "GAIT feature" to a current GSM-
only plan but I would be surprised if Cingular would add it to an old
TDMA plan. You may have to change plans before you get it too work
correctly.

From what you describe it sounds like there is clearly something "out of
sync". If the phone is working as a TDMA only phone it should have
roamed on ATT in that area although with roaming charges on that plan.
Instead it must have recognized Cingular GSM was available so locked out
TDMA but somehow couldn't use the GSM either. Strange. Are you SURE
this is a 6340i and not a 6340? The original 6340 did not HAVE the 850
Mhz GSM band and that area might be using 850 instead of 1900. Or like
someone else said it could just be a bad phone.

By the way, you can tell if it's on GSM by going into Messages and
scrolling to "Service command editor". If that option is there and not
grayed out then the phone is on GSM--if it's grayed out then it's on
TDMA (or AMPS).
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

You may just have (a) a TDMA account or (b) the phone set for TDMA mode.
In the case of (a), you need either GAIT or GSM to work in California.
In the case of (b), you just need to put the phone in GAIT/GSM mode.

In <q7rpr0hncnju02gukiedc01cjbgc65q6ca@4ax.com> on Mon, 13 Dec 2004 01:15:04
GMT, Jack <jack_z28NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I live in Houston, Texas and I have Cingular Wireless service
>(Preferred Nation Wide plan) using a Nokia 6340i phone. So far I
>traveled to Kauai, Hawaii, Destin Florida, Orlando Florida, and all
>over Texas and my phone works fine. Last week I traveled to San Jose,
>Palo Alto and San Francisco in California and my phone don't get any
>service. On the display it did not show any sign of signal not even
>one mark of the signal strength. I went into one of the local
>Cingular office in Palo Alto, CA and one of the sales person don't
>know why my phone doesn't work. I got back to my hotel and called
>Cingular Technical support and spent about an hour with them on the
>phone try to diagnose the problem. We tried almost everything, taking
>the battery off, taking the sim card off. The asked for the ESN
>number, IMEI number, sim card number. They even say they going to
>send some kind of code to phone in order to make my phone work.
>
>In the end they told me that this is a GAIT phone and it would not
>work in California. They say something about my phone will have
>problem in these 3 states because of the frequency difference:
>California, South Carolina and North Carolina.
>
>I would thought a GAIT phone suppose to handle both GSM and TDMA and
>the whole point is that this phone to be compatible in other states.
>
>Does anyone have the same problem with their Nokia 6340i phone in
>California?
>
>Now I'm back in Houston and thinking of exchanging my phone to one
>that work in all the states in the US because my job required me to
>travel in several states in the US. Would you please recommend me a
>phone and what technology (GSM, frequency etc..), that works any place
>in the US and have quality sound transmitting and receiving.
>
>Thank you in advance.
>
>Jack

December 13, 2004 8:06:17 PM

>Some folks here have managed to add a "GAIT feature" to a current GSM-
>only plan but I would be surprised if Cingular would add it to an old
>TDMA plan. You may have to change plans before you get it too work
>correctly.

I was on a GAIT plan and last month upgraded to a GSM plan with the "GAIT
feature" more min less money.
On the web site it is listed as :
/DUAL BAND
GSM - TDMA INTEROPERABILITY
/NATION GAIT/GSM

And so I'am not billed roaming:

OFF-NETWORK ROAM
ROAMER ADMIN FEE EXCLUSION

OP could check his plan features on the web at www.cingular.com
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 3:05:48 AM

Jud Hardcastle wrote:
> Some folks here have managed to add a "GAIT feature" to a
> current GSM- only plan but I would be surprised if Cingular would add
> it to an old TDMA plan. You may have to change plans before you get
> it too work correctly.

I just had a 6340i that I got off E-bay activated on my old Nation 250 TDMA
plan. It shows on my plan details as "GSM Interoperability" or something
similar. I just checked using the method you describe below (thanks), and
it's sitting on GSM right now. It does also move to TDMA in more rural
areas. Don't know for sure about AMPS, but I assume it's there also. I'm in
North Georgia.
I think the idea now at Cingular is to get as much traffic off TDMA and onto
GSM, even if it means removing some restrictions previously in place. Works
for me.

> By the way, you can tell if it's on GSM by going into Messages and
> scrolling to "Service command editor". If that option is there and
> not grayed out then the phone is on GSM--if it's grayed out then it's
> on TDMA (or AMPS).

Again, thanks. That's easier than placing a call and looking for the "Hold"
key.

--

Bill

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Mark Twain.
December 14, 2004 4:09:00 AM

Thank you everyone for all your inputs and comments.

I'm very sure my phone is 6340i because I open the back of the phone
took out the battery and on the back of the phone it labeled 6340i.
Plus I got this phone brand new from Cingular Wireless and still have
the original box and user manual which is labeled 6340i.

Originally my home service plan in Houston, TX from Cingular as
follows:
GAIT Calling Area
GSM/TDMA Services
GSM/TDMA Call Fwd

This set up doesn't seem to work in the Bay Area California.

Technical Support today says that if I have a straight GSM service
then it would work in CA. Therefore they changed my home service plan
to:

GAIT Calling Area
GAIT for GSM

I'm currently in Houston and don't know if this set up will work or
not in CA. I just have to wait next time I go to CA to find out.

Thanks

Jack

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:53:22 -0600, "Stanley Reynolds"
<nospam_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>Some folks here have managed to add a "GAIT feature" to a current GSM-
>>only plan but I would be surprised if Cingular would add it to an old
>>TDMA plan. You may have to change plans before you get it too work
>>correctly.
>
>I was on a GAIT plan and last month upgraded to a GSM plan with the "GAIT
>feature" more min less money.
>On the web site it is listed as :
>/DUAL BAND
>GSM - TDMA INTEROPERABILITY
>/NATION GAIT/GSM
>
>And so I'am not billed roaming:
>
>OFF-NETWORK ROAM
>ROAMER ADMIN FEE EXCLUSION
>
>OP could check his plan features on the web at www.cingular.com

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 6:55:45 PM

In article <w7qvd.8641$nE7.136@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
billunderwood@prodigy.net says...
> > Some folks here have managed to add a "GAIT feature" to a
> > current GSM- only plan but I would be surprised if Cingular would add
> > it to an old TDMA plan. You may have to change plans before you get
> > it too work correctly.
>
> I just had a 6340i that I got off E-bay activated on my old Nation 250 TDMA
> plan. It shows on my plan details as "GSM Interoperability" or something
> similar. I just checked using the method you describe below (thanks), and
> it's sitting on GSM right now. It does also move to TDMA in more rural
> areas. Don't know for sure about AMPS, but I assume it's there also. I'm in
> North Georgia.

So the "GAIT feature" a.k.a. "GSM Interoperability" a.k.a. "TDMA
Interoperability" can be added either way--and to the old plans. That's
super. That's definately the first thing the OP should check.

> I think the idea now at Cingular is to get as much traffic off TDMA and onto
> GSM, even if it means removing some restrictions previously in place. Works
> for me.

The OP had the "preferred nation" plan instead of your "nation" plan. I
would assume adding the GAIT feature to that plan would mean no roaming
charges on either Cingular GSM or Cingular TDMA (and ATTWS?) but would
leave charges when roaming on someone else. Can't see them converting
it to pure Nation without charging more per month.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

Jack wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I live in Houston, Texas and I have Cingular Wireless service
> (Preferred Nation Wide plan) using a Nokia 6340i phone. So far I
> traveled to Kauai, Hawaii, Destin Florida, Orlando Florida, and all
> over Texas and my phone works fine. Last week I traveled to San
Jose,
> Palo Alto and San Francisco in California and my phone don't get any
> service. On the display it did not show any sign of signal not even
> one mark of the signal strength. I went into one of the local
> Cingular office in Palo Alto, CA and one of the sales person don't
> know why my phone doesn't work. I got back to my hotel and called
> Cingular Technical support and spent about an hour with them on the
> phone try to diagnose the problem. We tried almost everything,
taking
> the battery off, taking the sim card off. The asked for the ESN
> number, IMEI number, sim card number. They even say they going to
> send some kind of code to phone in order to make my phone work.
>
> In the end they told me that this is a GAIT phone and it would not
> work in California. They say something about my phone will have
> problem in these 3 states because of the frequency difference:
> California, South Carolina and North Carolina.
>
> I would thought a GAIT phone suppose to handle both GSM and TDMA and
> the whole point is that this phone to be compatible in other states.
>
> Does anyone have the same problem with their Nokia 6340i phone in
> California?
>
> Now I'm back in Houston and thinking of exchanging my phone to one
> that work in all the states in the US because my job required me to
> travel in several states in the US. Would you please recommend me a
> phone and what technology (GSM, frequency etc..), that works any
place
> in the US and have quality sound transmitting and receiving.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Jack
6340i does 3:GSM, TDMA, and AMPS. AMPS, doesn't it work everwhere in
the US? I assume you are provisioned for GAIT, nationwide.
!