Newbie Overclocker, stopped dead in his tracks.

snyderm

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
My AMD Socket 939 system is aging now, and I wanted to try and squeeze as much performance out of it. Sounded fun, so I gave it a try.

My system
AMD 3700+
ASUS A85NX Motherboard
1 Gig Corsair XMS Memory, DDR400
EVGA 7950GT VideoCard

For starters, I ran a benchmark on my favorite game with my system at its default for reference. I ran the first 2 stages of the X3 Benchmark demo. My average FPS scores 32.2.

I restart my computer, boot into the bios, and make my overclocking profile manually set from 200, to 219. I check my CPU page in the bios, and it changed from 2.2ghz to 2.4ghz. I save my bios settings and boot the computer and run my X3 benchmark again. I get exactly the same results, 32.2 average FPS.

I reboot the computer and this time open up my RIVA Tuner program and overclock my 7950GT from 550 Core to 590 Core and my memory from 725 to 800. Apply the change, and tell Riva to apply this setting every time my computer is restarted. I restart the computer and verify that my video is indeed overclocked, and it is. I run my X3 Benchmark, and again get the exact same results, 32.2 average FPS. So with my cpu overclocked 200mhz and my video card core and memory overclocked, there is no measurable difference.

See where this is headed? Nothing that I overclock makes even the slightest difference. Does anyone have any comments about what is going on here? I was under the impression that something was going to improve.

snyderm

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
CPU-Z is not reporting any change in core frequency as a result of overclocking from the bios. it says 2.2Ghz regardless.

Ok, that explains the CPU overclocking having no effect. Now to discover why overclocking the video card did nothing.