Monitor only turns on using Analog cable.

IBN

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I have just bought a new card for my pc. Its an XFX 7900GS 256MB (PCI EXPRESS)

It has two DVI outputs. My monitor has both analog and DVI connections

When I connect my new card via the DVI cable, my monitor doesn't turn on.

However when I use the monitor analog cable and use the dvi to analog converter my monitor works fine.

Previously I had an NVIDIA 6200TC card and it was connected to my monitor via a dvi cable with no problems

I decided to plug the monitor via dvi only and see if I could mess about with ot to get it working. What i found is that when my computer boots into windows the Monitor turns on and works fine!!!

So I cant see the BIOS screen, it only works when my computer starts into windows the amber light turns green and the monitor begins to show images.

To get to this stage I had to use the analog cable and a dvi to analog converter and install the Nvidia drivers first.

Is the problem the Monitor or the Card?

XFXSupport

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
What is the make and model of the monitor as well as its native resolution? What driver version are you using? Have you started a support ticket at www.xfxforce.com and if so please PM me the ticket number.

XFX Support

XFXSupport

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
I have arranged to have my support staff contact you so we can bring your video card here for testing. Please let me know if you have any questions.

XFX Support

IBN

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Hi there,

The problem all along was the card. It turns out that the card was faulty. I managed to get another XFX 7900GS and the card works fine. The peeps at XFX were great with the support in my case.

Thanks for the input.