Sign in with
Your question

I feel like a jackass

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2007 10:10:03 PM

Because when I got back from Iraq I was so excited to buy a new PC, but I think what I did was dumb. I think this because I've been reading a little bit on here for the past couple of days and I think I really could have saved myself a lot of time, money and head-ache. When I was redeploying to the US from Iraq, we were layed-over in Kuwait, and when I was there I went to Cyber Power Computer Systems and ordered a new PC. Here's what I got :

CAS: CoolerMaster Praetorian 730 RC-730 Aluminum Tower 420W Case [-10] (Black Color)
CASUPGRADE: NONE
CPU: (Socket AM2) AMD Athlon(TM)64 X2 5200+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+224]
CD: PIONEER DVR-111 DUAL FORMAT 16X DVD+/-R/+/-RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER [+6] (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: PIONEER DVR-111 DUAL FORMAT 16X DVD+/-R/+/-RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER [+30] (BLACK COLOR)
CABLE: None
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
FREEBIE_CU1: FREE! AGE OF EMPIRE III
FREEBIE_CU2: FREE! RISE OF NATIONS: RISE OF LEGENDS
FREEBIE_CU3: FREE! 1GB USB 2.0 Portable Flash Drive
FAN: CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit + 2 EXTRA CASE FANS
FLOPPY: NONE
HDD: Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
HDD2: NONE
IEEE_CARD: NONE
KEYBOARD: Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard [+66]
MOUSE: Logitech MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse [+22]
MONITOR: Gaming LCD ViewSonic VX922 19" (2ms White-Black-White Typ) SXGA LCD Display Monitor [+299]
MONITOR2: NONE
MOTHERBOARD: (Socket AM2)ABIT KN9 SLI nForce 570 SLI MCP Chipset DDR2/800 SATA-II RAID 16x PCI-Express MBoard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
MODEM: Creative Labs PCI 56K v.92 FAX Modem [+16]
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
OS: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Media Center 2005 Edition
PPU: NONE
PRO_WIRING: None
PRINTER: None
PRINTER_CABLE: None
POWERSUPPLY: Apevia 600W DARK SIDE POWER ATX Power Supply [+30] (BLACK Color ATX-AS600W-BK)
RUSH: RUSH!!! READY TO SHIP IN 3 BUSINESS DAYS [+69]
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS 24/7 LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: Creative Labs SB Audigy SE [+30]
SPEAKERS: (BLACK/SILVER) Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Configuration Speakers System with Control [+178]
TEMP: SILVERSTONE EUDEMON SST-FP52 LCD DISPLAY FRONT PANEL [+49] (BLACK COLOR)
TVRC: None
USB: Add External USB 2.0 Hub (4x USB 2.0 Ports) [+19] (BLACK COLOR)
UPS: None
USBHD: NONE
VIDEO: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 1GB 16X PCI Express Video Card [+302]
VIDEO2: NONE [-250]
VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card

Anyway, I spent about $2750.00 on this machine. I've come into a couple of problems, and cyber power has been trying to fix things for me recently, but I have to say that I feel their customer service is lacking for the price I payed. When my computer was sent to me I was so excited, and I plugged everything in and fired it up. However my monitor said "No Signal". I wanted to make sure it was'nt the monitor, so I took it to one of my buddies houses and my monitor worked on his machine just fine. I'm fairly confident that I could have just read everything on here and learned how to/where to order parts for cheaper online and put everything together myself. However I did'nt and now that I read this website, I really feel like a jackass.

Anyway, so I sent the whole tower back to cyber power and they replaced the video card. After they sent it back to me about 5 weeks later, I plugged everything in and fired it up. Everything ran fine. My monitor worked just fine. So I started instaling things like aim, winamp, opera, irc etc. I installed counter strike and I gave it a quick run through. I installed tribes 2 and gave that a quick run through as well. I did notice something kind of odd about how my computer would react when I would I would go to my desktop from in game [windows key + d]. The monitor would just go black, but it would still be powered on. I could see the windows mouse cursor, but I could'nt ctrl+alt+del because that would'nt work, so I just hard rebooted it a couple of times.

Anyway, three days after having the system, it did the whole freeze up from in game thing like I just described, so I gave it a hard reboot, then I just turned it off because I was in a hurry to go to lunch, plus I had'nt turned everything all of the way off yet.

When I came back from lunch my computer would'nt turn back on. The monitor was saying "No Signal" like the first time when they had to replace my video card. I was really disappointed, so I waited about 45 minutes thinking that the problem might just go away for whatever reason, then I fired it up again only to experience the same problem.

I called cyber power, and I asked them what I was doing wrong. They told me to open the case and turn it on with only one dimm of ram in. My bios speaker or whatever its called gave a Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep Beep Beep. We tried with just the other dimm in and it gave the same sound, one long beep and two short beeps. We tried other dimm slots, and we got the same thing.

So we tested the video card in the other PCI-E slot. The bios speaker gave the single long beep followed by two short beeps. The guy who I talked to at cyber power said that this indecated a video error, so he told me that he was going to send me the same video card, but this time it was going to be the EVGA GeForce 9750 GX2 instead of the MSI varient.

I think if the video card itself fried, I would have smelled that burning hardware smell, right? I've smelled that before [when I was 15 trying to put my computer together in a pitch black closit on mushrooms]. If the video card fries, does it smell like that every time? Why would the video card just go bad after three days of normal use? Could it be something else in my machine that is frying my video cards? Is it possible that the RAID controller fell off? [is that a stupid question? I think I read something about this happening sometimes].

Im lost, and Im nervious that when they send me my video card it will work again for a week and then just stop. Does anyone here have any advice for me? I would really appreciate any advice or ideas. Thank you.

More about : feel jackass

January 25, 2007 10:36:03 PM

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep Beep Beep is "Video Adapter Failure"

What's causing your system to eat video cards, I don't know.
Related resources
January 25, 2007 10:37:59 PM

Could be your motherboard..I'm thinking it is..or the video card keeps coming loose..make sure it nice and tight..
January 25, 2007 10:44:42 PM

Do not feel like jackass! Got bad hardware...not your fault. A fairly large number of people here got started on the build your own path after similiar experiences sometime in the past. Mine was P100 from the cow people... If you have a little patience, the "sticky" guides and forum denizens will be happy to walk you through the process for everything from limited budget build to the edge of hardware insanity. Most of your components look adequate and can be cycled into a rebuild at minimum cost if you cannot get satisfaction from cyberpower.
January 25, 2007 10:59:28 PM

"I think if the video card itself fried, I would have smelled that burning hardware smell, right? I've smelled that before [when I was 15 trying to put my computer together in a pitch black closit on mushrooms]."

ROFL
January 25, 2007 11:16:50 PM

Quote:
is it still under warrenty?

ROFL

Just seemed like a funny reply after that long post.. lol
January 26, 2007 2:43:32 AM

Quote:
Do not feel like jackass! Got bad hardware...not your fault. A fairly large number of people here got started on the build your own path after similiar experiences sometime in the past. Mine was P100 from the cow people... If you have a little patience, the "sticky" guides and forum denizens will be happy to walk you through the process for everything from limited budget build to the edge of hardware insanity. Most of your components look adequate and can be cycled into a rebuild at minimum cost if you cannot get satisfaction from cyberpower.

Thank you, this is very encouraging.

And yes, everything is still under warrenty for three years.

Everything is secured properly. Why would the video cards just be bunk? Is it likely that I just got two defective video cards? Or is it more possible that something is wrong with my motherboard? Is it possible that jumper or voltage settings on my motherboard are off or wrong? I dont know, I just dont see why it would work for three days fine [other than having problems go to desktop from in game] and then stop working?

Also, I did remove the cmos battery and put it back in. Do any of you guys have any suggestions as to what I should do if I get my new video card and my computer still does'nt work correctly/it works correctly for a couple days and then dies? Should I just send everything back and insist they replace the motherboard? Or should I just talk to people on here and just go about getting a new mother board and putting it in myself? I dont know, I'm really frusterated. Maybe I'm just being impatient :\

edit : thanks for posting the bios beep codes. I guess that pretty much means that I'm having a video card adaptor failure. What does that mean exactly? Does that mean my video card is dead? Or does that mean my PCI-E slot is dead? I changed up my video card and plugged it into the other PCI-E slot and it still gave me the beep code meaning that I was having a video card adaptor failure. What is a Video card Adaptor anyhow? Is it a video driver?

Sorry if any of my questions seem like nub questions [Imma nub, i know].

Thanks for all the help thus far.
January 26, 2007 3:27:45 AM

Trip,

First, Welcome BACK!!!

Second, don't worry about what DID happen, worry now about what WILL happen.

If Cyberpower will entertain the idea of an RMA/Refund, I would go that route. They are a reputable dealer from long long ago.

Be sure and mention "resellerratings.com" while talking to customer service, as it tends to elevate you immediately to the level of service that you would expect in the first place.

Go to resellerratings.com and look around so if they ask, you are familiar with it.

If they RMA and Refund you (everything including the monitor) then I would do one of two things:

1) Buy a Dell. I am not saying this to be mean or rude but if this is your first build and you would rather buy then start there. Get a Core 2 Duo machine. You can build it out there similar to Cyberpower.

2) (my recommendation) Part out your system here (we will help). Have a friend that is good at the build process (or has at least built one machine) help with your build. (involve the beer AFTER the build is complete :) ) Remember with your first build it is like wood shop, measure six times and cut once. If you are not sure measure a 7th time and maybe ask us here.

Just so you know, I recently built a machine for my father-in-law which consisted of the following for $1980.00 (shipped) from Newegg as the only source.

Antec P180B Case
Antec Smart Power 2.0 450 Power Supply
ASUS P5B Deluxe-ap WIFI MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (stock cooler)
2gb 2x1gb Patriot DDR2-667 memory
ATI X1900XTX
20X LightScribe DVD +-RW
Logitech wireless mouse/keyboard combo
and
24" Widescreen Acer Monitor (very nice and high resolution)

Given your budget above you could make this build out look a whole lot better using a 7950GX2 if you would like too.

Hope this helps.

PS.. It may be your PCI-E rail on the PSU that is failing too. That could cause two cards to fail.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 26, 2007 3:33:56 AM

Boy, at this point I'd send the whole thing back and tell them to send me a working PC, or refund my money please. Tell them you appreciate the effort to trouble shoot the system over the phone, but really for what you paid it should be up to THEM to satisfy YOU. Try to stay patient, and don't get too angry with them, just be firm.
January 26, 2007 5:02:39 AM

Okay, both very good posts by the last two people. Thank you so much for all of your help. I just got an email with a tracking number for my video card, so at this point I'm going to wait on things a little bit and once my video card is here. If everything works at this point, I'll probably ride it out. If things dont work, I'm going to see if I cant get everything refunded and just consult all of you guys for what kind of system I should get with the budget I'm working with.

Also, the PCI-E rail on my PSU is what? A strip like a wide power cord strip? I'll check everything out when I'm completely sober tomarrow =]

Oh yes, and the resellerratings.com I'll check out for sure. Thank you guys so much.

:]
January 26, 2007 5:11:27 AM

Your video card should have a 6 pin adapter from the Power Supply that plugs directly into the card (wire from the PSU to the card with a keyed 6pins).

Do not focus on the word "rail" as it is internal to your power supply and you will not see it.

If your power supply has two IDENTICAL of these connectors? When you do the install of the next video card use the one that was NOT plugged into the card you are replacing (tape it or something so you know which TO use or NOT TO use).
January 26, 2007 5:13:45 AM

PS..

If you can help is DO NOT buy anything online without checking resellerratings.com and the BBB entries for that company.

At resellerratings.com just enter the company you are looking to buy at and read their feedback. Read through as many reviews as you can stand and draw you own conclusions then.

Happy Hunting!
January 26, 2007 5:23:21 AM

Awesome bro, I'll do that once my new video card arrives. It should probably show up around tuseday or wednesday of next week, but at the latest, friday. Once that shows up, I'll plug the other power cable into it instead of the one that's plugged into it now.

Also, just as a note, the only reason I was a jackass and did'nt really do a whole lot of research and reviews is because I was in Kuwait and just being impatient to come back to the states. Internet there is such trash :( 

You guys dont know how much I appreciate all of your help. Latar :D 
January 26, 2007 5:38:11 AM

I supported the first incursion into Iraq ;) 

Although I was lucky and did not have to go there. That is why the word supported. (I was the guy making sure the satellites were working to tell you guys to DUCK!!).

Ahhhh the Air Force gotta love it. 3000 miles away and in Air Conditioning :) 
January 26, 2007 5:48:35 AM

Hi there,

When you get your new video card make sure to take a long hard look at your computer box geometry. Let me explain:

With so much hurry-up mass production at times you can get case that doesn't have a true perpendicular fit with the motherboard and add-on cards (PCI,AGP, etc, etc)

What happens is that if you get a case that's off by a few degrees and then you tighten the hold-down screws - not to mention shipping the entire contraption to Lord knows where - you end up with a very "iffy" computer. I should know! From building many computers I've come accross many that don't have a square fit.

My advice: Lovingly turn off the power and reseat all the add-on components, IE: video card, memory, etc, etc .....take your time and check all your key areas for good fit.
January 26, 2007 5:56:36 AM

Just my two cents...

I'd avoid the GX2. It's a really weird video card that has a lot of issues that nvidia created just to have bragging rights on frame rates. Get a 8800 GTS if you can or whatever the top of the line 7900 is besides the GX2. You'll be a lot happier in the long run.

Also with a 19" inch display fillrate will not be an issue, consider an ATI card.
January 26, 2007 6:20:55 AM

Why did this fella mention he was in Iraq twice? Is that something to be proud of? Or is that supposed to make us more sympathetic? Please. Its a hardware forum.
Spit out your problem and spare us your life story.
January 26, 2007 6:48:46 AM

Send that piece of junk back to Cyber Power, and ask for a full refund, then built your pc more powerful for less money.
January 26, 2007 7:01:56 AM

Hey Zoz,

Thanks for your non-hardware contribution :) 

May be a young fella that is quite happy to NOT be there anymore.

You ever think that?

Of course you have never made a comment or two out of context.

Again, thanks for your contribution.

And yes it is something to be proud of since you were asking and not quite sure.

Have a great day/evening wherever you are.
January 26, 2007 10:15:50 AM

Quote:
edit : thanks for posting the bios beep codes. I guess that pretty much means that I'm having a video card adaptor failure. What does that mean exactly? Does that mean my video card is dead? Or does that mean my PCI-E slot is dead? I changed up my video card and plugged it into the other PCI-E slot and it still gave me the beep code meaning that I was having a video card adaptor failure. What is a Video card Adaptor anyhow? Is it a video driver?

It means the motherboard doesn't see a video card. As others have said - the video card has its own power plug - is it plugged in? Also, the card needs to be down and latched - they have a tendency to lift up at the back.

And you have excellent components, by the way. There really isn't anything inherently wrong with your configuration.
January 30, 2007 9:53:29 PM

Okay, so I got my new video card in. I did what people said. I made sure all my hardware was plugged in properly and I also used the other plug from the power supply to plug into my new video card instead of the old plug that was plugged into my video card.

My monitor is getting a signal. It was the good beep sound. Just one Beep! Windows was starting normally, and then it said that my system had'nt been shut down properly last time...it asked me to choose how I wanted to boot my computer. I just let the 30 second run down because I dont have my keyboard plugged in, so it booted from "Start Windows Normally" or whatever the default boot sequence is. It went through the welcome to windows screen like it was booting normally, but now it took me to a all Blue screen with white font. It says ::

STOP: c0000218 [Registry File Failure]
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SYSTEM
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

Will you guys be my technical support group? Heh. Please help! Thank you!
January 30, 2007 9:57:10 PM

Quote:
Okay, so I got my new video card in. I did what people said. I made sure all my hardware was plugged in properly and I also used the other plug from the power supply to plug into my new video card instead of the old plug that was plugged into my video card.

My monitor is getting a signal. It was the good beep sound. Just one Beep! Windows was starting normally, and then it said that my system had'nt been shut down properly last time...it asked me to choose how I wanted to boot my computer. I just let the 30 second run down because I dont have my keyboard plugged in, so it booted from "Start Windows Normally" or whatever the default boot sequence is. It went through the welcome to windows screen like it was booting normally, but now it took me to a all Blue screen with white font. It says ::

STOP: c0000218 [Registry File Failure]
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SYSTEM
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

Will you guys be my technical support group? Heh. Please help! Thank you!

Hook up the keyboard and boot using the last known good configuration
January 30, 2007 10:02:59 PM

Okay, that's kind of wierd. I plugged in my keyboard through usb. It did'nt work. My computer did'nt even know I had a keyboard plugged in. I plugged the little usb adaptor thingy onto usb cord from my computer and into the normal computer plug in the back of the computer. It still does'nt see my keyboard. Im going to try another keyboard.
January 30, 2007 10:08:41 PM

Hmm. So for some reason my computer cant see that I have a keyboard plugged in.

When i was on the phone with the guy from cyberpower computers, he took me through a whole bunch of trouble shooting stuff [this is with my old video card, the one that is dead]. He said I should try to put it into the other PCI-E slot, but in order to put it into the other slot, I had to unplug a couple things, so I did, but I'm pretty certian I plugged them back into the same slot. I'm gonna call cyberpower ;x
January 30, 2007 11:29:20 PM

wow?

can you enter the BOIS with you keyboard? if not then try another ,good, keyboard it that fails then you motherboard is starting to or is dead. I have a friend who has a Dell and he killed several motherboards and a CPU because his case did not have enough airflow to support his Graphics Card (7800gt). so check to see what the internal air temp is in the case.

i have not problems with heat in my case but then again i have 6 80mm case fans and a huge case..

if heat is killing it then it is time to send it back.
January 30, 2007 11:44:41 PM

U might need to reinstall windows.
February 4, 2007 4:54:26 PM

Trip,

Before Cyberpower "talks you through" your warranty period RETURN the "machine" for an RMA or ask for full money back.

Why should you troubleshoot their issues?
February 4, 2007 8:02:01 PM

Quote:
Hmm. So for some reason my computer cant see that I have a keyboard plugged in.

When i was on the phone with the guy from cyberpower computers, he took me through a whole bunch of trouble shooting stuff [this is with my old video card, the one that is dead]. He said I should try to put it into the other PCI-E slot, but in order to put it into the other slot, I had to unplug a couple things, so I did, but I'm pretty certian I plugged them back into the same slot. I'm gonna call cyberpower ;x

Dude quit with that PC, send it back, get your money back and build a Core2Duo rig.

You spent nearly 3 grand on a mid-range system and why?

You could spend $2000 here and we could build you a rig that eats AMD X2's and craps out Socket 754's.

We could build you a rig with a $2000 budget that will get you laid with computer chicks.

We could build you a rig with a $2000 budget that would make Bill Gates jealous.

Seriously, send it back. You spent all that time overseas in the military and you come back and can't even game for half an hour with a rig you spent your hard earned money on?

And if you went CyberPower because of a credit card or payment plan, trust me you can do better than them. There are other companies that prebuilt gaming PC's that are way more reputable.
!