Neverwinter Nights Henchmen

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

The way-down-there thread that's still active about HotU henchmen has me
curious.

What henchmen (if any) did you use in the original Neverwinter Nights game,
and why?

(no spoilers, please, if it can be at all helped!)

"mindseye" <mindseye@u.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<cl2b9i$1da$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu>...
> What henchmen (if any) did you use in the original Neverwinter Nights game,
> and why?

I was playing barbarian/fighter, so I chose:
Tomi Undergallows for a bit (because he could remove traps), but
mostly Daelen Red Tiger because between the two of us (at higher
levels), we could deal a whole lot of damage in a melee round.

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:16:50 -0700, "mindseye" <mindseye@u.washington.edu>
wrote:

>The way-down-there thread that's still active about HotU henchmen has me
>curious.
>
>What henchmen (if any) did you use in the original Neverwinter Nights game,
>and why?
>
>(no spoilers, please, if it can be at all helped!)

Grimgnaw, because he was cool, and because he was the best fighter. He didn't
die too often, and he didn't need coddling.

Actually, in OC i used them all because i wanted to see their stories and get
their special items. But Gringnaw was the one i always returned to.

eudas
Inside of every silver lining, there's a big, dark cloud.

"mindseye" <mindseye@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
> The way-down-there thread that's still active about HotU henchmen has me
> curious.
>
> What henchmen (if any) did you use in the original Neverwinter Nights
game,
> and why?
>
> (no spoilers, please, if it can be at all helped!)

OC---none
SoU---none
HOTU---none

mindseye wrote:
> The way-down-there thread that's still active about HotU henchmen has me
> curious.
>
> What henchmen (if any) did you use in the original Neverwinter Nights game,
> and why?
>
> (no spoilers, please, if it can be at all helped!)

Everyone long enough to do his/her quests, but most of the time, Linu
La'Neral, because she's a sweetie.

Vellu

All of them, to get the quests done. But mostly, depending on my own
character, Linu or Grimgnaw...whether I needed a healer or a killer as a
sidekick.

"mindseye" <mindseye@u.washington.edu> kirjoitti
viestissä:cl2b9i$1da$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu...
> The way-down-there thread that's still active about HotU henchmen has me
> curious.
>
> What henchmen (if any) did you use in the original Neverwinter Nights
> game, and why?
>
> (no spoilers, please, if it can be at all helped!)

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:16:50 -0700, "mindseye"
<mindseye@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>The way-down-there thread that's still active about HotU henchmen has me
>curious.
>
>What henchmen (if any) did you use in the original Neverwinter Nights game,
>and why?
>
>(no spoilers, please, if it can be at all helped!)

In the 'OC'
- First run, as a Paladin, I used Tomi for all of Ch1 & 2, and most of
Ch3, then switched to Linu ... she really is a sweetie!
- Just finished - Sorcerer as Solo ... so I only used them for their
cool items, but I almost took Linu ...

In SoU
- I played Paladin, and took Dorna. She was very nice, and Deekin
didn't 'do it' for me ...

In HotU
- First run I played Sorcerer, took Deekin at first, then added my
sweetie Linu and subbed in Tomi (old home week ;) ). Later changed to
Ny* and Va*, and later to Ar* and kept Ny*
- Thinking of a replay of HotU ... started as female Monk, but I'm not
getting 'traction', probably go back as Paladin ...

Mike

mindseye wrote:
> The way-down-there thread that's still active about HotU henchmen has me
> curious.
>
> What henchmen (if any) did you use in the original Neverwinter Nights game,
> and why?
>
> (no spoilers, please, if it can be at all helped!)

I talked to them all to do their quests, but you don't have to use them
for that. I started with Tomi since he's the first you meet, and the
theiving skills help a lot at first. Then I switched to Daelan because I
figured as a mage (I was), I needed a good melee fighter.

But for no real reason I tried out Grimgnaw and he was amazing. He
seemed to be even more powerful than Daelan, and because of his monk
skills, it's like he didn't even follow the rules of rounds and turns.
He just constantly attacked. I hardly have to join a fight when he is
with me.

tomi, because i played as a fighter so I didn't need one and I didn't trust
wizards, but I wanted sb to disarm traps and open locks.
in Hotu: deekin cause he was so funny
diuk

> What henchmen (if any) did you use in the original Neverwinter Nights
game,
> and why?
>
> (no spoilers, please, if it can be at all helped!)

I started with Tomi - in the days when trapped chests could still blow me
up - and finished with Linu - great for healing and, therefore, longevity in
battles. She can also deal out damage effectively.

I never really got into the others though I tried, I really did, with
Sharwyn. Found her pretty well useless. I think the barbarian is useful if
you're a mage and need physical protection. You're advised to choose to
compliment your own skills and I think that's basically right.

I played a ranger all the way through and with her creature summoning, basic
spells, bow and finally melee skills, a companion healer who could also hit
and go out and meet the oncoming bad guys while I fannied around casting
spells was a good choice. My character also ended up being very powerful
with a bow, so, at the end, she didn't actually come to blows in most fights
but picked off enemies with a wacking great bow and enchanted arrows while
Linu and my summoned wolf kept them at a distance.

Best wishes
Maxon

"mindseye" <mindseye@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
> The way-down-there thread that's still active about HotU henchmen has me
> curious.
>
> What henchmen (if any) did you use in the original Neverwinter Nights
game,
> and why?
>
> (no spoilers, please, if it can be at all helped!)

> In HotU
> - First run I played Sorcerer, took Deekin at first, then added my
> sweetie Linu and subbed in Tomi (old home week ;) ). Later changed to
> Ny* and Va*, and later to Ar* and kept Ny*
> - Thinking of a replay of HotU ... started as female Monk, but I'm not
> getting 'traction', probably go back as Paladin ...
>
> Mike

Well, let me assure you that a female monk rocks in HotU. Of course, the
bosses during the game may give you a hard time - but what kind of game
would this be if there was hardly any challenge at all...

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

Hah, I just realized I never answered my own question.

Seeing as I don't own either of the expansions (I don't know WHY I don't,
either...I just don't. I got NWN back when there WERE no expansions, and
haven't gotten around to buying them yet), I can only say that I use Linu
almost all the time for the original. The only two classes I've ever really
used much have been fighter/rogue and straight-up sorcerer. My fighter/rogue
could always hold his or her own in most combat (yay polearms!), but the
healing was nice. For the sorcerer-type, Linu's nice because she does some
good damage with that mace of hers, but she'll still heal me. Besides, I
usually take the panther as a familiar...between that, any summons I have up
at the moment, and Linu, I'm mostly set for melee - not to mention that the
panther's pretty good at finding traps for me, so I can just go to the
middle of the room and cast a couple of spells to unlock and detrap
everything in a darn good radius.

Linu's also just fun to have around. I can only imagine what she'd say to my
character, though.

"Are you using Knock to steal everything in this poor person's house?"

"...uh....noooooo.......of course not......."

-[ Blayde ]-

"mindseye" <mindseye@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
> The way-down-there thread that's still active about HotU henchmen has me
> curious.
>
> What henchmen (if any) did you use in the original Neverwinter Nights
> game, and why?
>
> (no spoilers, please, if it can be at all helped!)

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:17:36 +0200, Julian Eichert
<bolzbold@freenet.de> wrote:

>> In HotU
>> - First run I played Sorcerer, took Deekin at first, then added my
>> sweetie Linu and subbed in Tomi (old home week ;) ). Later changed to
>> Ny* and Va*, and later to Ar* and kept Ny*
>> - Thinking of a replay of HotU ... started as female Monk, but I'm not
>> getting 'traction', probably go back as Paladin ...
>>
>> Mike
>
>Well, let me assure you that a female monk rocks in HotU. Of course, the
>bosses during the game may give you a hard time - but what kind of game
>would this be if there was hardly any challenge at all...

I stopped the Monk run in the Undermountain, then restarted with my
good ol' Paladin. I played the last couple of nights while watching
the Red Sox (using my Powerbook) and am in the Maker Ruins, and
enjoying it very much ... I guess the Monk just isn't for me ...

Mike

Michael Anderson <txa1265@spymac.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:17:36 +0200, Julian Eichert
><bolzbold@freenet.de> wrote:
>
>>> In HotU
>>> - First run I played Sorcerer, took Deekin at first, then added my
>>> sweetie Linu and subbed in Tomi (old home week ;) ). Later changed to
>>> Ny* and Va*, and later to Ar* and kept Ny*
>>> - Thinking of a replay of HotU ... started as female Monk, but I'm not
>>> getting 'traction', probably go back as Paladin ...
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>>Well, let me assure you that a female monk rocks in HotU. Of course, the
>>bosses during the game may give you a hard time - but what kind of game
>>would this be if there was hardly any challenge at all...
>
>I stopped the Monk run in the Undermountain, then restarted with my
>good ol' Paladin. I played the last couple of nights while watching
>the Red Sox (using my Powerbook) and am in the Maker Ruins, and
>enjoying it very much ... I guess the Monk just isn't for me ...

Odd, I found that the Monk I started in SoU, took through a bridge
mission and then into HotU for the most part had an easy time of things.
Really depended a lot on the equipment and skill choices (I was heavily
into unarmed attacks and evasions.)
It's nice being immune to disarm because you don't use a weapon.

Ok, Mephy himself was unkillable since there's no gloves with the proper
damage type, and the no-magic zone was bad since it nulled my hp regen
gear.

If your stats will support it you can try taking a level of sorc and
going with monk/sorc/rdd. The stat boosts of the rdd _REALLY_ help a
monk.

Xocyll

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:44:05 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:
>Michael Anderson <txa1265@spymac.com> looked up from reading the
>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>say:
>>I stopped the Monk run in the Undermountain, then restarted with my
>>good ol' Paladin. I played the last couple of nights while watching
>>the Red Sox (using my Powerbook) and am in the Maker Ruins, and
>>enjoying it very much ... I guess the Monk just isn't for me ...
>
>Odd, I found that the Monk I started in SoU, took through a bridge
>mission and then into HotU for the most part had an easy time of things.
>Really depended a lot on the equipment and skill choices (I was heavily
>into unarmed attacks and evasions.)
>It's nice being immune to disarm because you don't use a weapon.

Actually, what I was trying to say was not that it was too hard, but I
wasn't enjoying the character and role play.

I just love playing as a Paladin and a Sorcerer. I've tried other
things at time, but none seem to hold my attention, other than the
Mercenary / Thief in Gothic II ... but I still like Fire Mage or
Paladin better ;)

Mike