Question on wireless networking

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I have to install a wireless solution for a friend .... his router will be about 30 feet + 1 floor (basement) away from the one he wants to connect to. i am not sure if the signal will go through the floor. was looking at this Dlink and was wondering if the signal will be strong enough ? could not find the info in the specs. Any help ?

thx :D

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Like most combo units it has low 2dbi gain antennas.

Use a seperate AP with High Gain (5+dbi) for a better chance. Floors can be hard to penetrate. Using a Seperate AP you have more option on positioning it for the best coverage.

And the problem may lay with the built in wireless if connecting to a notebook. There are a lot of them that are junk, most want the lowest power to save battery life.

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
thx for the reply. I had thought of seperate antenna for better reception. I talked to a friend today and he has a belkin g+ router and nic card for me to try tomorrow if that is not enough I will give the seperate ap a try also. The floor I have to get through is standard kitchen floor with ceramic tiling. and the remote comp is standard desktop.

thx again !

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Don't put much faith in the Belkin.

They are not very reliable.

Everyone I ever delt with were junk and did not work. Brand new out of the box. And the ones that did work constantly dropped connections and locked up.