Local User allowed to install Printers

How can I allow either a user or power user to install any printer they
wish? I have done the load-unload-device-drivers and that did not work?

-thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about local user allowed install printers

    A domain user account object that is a member of the local computers Power
    Users group will be able to install a printer...any printer to which he/she
    has the appropriate permissions. However, the story changes if that same
    domain user account object is simply a member of the local computers Users
    group ( the default ).

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24014

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "richierich" <rsr2564@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > How can I allow either a user or power user to install any printer they
    > wish? I have done the load-unload-device-drivers and that did not work?
    >
    > -thanks

    That is correct. I have yet to see how you can have a domain user who is a
    member of the local users group be given explicit rights to install print
    drivers. Do you have a way to allow this and still keep the domain user a
    member of the local users group on the system?

    -thanks

    "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > A domain user account object that is a member of the local computers Power
    > Users group will be able to install a printer...any printer to which
    he/she
    > has the appropriate permissions. However, the story changes if that same
    > domain user account object is simply a member of the local computers Users
    > group ( the default ).
    >
    > --
    > Cary W. Shultz
    > Roanoke, VA 24014
    > Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >
    > http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    > http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >

    > "richierich" <rsr2564@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > How can I allow either a user or power user to install any printer they
    > > wish? I have done the load-unload-device-drivers and that did not
    work?

    > > -thanks

    I don't think Windows would be able to handle that. What would stop the
    user from attaching an mp3 player?... or other hardware not approved in your
    environment? You'd be allowing a driver installation, but wanting to limit
    driver installations. How often is it that you have a user installing a
    local printer?

    Ken

    > That is correct. I have yet to see how you can have a domain user who is a
    > member of the local users group be given explicit rights to install print
    > drivers. Do you have a way to allow this and still keep the domain user a
    > member of the local users group on the system?
    >
    > -thanks
    >

    > "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> A domain user account object that is a member of the local computers
    >> Power
    >> Users group will be able to install a printer...any printer to which
    > he/she
    >> has the appropriate permissions. However, the story changes if that
    >> same
    >> domain user account object is simply a member of the local computers
    >> Users
    >> group ( the default ).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cary W. Shultz
    >> Roanoke, VA 24014
    >> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >>
    >> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    >> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >>

    >> "richierich" <rsr2564@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > How can I allow either a user or power user to install any printer they
    >> > wish? I have done the load-unload-device-drivers and that did not
    > work?
    >> >
    >> > -thanks

    Hi,

    >I have yet to see how you can have a domain user who is a
    >member of the local users group be given explicit rights to install
    >print
    >drivers. Do you have a way to allow this and still keep the domain
    >user a
    >member of the local users group on the system?

    It depends on whether you are talking network printers or physical
    local printers.

    I run network printers and I put a startup script to add the printers
    to the computer (which installs the files and printer). Once the
    printer is set in the startup script a user can add it as many times
    as they want as the files are already on the computer. However, I
    haven’t played with the "allow add devices". Also, the printer files
    are stored in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86
    directory so you could try giving write access to that.

    rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /q /n "\\server\printer"

    Cheers,
    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Local-User-allowed-install-Printers-ftopict258795.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=803394

    Domain user with local user privlige ability to install local printers

    "lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    >>I have yet to see how you can have a domain user who is a
    >>member of the local users group be given explicit rights to install
    >>print
    >>drivers. Do you have a way to allow this and still keep the domain
    >>user a
    >>member of the local users group on the system?
    >
    > It depends on whether you are talking network printers or physical
    > local printers.
    >
    > I run network printers and I put a startup script to add the printers
    > to the computer (which installs the files and printer). Once the
    > printer is set in the startup script a user can add it as many times
    > as they want as the files are already on the computer. However, I
    > haven't played with the "allow add devices". Also, the printer files
    > are stored in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86
    > directory so you could try giving write access to that.
    >
    > rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /q /n "\\server\printer"
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Lara

    > request
    > Topic URL: