Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Local User allowed to install Printers

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
January 31, 2005 8:17:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

How can I allow either a user or power user to install any printer they
wish? I have done the load-unload-device-drivers and that did not work?

-thanks
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 12:26:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

A domain user account object that is a member of the local computers Power
Users group will be able to install a printer...any printer to which he/she
has the appropriate permissions. However, the story changes if that same
domain user account object is simply a member of the local computers Users
group ( the default ).

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014
Microsoft Active Directory MVP

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com



"richierich" <rsr2564@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ejSo5K%23BFHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> How can I allow either a user or power user to install any printer they
> wish? I have done the load-unload-device-drivers and that did not work?
>
> -thanks
>
February 1, 2005 4:43:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

That is correct. I have yet to see how you can have a domain user who is a
member of the local users group be given explicit rights to install print
drivers. Do you have a way to allow this and still keep the domain user a
member of the local users group on the system?

-thanks



"Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o Dnr%23VACFHA.2608@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> A domain user account object that is a member of the local computers Power
> Users group will be able to install a printer...any printer to which
he/she
> has the appropriate permissions. However, the story changes if that same
> domain user account object is simply a member of the local computers Users
> group ( the default ).
>
> --
> Cary W. Shultz
> Roanoke, VA 24014
> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
>
> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
>
>
>
> "richierich" <rsr2564@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ejSo5K%23BFHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > How can I allow either a user or power user to install any printer they
> > wish? I have done the load-unload-device-drivers and that did not
work?
> >
> > -thanks
> >
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 1:26:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

I don't think Windows would be able to handle that. What would stop the
user from attaching an mp3 player?... or other hardware not approved in your
environment? You'd be allowing a driver installation, but wanting to limit
driver installations. How often is it that you have a user installing a
local printer?

Ken


"RichieRich" <rsr2564@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o ukBUlCCFHA.868@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> That is correct. I have yet to see how you can have a domain user who is a
> member of the local users group be given explicit rights to install print
> drivers. Do you have a way to allow this and still keep the domain user a
> member of the local users group on the system?
>
> -thanks
>
>
>
> "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:o Dnr%23VACFHA.2608@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> A domain user account object that is a member of the local computers
>> Power
>> Users group will be able to install a printer...any printer to which
> he/she
>> has the appropriate permissions. However, the story changes if that
>> same
>> domain user account object is simply a member of the local computers
>> Users
>> group ( the default ).
>>
>> --
>> Cary W. Shultz
>> Roanoke, VA 24014
>> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
>>
>> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
>> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
>>
>>
>>
>> "richierich" <rsr2564@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:ejSo5K%23BFHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> > How can I allow either a user or power user to install any printer they
>> > wish? I have done the load-unload-device-drivers and that did not
> work?
>> >
>> > -thanks
>> >
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 10:42:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Hi,

>I have yet to see how you can have a domain user who is a
>member of the local users group be given explicit rights to install
>print
>drivers. Do you have a way to allow this and still keep the domain
>user a
>member of the local users group on the system?

It depends on whether you are talking network printers or physical
local printers.

I run network printers and I put a startup script to add the printers
to the computer (which installs the files and printer). Once the
printer is set in the startup script a user can add it as many times
as they want as the files are already on the computer. However, I
haven’t played with the "allow add devices". Also, the printer files
are stored in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86
directory so you could try giving write access to that.

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /q /n "\\server\printer"

Cheers,
Lara

--
Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Local-User-al...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=803394
February 3, 2005 1:42:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Domain user with local user privlige ability to install local printers


"lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
news:420021f4$1_5@alt.athenanews.com...
> Hi,
>
>>I have yet to see how you can have a domain user who is a
>>member of the local users group be given explicit rights to install
>>print
>>drivers. Do you have a way to allow this and still keep the domain
>>user a
>>member of the local users group on the system?
>
> It depends on whether you are talking network printers or physical
> local printers.
>
> I run network printers and I put a startup script to add the printers
> to the computer (which installs the files and printer). Once the
> printer is set in the startup script a user can add it as many times
> as they want as the files are already on the computer. However, I
> haven't played with the "allow add devices". Also, the printer files
> are stored in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86
> directory so you could try giving write access to that.
>
> rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /q /n "\\server\printer"
>
> Cheers,
> Lara
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> request
> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Local-User-al...
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=803394
!