A Folder Windows Cannot Understand/Cope With

February 15, 2005 12:59:37 PM

I have a folder Windows won't let me get rid of. When I try to delete
it I get this:

"Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

When I try to rename it I get:

"Cannot rename file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

When I try to delete the parent folder I get:

"Cannot delete <problem folder>: Cannot find the specified file
Make sure you specify the correct path and file name"

It looks like the problem folder name my have a blank/space added
after the name. The name is only 5 characters long.

I can go into the problem folder and I have deleted all sub folders
that were in it, but I cannot do anything with the folder itself or
delete it's parent folder.

Ken
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 1:29:39 PM

Can't Delete a File or Folder in XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del
You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"Ken Hall" <kenhall2REMOVE@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

> I have a folder Windows won't let me get rid of. When I try to delete
> it I get this:
>
> "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."
>
> When I try to rename it I get:
>
> "Cannot rename file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."
>
> When I try to delete the parent folder I get:
>
> "Cannot delete <problem folder>: Cannot find the specified file
> Make sure you specify the correct path and file name"
>
> It looks like the problem folder name my have a blank/space added
> after the name. The name is only 5 characters long.
>
> I can go into the problem folder and I have deleted all sub folders
> that were in it, but I cannot do anything with the folder itself or
> delete it's parent folder.
>
> Ken
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 1:29:51 PM

It would be best to boot into Safe Mode, search for the folder,
then delete it.

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222&Product=winxp

How to Delete A File That Is Seemingly "Undeletable"
http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Ken Hall" wrote:

| I have a folder Windows won't let me get rid of. When I try to delete
| it I get this:
|
| "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."
|
| When I try to rename it I get:
|
| "Cannot rename file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."
|
| When I try to delete the parent folder I get:
|
| "Cannot delete <problem folder>: Cannot find the specified file
| Make sure you specify the correct path and file name"
|
| It looks like the problem folder name my have a blank/space added
| after the name. The name is only 5 characters long.
|
| I can go into the problem folder and I have deleted all sub folders
| that were in it, but I cannot do anything with the folder itself or
| delete it's parent folder.
|
| Ken
February 15, 2005 2:47:34 PM

Ken Hall <kenhall2REMOVE@houston.rr.com> wrote in

> I have a folder Windows won't let me get rid of. When I try to delete
> it I get this:
>
> "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."
>
> When I try to rename it I get:
>
> "Cannot rename file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."
>
> When I try to delete the parent folder I get:
>
> "Cannot delete <problem folder>: Cannot find the specified file
> Make sure you specify the correct path and file name"
>
> It looks like the problem folder name my have a blank/space added
> after the name. The name is only 5 characters long.
>
> I can go into the problem folder and I have deleted all sub folders
> that were in it, but I cannot do anything with the folder itself or
> delete it's parent folder.
>
> Ken

another option, open a command prompt, CD to the parent folder (of the
problem folder), do a DIR /x. this will give the 'real' name of the
folder if it is a malformed folder name. i can't remember how this is
created, or how it doesn't conform to a 'proper' name. you can then try
an RD to remove it from the command prompt.

just another possibility.

regards,

DS
February 15, 2005 7:31:48 PM

Ken Hall wrote:
> I have a folder Windows won't let me get rid of. When I try to delete
> it I get this:
>
> "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."
>
> When I try to rename it I get:
>
> "Cannot rename file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."
>
> When I try to delete the parent folder I get:
>
> "Cannot delete <problem folder>: Cannot find the specified file
> Make sure you specify the correct path and file name"
>
> It looks like the problem folder name my have a blank/space added
> after the name. The name is only 5 characters long.
>
> I can go into the problem folder and I have deleted all sub folders
> that were in it, but I cannot do anything with the folder itself or
> delete it's parent folder.
>
> Ken

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and deleting it there?

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
!