A Folder Windows Cannot Understand/Cope With

I have a folder Windows won't let me get rid of. When I try to delete
it I get this:

"Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

When I try to rename it I get:

"Cannot rename file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

When I try to delete the parent folder I get:

"Cannot delete <problem folder>: Cannot find the specified file
Make sure you specify the correct path and file name"

It looks like the problem folder name my have a blank/space added
after the name. The name is only 5 characters long.

I can go into the problem folder and I have deleted all sub folders
that were in it, but I cannot do anything with the folder itself or
delete it's parent folder.

Ken
4 answers Last reply
More about folder windows understand cope with

    Can't Delete a File or Folder in XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del
    You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "Ken Hall" <kenhall2REMOVE@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

    > I have a folder Windows won't let me get rid of. When I try to delete
    > it I get this:
    >
    > "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."
    >
    > When I try to rename it I get:
    >
    > "Cannot rename file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."
    >
    > When I try to delete the parent folder I get:
    >
    > "Cannot delete <problem folder>: Cannot find the specified file
    > Make sure you specify the correct path and file name"
    >
    > It looks like the problem folder name my have a blank/space added
    > after the name. The name is only 5 characters long.
    >
    > I can go into the problem folder and I have deleted all sub folders
    > that were in it, but I cannot do anything with the folder itself or
    > delete it's parent folder.
    >
    > Ken

    It would be best to boot into Safe Mode, search for the folder,
    then delete it.

    A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222&Product=winxp

    How to Delete A File That Is Seemingly "Undeletable"
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Ken Hall" wrote:

    | I have a folder Windows won't let me get rid of. When I try to delete
    | it I get this:
    |
    | "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."
    |
    | When I try to rename it I get:
    |
    | "Cannot rename file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."
    |
    | When I try to delete the parent folder I get:
    |
    | "Cannot delete <problem folder>: Cannot find the specified file
    | Make sure you specify the correct path and file name"
    |
    | It looks like the problem folder name my have a blank/space added
    | after the name. The name is only 5 characters long.
    |
    | I can go into the problem folder and I have deleted all sub folders
    | that were in it, but I cannot do anything with the folder itself or
    | delete it's parent folder.
    |
    | Ken

    Ken Hall <kenhall2REMOVE@houston.rr.com> wrote in

    > I have a folder Windows won't let me get rid of. When I try to delete
    > it I get this:
    >
    > "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."
    >
    > When I try to rename it I get:
    >
    > "Cannot rename file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."
    >
    > When I try to delete the parent folder I get:
    >
    > "Cannot delete <problem folder>: Cannot find the specified file
    > Make sure you specify the correct path and file name"
    >
    > It looks like the problem folder name my have a blank/space added
    > after the name. The name is only 5 characters long.
    >
    > I can go into the problem folder and I have deleted all sub folders
    > that were in it, but I cannot do anything with the folder itself or
    > delete it's parent folder.
    >
    > Ken

    another option, open a command prompt, CD to the parent folder (of the
    problem folder), do a DIR /x. this will give the 'real' name of the
    folder if it is a malformed folder name. i can't remember how this is
    created, or how it doesn't conform to a 'proper' name. you can then try
    an RD to remove it from the command prompt.

    just another possibility.

    regards,

    DS

    Ken Hall wrote:
    > I have a folder Windows won't let me get rid of. When I try to delete
    > it I get this:
    >
    > "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."
    >
    > When I try to rename it I get:
    >
    > "Cannot rename file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."
    >
    > When I try to delete the parent folder I get:
    >
    > "Cannot delete <problem folder>: Cannot find the specified file
    > Make sure you specify the correct path and file name"
    >
    > It looks like the problem folder name my have a blank/space added
    > after the name. The name is only 5 characters long.
    >
    > I can go into the problem folder and I have deleted all sub folders
    > that were in it, but I cannot do anything with the folder itself or
    > delete it's parent folder.
    >
    > Ken

    Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and deleting it there?

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

File Name Microsoft Windows XP