Reduce IE TEMP Files size

April 22, 2005 3:19:17 PM

Is there a setting somewhere to LIMIT the maximum total size of IE temp
files on the PPC?

--
Gavin
http://sbscanada.blogspot.com

More about : reduce temp files size

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 3:19:18 PM

Just a partial answer... there is a third party utility that will limit
pie temp file storage and it has been mentioned here recently but I
can't remember the name, so google for POCKETPC PIE TEMP LIMIT and use
google groups to search this forum as well.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 7:02:50 PM

"Gavin" <gavin@INTERPROM.COM.> wrote in message
> Is there a setting somewhere to LIMIT the maximum total size of IE temp
> files on the PPC?
>
> --
> Gavin
> http://sbscanada.blogspot.com
> http://pocketpccanada.blogspot.com/

From this group, last June:

Using your well trusted Registry Editor, you will have to go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\5.0\Cache\Content

you will have to change the DWORD Data from 19456 (decimal value) to
any value of your preference from 512 up to 19456. I amusing these
values basing it on the Microsoft default value of 512 and the amount
set by default in my iPAQ h2210 being 19456. These values reflect the
size in KB.

DWORD Value
Name CacheLimit
DWORD Data 19456
Base Decimal

In this example, the value was changed from 19456KB to 2048KB:

DWORD Value
Name CacheLimit
DWORD Data 2048
Base Decimal

This then limits the size of the cache to 2MB which leaves the rest of
the RAM free for other applications to use.

--
ppcsurfr
ppcsurfr's Profile:

>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\5.0\Cache\Content <<

Does this now work? Memory is vague, but tried this or something
similar on the Jornada 540 but ultimately came to the conclusion that
the value was not being observed.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 1:12:21 AM

message news:%23TtP3wTSFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings\5.0\Cache\Content <<
>
> Does this now work? Memory is vague, but tried this or something
> similar on the Jornada 540 but ultimately came to the conclusion that
> the value was not being observed.

Good question. As I peruse the file structure on my hx2750,
I can't even find out where the cache is. In the Windows directory,
nothing ever appears in the Temporary Internet Files directory,
even with a PIE session open, and several pages viewed.

April 25, 2005 2:29:01 PM

FWIW, Cache directory is \windows\temporary_internet_files with files
scattered between several cryptically named subfolders.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 11:55:35 PM

V Green wrote:
> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> message news:%23TtP3wTSFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
[...]
>> Does this now work? Memory is vague, but tried this or something
>> similar on the Jornada 540 but ultimately came to the conclusion that
>> the value was not being observed.
>
> Good question. As I peruse the file structure on my hx2750,
> I can't even find out where the cache is. In the Windows directory,
> nothing ever appears in the Temporary Internet Files directory,
> even with a PIE session open, and several pages viewed.

On WM2003, the cache files are in "\windows\profiles\guest\temporary
internet files\content.ie5". AFAIK the "\windows\temporary internet files"
folder isn't used.

Tony
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 11:55:36 PM

"Tony A." <what@where.why.com> wrote in message
> V Green wrote:
> > "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> > message news:%23TtP3wTSFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> >> Does this now work? Memory is vague, but tried this or something
> >> similar on the Jornada 540 but ultimately came to the conclusion that
> >> the value was not being observed.
> >
> > Good question. As I peruse the file structure on my hx2750,
> > I can't even find out where the cache is. In the Windows directory,
> > nothing ever appears in the Temporary Internet Files directory,
> > even with a PIE session open, and several pages viewed.
> >
> On WM2003, the cache files are in "\windows\profiles\guest\temporary
> internet files\content.ie5". AFAIK the "\windows\temporary internet files"
> folder isn't used.
>
> Tony

Thanks, Tony.

The current size of the stuff in the cache is 2085.92 KB,
about what it should be for the 2048 limit I've set with the
aforementioned Reg entry. I'll monitor things and see if
it goes any higher, to see if Bev's suspicions are correct.

April 26, 2005 12:55:53 AM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:19:17 -0400, "Gavin" <gavin@INTERPROM.COM.>
wrote:

>Is there a setting somewhere to LIMIT the maximum total size of IE temp
>files on the PPC?

Another option is to change the location of the IE temp cache files to
for example, your memory card to save RAM, leaving the size intact to
speed up browsing.

Check out MemAid
http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14279

This program will also let you limit the IE temp cache size if that is
all you want, plus a host of other very useful memory management
options.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:43:37 AM

Thanks,