IE Maintainance Policy XP SP2

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 3, 2005 8:17:01 AM

Hi

I have an issue with IE Maintainance policy not being applied after
upgrading clients to XP SP2. In particular, home page settings, proxy
settings and favourites are no longer being applied after upgrade.

I read in an earlier post relating to proxy settings that hotfix 888254 from
Microsoft was required to fix this. I obtained this fix, and the proxy
setting issue was resolved. However, home page and favourites policies are
still not being applied.

Can anyone help? Are further hotfixes required?

Windows 2000 domain. 2000 pro clients are not affected.

Regards
P Basham
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 11:41:01 AM

Hi

Keep in mind that Internet Explorer Maintenance Policy only re-applies when
it's changed or when it's new. You can alter this behaviour with:

306915 Internet Explorer Maintenance Group Policies Do Not Apply During
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306915

You might find some reason for the policy not applying if you refer to a
User Environment Debug log:

221833 How to enable user environment debug logging in retail builds of
Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=221833

You can also refer to the brndlog.txt file in:

<user profile>\\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

HTH
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team

"P Basham" <P Basham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have an issue with IE Maintainance policy not being applied after
> upgrading clients to XP SP2. In particular, home page settings, proxy
> settings and favourites are no longer being applied after upgrade.
>
> I read in an earlier post relating to proxy settings that hotfix 888254
> from
> Microsoft was required to fix this. I obtained this fix, and the proxy
> setting issue was resolved. However, home page and favourites policies are
> still not being applied.
>
> Can anyone help? Are further hotfixes required?
>
> Windows 2000 domain. 2000 pro clients are not affected.
>
> Regards
> P Basham
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 11:41:02 AM

Mark

Many thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately no joy, heres what I did:

Reset browser settings in pupils OU, IE Maintainance Policy. Re-entered
values (Proxy, HomePage, URL's).
Reset registry key NoGPOListChanges to 0 on client machine.
Deleted Local XP SP2 client Documents and Settings\<username>.
Rebooted.
Logged on as <username>

Again, proxy settings applied, but nothing else.

Please be aware Application Data folder is stored in users home folder on
server.

Here is the entry from todays brndlog.txt relating to <username>
02/04/2005 10:40:09 ! NoExternalBranding restriction is set. Branding will
not be applied.
02/04/2005 10:40:09 Done.

Windows 2000 Pro clients still behaving nicely.

Regards
P Basham
February 7, 2005 11:02:18 AM

Hi

The NoExternalBranding restriction is usually set via:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet
Explorer\Disable external branding of Internet Explorer.

This would prevent the application of Maintenance Policy. You might want to
look through the GPO's that are applying to the user and see if this is set.

If the policy isn't set, it may be set statically under

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions

HTH
--

> Mark
>
> Many thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately no joy, heres what I did:
>
> Reset browser settings in pupils OU, IE Maintainance Policy. Re-entered
> values (Proxy, HomePage, URL's).
> Reset registry key NoGPOListChanges to 0 on client machine.
> Deleted Local XP SP2 client Documents and Settings\<username>.
> Rebooted.
> Logged on as <username>
>
> Again, proxy settings applied, but nothing else.
>
> Please be aware Application Data folder is stored in users home folder on
> server.
>
> Here is the entry from todays brndlog.txt relating to <username>
> 02/04/2005 10:40:09 ! NoExternalBranding restriction is set. Branding will
> not be applied.
> 02/04/2005 10:40:09 Done.
>
> Windows 2000 Pro clients still behaving nicely.
>
> Regards
> P Basham

Anonymous
February 7, 2005 11:02:19 AM

Mark

Again, thanks for the reply. We did have the disable branding policy set,
but after enabling it, we only have the default links & favouites set, our
url's are not applied.

The proxy & about:blank policies are now being applied, these are both set
on the default domain policy. We have two OU's, pupils and staff. On these
policies we have differing url's set. Neither of the two IE maintainance
policies are being applied.

After uninstalling XP SP2 on a machine, all the problems disappear. Windows
2000 Pro machines and 2003 Server also have no problems. This has to be a bug
of some discription. Do you know of a fix?

Regards
Paul Basham
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 10:57:47 AM

Hi Paul

This does sound like 888254. I see from your original post that you've
tried this. Did you also obtain the registry modification that allows this
fix to take effect?

Paste the stuff between the **** into a text file and name .reg and run it
on an effected client. Be careful with word wrapping in your newsreader

****
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_GPO_BRANDING_WITH_FOLDER_REDIRECTION_KB888254]
"*"=dword:00000001
"IEXPLORE.EXE"=dword:00000001
"EXPLORER.EXE"=dword:00000001
****

If that doesn't resolve the issue, I'd suggest logging a case with Microsoft
so that a possible additional bug can be investigated.

Kind regards
--

> Mark
>
> Again, thanks for the reply. We did have the disable branding policy set,
> but after enabling it, we only have the default links & favouites set, our
> url's are not applied.
>
> The proxy & about:blank policies are now being applied, these are both set
> on the default domain policy. We have two OU's, pupils and staff. On these
> policies we have differing url's set. Neither of the two IE maintainance
> policies are being applied.
>
> After uninstalling XP SP2 on a machine, all the problems disappear.
> Windows
> 2000 Pro machines and 2003 Server also have no problems. This has to be a
> bug
> of some discription. Do you know of a fix?
>
> Regards
> Paul Basham
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 10:57:48 AM

I just want to add that I installed the patch and installed the new registry
keys, but the problem remains. I have a group policy that adds a server to
the trusted sites zone so my users don't have to retype their usernames and
passwords, they can use integrated authentication instead. According to
gpresult /z the policy is being applied, but integrated authentication has
not worked since windows xp sp2. How does a person log a case to get this
problem looked at?

Just my two cents on the problem,

Jason

"Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o I$queVDFHA.228@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi Paul
>
> This does sound like 888254. I see from your original post that you've
> tried this. Did you also obtain the registry modification that allows
> this fix to take effect?
>
> Paste the stuff between the **** into a text file and name .reg and run it
> on an effected client. Be careful with word wrapping in your newsreader
>
> ****
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_GPO_BRANDING_WITH_FOLDER_REDIRECTION_KB888254]
> "*"=dword:00000001
> "IEXPLORE.EXE"=dword:00000001
> "EXPLORER.EXE"=dword:00000001
> ****
>
> If that doesn't resolve the issue, I'd suggest logging a case with
> Microsoft so that a possible additional bug can be investigated.
>
> Kind regards
> --
> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> Windows Platform Support Team
> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>
> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> rights.
>

> "P Basham" <PBasham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Mark
>>
>> Again, thanks for the reply. We did have the disable branding policy set,
>> but after enabling it, we only have the default links & favouites set,
>> our
>> url's are not applied.
>>
>> The proxy & about:blank policies are now being applied, these are both
>> set
>> on the default domain policy. We have two OU's, pupils and staff. On
>> these
>> policies we have differing url's set. Neither of the two IE maintainance
>> policies are being applied.
>>
>> After uninstalling XP SP2 on a machine, all the problems disappear.
>> Windows
>> 2000 Pro machines and 2003 Server also have no problems. This has to be a
>> bug
>> of some discription. Do you know of a fix?
>>
>> Regards
>> Paul Basham

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:07:02 PM

Jason

I found I had to delete the local C:\Documents and Settings\<username>
folder before the settings applied to the user.

HTH
Paul Basham

"Jason Dravet" wrote:

> I just want to add that I installed the patch and installed the new registry
> keys, but the problem remains. I have a group policy that adds a server to
> the trusted sites zone so my users don't have to retype their usernames and
> passwords, they can use integrated authentication instead. According to
> gpresult /z the policy is being applied, but integrated authentication has
> not worked since windows xp sp2. How does a person log a case to get this
> problem looked at?
>
> Just my two cents on the problem,
>
> Jason
>

> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:o I$queVDFHA.228@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Hi Paul
> >
> > This does sound like 888254. I see from your original post that you've
> > tried this. Did you also obtain the registry modification that allows
> > this fix to take effect?
> >
> > Paste the stuff between the **** into a text file and name .reg and run it
> > on an effected client. Be careful with word wrapping in your newsreader
> >
> > ****
> > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
> >
> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
> > Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_GPO_BRANDING_WITH_FOLDER_REDIRECTION_KB888254]
> > "*"=dword:00000001
> > "IEXPLORE.EXE"=dword:00000001
> > "EXPLORER.EXE"=dword:00000001
> > ****
> >
> > If that doesn't resolve the issue, I'd suggest logging a case with
> > Microsoft so that a possible additional bug can be investigated.
> >
> > Kind regards
> > --
> > Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> > Windows Platform Support Team
> > Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
> >
> > Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> > me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> > rights.
> >

> > "P Basham" <PBasham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Mark
> >>
> >> Again, thanks for the reply. We did have the disable branding policy set,
> >> but after enabling it, we only have the default links & favouites set,
> >> our
> >> url's are not applied.
> >>
> >> The proxy & about:blank policies are now being applied, these are both
> >> set
> >> on the default domain policy. We have two OU's, pupils and staff. On
> >> these
> >> policies we have differing url's set. Neither of the two IE maintainance
> >> policies are being applied.
> >>
> >> After uninstalling XP SP2 on a machine, all the problems disappear.
> >> Windows
> >> 2000 Pro machines and 2003 Server also have no problems. This has to be a
> >> bug
> >> of some discription. Do you know of a fix?
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Paul Basham

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:11:50 PM

Hi Jason

If you head to http://support.microsoft.com you'll see a list of support
options on the left that link to the specific information for your region.

Kind regards
--

"Jason Dravet" <dravet@calumet.purdue.edu> wrote in message
>I just want to add that I installed the patch and installed the new
>registry keys, but the problem remains. I have a group policy that adds a
>server to the trusted sites zone so my users don't have to retype their
>usernames and passwords, they can use integrated authentication instead.
>According to gpresult /z the policy is being applied, but integrated
>authentication has not worked since windows xp sp2. How does a person log
>a case to get this problem looked at?
>
> Just my two cents on the problem,
>
> Jason
>

> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:o I$queVDFHA.228@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Paul
>>
>> This does sound like 888254. I see from your original post that you've
>> tried this. Did you also obtain the registry modification that allows
>> this fix to take effect?
>>
>> Paste the stuff between the **** into a text file and name .reg and run
>> it
>> on an effected client. Be careful with word wrapping in your newsreader
>>
>> ****
>> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
>> Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_GPO_BRANDING_WITH_FOLDER_REDIRECTION_KB888254]
>> "*"=dword:00000001
>> "IEXPLORE.EXE"=dword:00000001
>> "EXPLORER.EXE"=dword:00000001
>> ****
>>
>> If that doesn't resolve the issue, I'd suggest logging a case with
>> Microsoft so that a possible additional bug can be investigated.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> --
>> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
>> Windows Platform Support Team
>> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>>
>> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
>> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

>> rights.
>>

>> "P Basham" <PBasham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Mark
>>>
>>> Again, thanks for the reply. We did have the disable branding policy
>>> set,
>>> but after enabling it, we only have the default links & favouites set,
>>> our
>>> url's are not applied.
>>>
>>> The proxy & about:blank policies are now being applied, these are both
>>> set
>>> on the default domain policy. We have two OU's, pupils and staff. On
>>> these
>>> policies we have differing url's set. Neither of the two IE maintainance
>>> policies are being applied.
>>>
>>> After uninstalling XP SP2 on a machine, all the problems disappear.
>>> Windows
>>> 2000 Pro machines and 2003 Server also have no problems. This has to be
>>> a
>>> bug
>>> of some discription. Do you know of a fix?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Paul Basham

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:11:51 PM

Mark

Success!! Many thanks.

You would have thought the guy from Microsoft may have mentioned the .reg
key to me when I requested the hotfix.

Again, many thanks.

Paul Basham
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:11:51 PM

Mark

Success!! Many thanks.

You would have thought the guy from Microsoft would have mentioned the .reg
key when I requested the hotfix.

Thanks again.
Paul Basham
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 12:45:23 PM

Hi Paul

This is actually a public article now and contains the registry information
that's needed:

888254 You cannot set the Folder Redirection policy setting on a Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=888254

Kind regards
--

> Mark
>
> Success!! Many thanks.
>
> You would have thought the guy from Microsoft may have mentioned the .reg
> key to me when I requested the hotfix.
>
> Again, many thanks.
>
> Paul Basham
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:31:04 PM

Thanks, I will give that a try. I am sorry it took so long to respond, but
I was sick last week.

Jason

!