replacing the system.adm file with a custom one

Sher

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

Hi all,
I am trying to hide certain drives so I have modified the system.adm file on
my 2003 server. First I copied it to my desktop and modified it there. Then
I made a backup copy of it on my desktop. Now I am ready to copy my custom
one to put it in use.
First, when I searched for the system.adm file I found about 25 system.adm
files listed at these locations:
c:\windows\inf (the one I copied and modified)
c:\windows\sysvol\domain-------
It appears to show up under each gp folder.
I also have a 2nd dc 2000 server which has the location
c:\winnt\inf
My question is do I need to replace it in all of these 25 locations or just
at the c:\windows\inf location?
My concern is that when I look at the size of the system.adm files they are
different.
Or is there a better way to modify the system.adm file so that I can add the
hide drives features. (I am trying to hide the P: M: c: drives. I have the
instructions to do that just don't know where to put the new custom file.)
Thanks in advance for any help
Sher

Sher

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

Hi again,
OK I read the ms article Q231289 on this and now understand that I need to
create a custom one and then import it instead of replacing the orginial one.
But I don't quite understand what the custom one should have. I just
modified the hide drives sections and left everything else alone. If I name
my custom one custom.adm and import it, will it still be reading both
policies and which one will stick? I have created my own group policy object
that I am applying to my user ou. I am assuming that I import it by right
clicking on my gp object and choosing the import settings wizard.
Hope you can explain this a little more clearer to me before I really mess
something up.
Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Sherry

"Sher" wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am trying to hide certain drives so I have modified the system.adm file on
> my 2003 server. First I copied it to my desktop and modified it there. Then
> I made a backup copy of it on my desktop. Now I am ready to copy my custom
> one to put it in use.
> First, when I searched for the system.adm file I found about 25 system.adm
> files listed at these locations:
> c:\windows\inf (the one I copied and modified)
> c:\windows\sysvol\domain-------
> It appears to show up under each gp folder.
> I also have a 2nd dc 2000 server which has the location
> c:\winnt\inf
> My question is do I need to replace it in all of these 25 locations or just
> at the c:\windows\inf location?
> My concern is that when I look at the size of the system.adm files they are
> different.
> Or is there a better way to modify the system.adm file so that I can add the
> hide drives features. (I am trying to hide the P: M: c: drives. I have the
> instructions to do that just don't know where to put the new custom file.)
> Thanks in advance for any help
> Sher

Hi,

Sher schrieb:
> First, when I searched for the system.adm file I found about 25 system.adm
> files listed at these locations:

Don´t worry.

> c:\windows\inf (the one I copied and modified)

Thats only the default first place, from where the adm ist copied
at time of a new creation of a policy.

> c:\windows\sysvol\domain-------
> It appears to show up under each gp folder.

Because every GPO can havve its own adm tmeplates, they are
existing in every {guid of gpo}\adm

> My question is do I need to replace it in all of these 25 locations
> or just at the c:\windows\inf location?

None of it is a *must*. Copy it to a place where you want and
only import it on the GPO where you want to use it.

HTH
Mark
--
Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server
Homepage: www.gruppenrichtlinien.de

"user5758" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sher schrieb:
> > First, when I searched for the system.adm file I found about
> 25 system.adm
> > files listed at these locations:
>
> Don´t worry.
>
> > c:windowsinf (the one I copied and modified)
>
> Thats only the default first place, from where the adm ist
> copied
> at time of a new creation of a policy.
>
> > c:windowssysvoldomain-------
> > It appears to show up under each gp folder.
>
> Because every GPO can havve its own adm tmeplates, they are
> existing in every {guid of gpo}adm
>
> > My question is do I need to replace it in all of these 25
> locations
> > or just at the c:windowsinf location?
>
> None of it is a *must*. Copy it to a place where you want and
> only import it on the GPO where you want to use it.
>
> HTH
> Mark
> --
> Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server
> Homepage: www.gruppenrichtlinien.de

Hi,

I don’t import it. I just copy it back to C:\Windows\inf (Or
Winnt\Inf depending on OS).

Remember that you have to do this on ALL DC’s and ALL machines running
adminpak.msi. Also make sure you remember to do it after you apply any
service packs.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-replacing-system.adm-file-custom-ftopict260236.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=807314

"user5758" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sher schrieb:
> > First, when I searched for the system.adm file I found about
> 25 system.adm
> > files listed at these locations:
>
> Don´t worry.
>
> > c:windowsinf (the one I copied and modified)
>
> Thats only the default first place, from where the adm ist
> copied
> at time of a new creation of a policy.
>
> > c:windowssysvoldomain-------
> > It appears to show up under each gp folder.
>
> Because every GPO can havve its own adm tmeplates, they are
> existing in every {guid of gpo}adm
>
> > My question is do I need to replace it in all of these 25
> locations
> > or just at the c:windowsinf location?
>
> None of it is a *must*. Copy it to a place where you want and
> only import it on the GPO where you want to use it.
>
> HTH
> Mark
> --
> Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server
> Homepage: www.gruppenrichtlinien.de

Hi,

I don’t import it. I just copy it back to C:\Windows\inf (Or
Winnt\Inf depending on OS).

Remember that you have to do this on ALL DC’s and ALL machines running
adminpak.msi. Also make sure you remember to do it after you apply any
service packs.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-replacing-system.adm-file-custom-ftopict260236.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=807314

You're on the right track. Create a custom.adm or whatever you want to call
it. Leave out everything else except hide drives.

To import it, right-click on 'Administrative Templates' on the user/computer
and choose Add/Remove Templates. Browse to your adm file and choose it. This
will copy the adm to the GPO's sysvol.

Both the settings from the system.adm and your custom ADM would be writing
to the same registry location. So the User Interface might be confusing.
Just make sure you use only your custom adm for hiding drives.

Senthil