Crossfire config problem w/ MSI 965 Platinum

GXPTG

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

So I finally got wise and canned my Dell. I went with an MSI 965 Platinum based system. While I have my E6300 comfortably overclocked at 2.3Ghz (and rising slowly), I'm having a problem with my Crossfire configuration.

I'm trying to run two Sapphire X1950 Pro's. The cards are installed, recognized in device manager and in the Catalyst Control Center and it sees both (all 4) cards when I try to create a new profile, but under the Crossfire settings it only displays one card. Now, I know I have to click "Enable Crossfire", but it's grayed out. ATI's help isn't very helpful and I don't see anything about this on MSI's site.

I'm running a Thermaltake Toughpower 700W PSU so they're getting plenty of power. I don't see anything obvious in the BIOS to turn on/off (tried PEG/PCI and PCI/PEG). I've tried the 7.1 Catalyst drivers and older 6.12 ones, but no luck. Yes the Crossfire bridge is installed as well.

Before I try actually talking to ATI or MSI, does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? ATI says this mobo is Crossfire certified, but I'm obviously missing something...

Thanks!

Spadam

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
I am having the same trouble except I'm running 2 HIS x1650XT that use bridges .. it is exactly the same issue. I use a MSI K9A with the Crossfire xPress 3200 chipset. I've tried different drivers and even flashed the BIOS and reinstalled Windows. I cant get it to work! This setup uses 2 Crossfire bridges and no cable so IDK wut the deal is!

The problem lies with your combination of Mb and video cards.
Your crossfire setup is only supported with 975 or express 3200 based systems.

The link is here.
Click on "Combination Options Chart " the left.

The short of it is that you need a
X1950XTX
X1900XTX
or
X1900XT
crossfire setup to work with your chipset.

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
You can run CF on the P965 its a hack of shorts. Since they use ATI Bridge but only have x4 PCI-E slot left over you can get some drivers and have a Pseudo crossfire. It will of course take some hits due too

1, your running a card on x16 and another on x4

2, it is not really CF.

Check this out.

"MSI after launching the P965 Platinum based on Intel P965 Express Chipset, is the first to support ATI's CrossFire technology

As MSI comments "...For most of the ultimate gamers, the multi-GPU platform promises the absolute smoothest experience in rich 3D gaming and rendering, it's also a major divide between the extreme and normal gaming platform; MSI P965 Platinum was considered for the multi-GPU support initially in design process, and therefore equipped with 2 PCI Express x16 slots. MSI now make a breakthrough on the P965 platform to directly support ATI CrossFire mode (Runs at 16+4 speed) with the latest ATI CrossFire Ready Radeon X1K graphics, once again MSI goes a step further to enhance the most desirable 3D performance demands from gamers, and becomes the first P965 chipset based motherboard to support ATI CrossFire!.."

It seem all u need to get is the 6.8 BETA/REAL drivers and then you can run CF on the P965.

GXPTG

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
Well, that's potentially some good news. Thanks Xazax.

Question though... where/what are these 6.8 BETA/REAL drivers? The ATI Catalyst drivers? Running version 7.1 still does not allow it to function, but given what outlw said, I think I may be SOL and returning a card.

Thanks for the input. :)