SYSVOL and AD Group GPO version mismatch

I have a single policy out of many that I seem to have a problem with. The
default domain policy has a mismatch in both the user and computer version.
Each shows the AD version ahead of the sysvol version. I have now uypdated
the policy twice and in all occasions the AD incremented while the sysvol did
not. I know replication is working as other policy changes are reflected
correctly. I've even added a text file to the directory that holds that
policy and that file replicated without issue. Anything I should be looking
for or is there a way to force synchronization of one policy between AD and
sysvol??

Thanks in advance,
Marc
3 answers Last reply
More about sysvol group version mismatch

    I came across a previous post which may help. Note that if you use
    adsiedit.msc look for the policy under domain
    nc/dc=domain.../cn=system/cn=policies where you find the policies by guid.
    Domain policy starts with 31B2F. Select properties and then versionNumber as
    property to view where you can edit it. I have never had to try such myself
    so can not comment much more on if it will fix your problem or not for the
    long term. --- Steve

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy/browse_thread/thread/c98a2c3073a57536/9035bd4e15780a9a?q=group+policy+version+mismatch&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fq%3Dgroup+policy+version+mismatch%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#9035bd4e15780a9a
    http://tinyurl.com/6mcfu -same link as above, shorter in case of wrap.

    "Marc" <Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a single policy out of many that I seem to have a problem with. The
    > default domain policy has a mismatch in both the user and computer
    > version.
    > Each shows the AD version ahead of the sysvol version. I have now
    > uypdated
    > the policy twice and in all occasions the AD incremented while the sysvol
    > did
    > not. I know replication is working as other policy changes are reflected
    > correctly. I've even added a text file to the directory that holds that
    > policy and that file replicated without issue. Anything I should be
    > looking
    > for or is there a way to force synchronization of one policy between AD
    > and
    > sysvol??
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Marc

    Though this can force the issue, I'm curious if I've got an underlying
    problem with that policy in sysvol. This would only mask the issue and
    whther this would just end up making things worse. Thanks for the response
    though!

    "Steven L Umbach" wrote:

    > I came across a previous post which may help. Note that if you use
    > adsiedit.msc look for the policy under domain
    > nc/dc=domain.../cn=system/cn=policies where you find the policies by guid.
    > Domain policy starts with 31B2F. Select properties and then versionNumber as
    > property to view where you can edit it. I have never had to try such myself
    > so can not comment much more on if it will fix your problem or not for the
    > long term. --- Steve
    >
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy/browse_thread/thread/c98a2c3073a57536/9035bd4e15780a9a?q=group+policy+version+mismatch&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fq%3Dgroup+policy+version+mismatch%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#9035bd4e15780a9a
    > http://tinyurl.com/6mcfu -same link as above, shorter in case of wrap.
    >
    > "Marc" <Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a single policy out of many that I seem to have a problem with. The
    > > default domain policy has a mismatch in both the user and computer
    > > version.
    > > Each shows the AD version ahead of the sysvol version. I have now
    > > uypdated
    > > the policy twice and in all occasions the AD incremented while the sysvol
    > > did
    > > not. I know replication is working as other policy changes are reflected
    > > correctly. I've even added a text file to the directory that holds that
    > > policy and that file replicated without issue. Anything I should be
    > > looking
    > > for or is there a way to force synchronization of one policy between AD
    > > and
    > > sysvol??
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Marc

    Since other policies seem to be updating fine your AD and sysvol probably
    are in good health and I agree that maybe something is up with that policy.
    However you could try it and see and after such if you made more changes to
    that policy and the settings were applied to clients and the numbers stayed
    in synch you probably are in good shape. Backing up the System State would
    always be a good idea before doing that just in case. Normally it is easy
    enough to use GPMC to back up a GPO and import settings into a new GPO but
    you are talking about the default domain GPO here. There also is the
    recreatedefpol.exe tool to create a new domain GPO as a last resort
    tion. --- Steve

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b5b685ae-b7dd-4bb5-ab2a-976d6873129d&DisplayLang=en

    > Though this can force the issue, I'm curious if I've got an underlying
    > problem with that policy in sysvol. This would only mask the issue and
    > whther this would just end up making things worse. Thanks for the
    > response
    > though!
    >
    > "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
    >
    >> I came across a previous post which may help. Note that if you use
    >> adsiedit.msc look for the policy under domain
    >> nc/dc=domain.../cn=system/cn=policies where you find the policies by
    >> guid.
    >> Domain policy starts with 31B2F. Select properties and then versionNumber
    >> as
    >> property to view where you can edit it. I have never had to try such
    >> myself
    >> so can not comment much more on if it will fix your problem or not for
    >> the
    >> long term. --- Steve
    >>
    >> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy/browse_thread/thread/c98a2c3073a57536/9035bd4e15780a9a?q=group+policy+version+mismatch&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fq%3Dgroup+policy+version+mismatch%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#9035bd4e15780a9a
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6mcfu -same link as above, shorter in case of wrap.
    >>
    >> "Marc" <Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a single policy out of many that I seem to have a problem with.
    >> >The
    >> > default domain policy has a mismatch in both the user and computer
    >> > version.
    >> > Each shows the AD version ahead of the sysvol version. I have now
    >> > uypdated
    >> > the policy twice and in all occasions the AD incremented while the
    >> > sysvol
    >> > did
    >> > not. I know replication is working as other policy changes are
    >> > reflected
    >> > correctly. I've even added a text file to the directory that holds
    >> > that
    >> > policy and that file replicated without issue. Anything I should be
    >> > looking
    >> > for or is there a way to force synchronization of one policy between AD
    >> > and
    >> > sysvol??
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance,
    >> > Marc