SYSVOL and AD Group GPO version mismatch

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
February 4, 2005 3:15:06 PM

I have a single policy out of many that I seem to have a problem with. The
default domain policy has a mismatch in both the user and computer version.
Each shows the AD version ahead of the sysvol version. I have now uypdated
the policy twice and in all occasions the AD incremented while the sysvol did
not. I know replication is working as other policy changes are reflected
correctly. I've even added a text file to the directory that holds that
policy and that file replicated without issue. Anything I should be looking
for or is there a way to force synchronization of one policy between AD and
sysvol??

Thanks in advance,
Marc
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 6:47:44 PM

I came across a previous post which may help. Note that if you use
adsiedit.msc look for the policy under domain
nc/dc=domain.../cn=system/cn=policies where you find the policies by guid.
Domain policy starts with 31B2F. Select properties and then versionNumber as
property to view where you can edit it. I have never had to try such myself
so can not comment much more on if it will fix your problem or not for the
long term. --- Steve

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...
http://tinyurl.com/6mcfu -same link as above, shorter in case of wrap.

"Marc" <Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D B91EF65-B629-452D-9069-DC5BF96D11A4@microsoft.com...
>I have a single policy out of many that I seem to have a problem with. The
> default domain policy has a mismatch in both the user and computer
> version.
> Each shows the AD version ahead of the sysvol version. I have now
> uypdated
> the policy twice and in all occasions the AD incremented while the sysvol
> did
> not. I know replication is working as other policy changes are reflected
> correctly. I've even added a text file to the directory that holds that
> policy and that file replicated without issue. Anything I should be
> looking
> for or is there a way to force synchronization of one policy between AD
> and
> sysvol??
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Marc

February 5, 2005 6:47:45 PM

Though this can force the issue, I'm curious if I've got an underlying
problem with that policy in sysvol. This would only mask the issue and
whther this would just end up making things worse. Thanks for the response
though!

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> I came across a previous post which may help. Note that if you use
> adsiedit.msc look for the policy under domain
> nc/dc=domain.../cn=system/cn=policies where you find the policies by guid.
> Domain policy starts with 31B2F. Select properties and then versionNumber as
> property to view where you can edit it. I have never had to try such myself
> so can not comment much more on if it will fix your problem or not for the
> long term. --- Steve
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...
> http://tinyurl.com/6mcfu -same link as above, shorter in case of wrap.
>
> "Marc" <Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D B91EF65-B629-452D-9069-DC5BF96D11A4@microsoft.com...
> >I have a single policy out of many that I seem to have a problem with. The
> > default domain policy has a mismatch in both the user and computer
> > version.
> > Each shows the AD version ahead of the sysvol version. I have now
> > uypdated
> > the policy twice and in all occasions the AD incremented while the sysvol
> > did
> > not. I know replication is working as other policy changes are reflected
> > correctly. I've even added a text file to the directory that holds that
> > policy and that file replicated without issue. Anything I should be
> > looking
> > for or is there a way to force synchronization of one policy between AD
> > and
> > sysvol??
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Marc

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 10:04:21 PM

Since other policies seem to be updating fine your AD and sysvol probably
are in good health and I agree that maybe something is up with that policy.
However you could try it and see and after such if you made more changes to
that policy and the settings were applied to clients and the numbers stayed
in synch you probably are in good shape. Backing up the System State would
always be a good idea before doing that just in case. Normally it is easy
enough to use GPMC to back up a GPO and import settings into a new GPO but
you are talking about the default domain GPO here. There also is the
recreatedefpol.exe tool to create a new domain GPO as a last resort
tion. --- Steve

!