Upgrade XP Home SP2 to Pro

February 15, 2005 11:15:36 PM

I am trying to upgrade Windows XP Home with SP2 to Windows XP Pro.
The setup program reports that I am running a newer version of the operating
system so it cannot be upgraded.
As far as I can see I have two options:
1. Use a Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 - I cannot find such - how can I make
one?
2. Uninstall SP2 on my XP Home - will this be safe? I do have lots of fixes
also.

Any help please.

Roger

More about : upgrade home sp2 pro

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 11:15:37 PM

Make a new Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 "slipstreamed",
then perform the "Upgrade".

Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
(integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticl...

or

AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Roger Eriksen" wrote:

| I am trying to upgrade Windows XP Home with SP2 to Windows XP Pro.
| The setup program reports that I am running a newer version of the operating
| system so it cannot be upgraded.
| As far as I can see I have two options:
| 1. Use a Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 - I cannot find such - how can I make
| one?
| 2. Uninstall SP2 on my XP Home - will this be safe? I do have lots of fixes
| also.
|
| Any help please.
|
| Roger
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 11:15:37 PM

In news:%232YK9K5EFHA.1084@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Roger Eriksen <Roger.Eriksen@itet.no> typed:

> I am trying to upgrade Windows XP Home with SP2 to Windows XP
> Pro.
> The setup program reports that I am running a newer version of
> the
> operating system so it cannot be upgraded.

Because you have SP2 installed, and your XP Professional Upgrade
is without it, it is an older version than what's installed.

> As far as I can see I have two options:
> 1. Use a Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 - I cannot find such - how
> can I
> make one?
> 2. Uninstall SP2 on my XP Home - will this be safe? I do have
> lots
> of fixes also.

Yes, you have two choices:

1. Uninstall SP2, do the upgrade, then reinstall SP2.

2. Create a slipstreamed version of XP Professional, including
SP2, and use it. See

http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262

Please reply to the newsgroup
February 15, 2005 11:15:38 PM

I have used AutoStreamer and it is very easy to use and
free. You can use your XP Pro CD and the downloaded SP2 (IT
version 266 MB) to create an ISO image and then use your CD
burning tool to make a bootable CD. I use Roxio, if I right
click on the ISO file I get the option to "burn a CD" and
that is bootable and finalized.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in
message news:u$NUoS5EFHA.3244@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| Make a new Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 "slipstreamed",
| then perform the "Upgrade".
|
| Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
| (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:
|
| Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide

http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticl...

| or
|
| AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
| http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
|
| Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download

| --
| Carey Frisch
| Microsoft MVP
| Windows XP - Shell/User
| Microsoft Newsgroups
|
| Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|
| "Roger Eriksen" wrote:
|
|| I am trying to upgrade Windows XP Home with SP2 to
Windows XP Pro.
|| The setup program reports that I am running a newer
version of the operating
|| system so it cannot be upgraded.
|| As far as I can see I have two options:
|| 1. Use a Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 - I cannot find
such - how can I make
|| one?
|| 2. Uninstall SP2 on my XP Home - will this be safe? I do
have lots of fixes
|| also.
|| Any help please.
|| Roger