Upgrade XP Home SP2 to Pro

I am trying to upgrade Windows XP Home with SP2 to Windows XP Pro.
The setup program reports that I am running a newer version of the operating
system so it cannot be upgraded.
As far as I can see I have two options:
1. Use a Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 - I cannot find such - how can I make
one?
2. Uninstall SP2 on my XP Home - will this be safe? I do have lots of fixes
also.

Any help please.

Roger
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrade home

    Make a new Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 "slipstreamed",
    then perform the "Upgrade".

    Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
    (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

    Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    or

    AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
    http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    In news:%232YK9K5EFHA.1084@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Roger Eriksen <Roger.Eriksen@itet.no> typed:

    > I am trying to upgrade Windows XP Home with SP2 to Windows XP
    > Pro.
    > The setup program reports that I am running a newer version of
    > the
    > operating system so it cannot be upgraded.

    Because you have SP2 installed, and your XP Professional Upgrade
    is without it, it is an older version than what's installed.

    > As far as I can see I have two options:
    > 1. Use a Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 - I cannot find such - how
    > can I
    > make one?
    > 2. Uninstall SP2 on my XP Home - will this be safe? I do have
    > lots
    > of fixes also.

    Yes, you have two choices:

    1. Uninstall SP2, do the upgrade, then reinstall SP2.

    2. Create a slipstreamed version of XP Professional, including
    SP2, and use it. See

    http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    I have used AutoStreamer and it is very easy to use and
    free. You can use your XP Pro CD and the downloaded SP2 (IT
    version 266 MB) to create an ISO image and then use your CD
    burning tool to make a bootable CD. I use Roxio, if I right
    click on the ISO file I get the option to "burn a CD" and
    that is bootable and finalized.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in
    message news:u$NUoS5EFHA.3244@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    | Make a new Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 "slipstreamed",
    | then perform the "Upgrade".
    |
    | Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
    | (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:
    |
    | Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide

    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    | or
    |
    | AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
    | http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
    |
    | Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    | --
    | Carey Frisch
    | Microsoft MVP
    | Windows XP - Shell/User
    | Microsoft Newsgroups
    |
    | Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    |
    | "Roger Eriksen" wrote:
    |
    || I am trying to upgrade Windows XP Home with SP2 to
    Windows XP Pro.
    || The setup program reports that I am running a newer
    version of the operating
    || system so it cannot be upgraded.
    || As far as I can see I have two options:
    || 1. Use a Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 - I cannot find
    such - how can I make
    || one?
    || 2. Uninstall SP2 on my XP Home - will this be safe? I do
    have lots of fixes
    || also.
    || Any help please.
    || Roger

    Thanks!!!

    Just what I needed!

    Roger

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> skrev i melding
    > Make a new Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 "slipstreamed",
    > then perform the "Upgrade".
    >
    > Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
    > (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:
    >
    > Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
    > http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
    >
    > or
    >
    > AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
    > http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
    >
    > Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > "Roger Eriksen" wrote:
    >
    > | I am trying to upgrade Windows XP Home with SP2 to Windows XP Pro.
    > | The setup program reports that I am running a newer version of the
    > operating
    > | system so it cannot be upgraded.
    > | As far as I can see I have two options:
    > | 1. Use a Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 - I cannot find such - how can I
    > make
    > | one?
    > | 2. Uninstall SP2 on my XP Home - will this be safe? I do have lots of
    > fixes
    > | also.
    > |
    > | Any help please.
    > |
    > | Roger