Sign in with
Your question

Please Help - New Build Won't POST

Last response: in Systems
January 26, 2007 3:18:51 AM

My new build won't post. I've tried booting with just the mobo and the cpu and cpu fan works and the mobo lights come on but there is no beep. I've tried clearing the CMOS. What should I try next? Should I reset the CPU? Is there something wrong with the motherboard? I posted this earlier but stopped getting responses and I'm desperate at the moment...starting to feel like $900 just went down the drain. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Here's what I have:
CPU: INTEL|C2D E6300 1.86G 775 2M R
Case: COOLERMASTER CENTURION |CAC-T05-WW BK/SL RT
MB: BIOSTAR TForce965PT 775
Video Card:VGA XFX PVT71PUDP3 7900GS 256MB R
PSU: FSP|AX450-PN 450W RTL
MEM: 1G|G.SK 240P F2-6400CL5S-1GBNQ
HD SEAGATE 250G|ST 7K 16M SATA2 ST3250620AS
DVD_BURN NEC|7170A-0B RAM BK %

More about : build post

a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2007 10:43:10 AM

Please describe if the fans spin on and then stop or exactly what happens.
Try alternating the memory to see if it posts. You may have a bad chip.
You may have a bad power supply, especially if the fans spin on and then stop.
January 26, 2007 3:12:12 PM

I've made sure all four heat sink snaps are connected to the motherboard. I've tried booting with out ram and I don't get any beeps when I should get two (I think).

When I turn on the power the CPU fan and the case fan spin until I turn the power off and the motherboard lights stay on. When I first powered up I had two case fans spinning, my video card fan spinning, the CPU fan, and the DVD burner was functional (could open and close). Also the lights on the keyboard I had plugged in came on. It seems to me that it's not the power supply although unfortunately I don't have another power supply to test it with. Thanks again and please keep the suggestions coming.
Related resources
January 26, 2007 3:50:33 PM

ive got exactly the same problem and i still cant fix it! :(  i think i may have to take it to a computer store and ask them to check it out
January 26, 2007 4:36:00 PM

It sounds like there is something wrong with the CPU. Have you made sure that the PSU that you are using is supplying enought power. Other than that you could also make sure that the CPU is seeded very well into the MOBO. Have you checked to see if your MOBO supports the CPU?

I have had this problem before(my first build), and I didnt insert the CPU correctly. Make sure that it is not loose from the motherboard.

Hope this helps!
January 26, 2007 4:36:41 PM

I think it might be the CPU. I used the thermal tape that came on the heatsink . If I take that off will I need to remove the thermal tape and reapply paste or can I reattach it using the old tape?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2007 5:19:09 PM

If you remove the heatsink you will have to clean off the thermal tape.
Use Arctic Silver and the instructions on their website to reapply thermal compound.
Make sure the heatsink is on straight and properly attached.
January 26, 2007 5:33:02 PM

what do you use to clean off the thermal tape? Nail Polish?
January 26, 2007 6:10:07 PM

Quote:
what do you use to clean off the thermal tape? Nail Polish?

91% or better isopropyl alcohol is what I believe they suggest on the www.arcticsilver.com web site.

FWIW, here's a link to arctic silver's installation instructions. Some useful stuff there even if you're not using their product.

-john
January 26, 2007 7:53:15 PM

Alright I just cleaned the heatsink and seater with isopropyl 91%. I applied Artic Silver 5 and reseated the CPU and fan. Still having the same problems. Is it time to take my cpu some where to get it tested?
January 26, 2007 8:56:34 PM

No beeps at all is perplexing. Apologies :oops:  in advance for these questions but figured nothing to lose by asking. Sometimes it's something really simple ...

Is the speaker correctly connected to pins 1 thru 4 on the motherboard JPANEL1 header? Speaker known to be working?

Is the 4-pin socket for CPU power plugged in? (Looks like it'd be hard to overlook it on this board since it appears to be positioned right next to the 24-pin motherboard power socket, but reaching for anything to suggest ...)

-john
January 26, 2007 11:08:20 PM

The speaker is plugged in pins 1 through 4 but I don't know if it is actually working or how I would test that. The four pin socket is also plugged in.
January 26, 2007 11:42:56 PM

Main thing is that it's connected. Sorta really unlikely that it wouldn't be working. (Not impossible, but not likely either).

I'm out of ideas. If it were me I guess I'd be thinking about RMAing the motherboard and/or CPU for replacement.

Did you check that there were no bent pins in the LGA775 socket? Another long shot, but also another thing you could check. Also make sure nothing is blocking the pins from contacting the CPU contacts. (All I'm thinking is turn the CPU over and make sure there's no gunk on any of the contacts).

-john of the little or no help
January 26, 2007 11:51:12 PM

Dude...you need your ram installed for the computer to post.
January 26, 2007 11:55:34 PM

I will give those things a try. Thanks so much for your help.
January 27, 2007 12:12:21 AM

Have you installed youre OS yet? Make sure your cable and jumpersettings on youre DVD drive are right.
January 27, 2007 12:30:06 AM

I can't install the OS because I get "No Signal" when I power on the computer.
January 27, 2007 12:40:02 AM

I had the exact same mobo and CPU, with the exact same problem. There should be a jumper on that model of Biostar which will force the memory to run at 2.2 (well, 2.1, by all accounts) volts....I don't know, it's worth a try. I ended up RMAing the TForce and getting another board, so I can't promise the jumper thing will work.
January 27, 2007 12:44:46 AM

I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. I'll give that a try tomorrow. Right now I need to drink about 45 beers and pray to the computer gods that this last thing will work. If not I guess I'll RMA the board on Monday. Thanks.
January 27, 2007 12:52:42 AM

It is possible you have something shorting out the motherboard. Make sure you have all the stand-offs in the correct positions for your board. People have posted before using too many stand-offs or none at all. All sorts of strange conditions can result.

You never said anything about how many builds you have attempted/completed. If this is your first one, check the motherboard installation.
January 27, 2007 1:01:46 AM

Quote:
Please Help - New Build Won't POST

Sure I'll post. I'd love to. :twisted:
-cm
January 27, 2007 3:40:29 PM

.....so the point that it is impossible for a computer to post with just the cpu attached to the motherboard is not being taken into consideration?
January 27, 2007 3:41:51 PM

That point would be incorrect.
-cm
January 27, 2007 5:23:36 PM

Quote:
.....so the point that it is impossible for a computer to post with just the cpu attached to the motherboard is not being taken into consideration?
-cm

Perhaps it would be a good thing to do at this, eh, "point" to return to the OP and see what this thread is actually about.

Quote:
My new build won't post. I've tried booting with just the mobo and the cpu and cpu fan works and the mobo lights come on but there is no beep.

Of course, it does sound as though the OP was so concerned by the lack of any error report "beeps" during a POST when only the CPU was installed that he never tried booting with the RAM and video card installed as well.

Not sure whether it makes sense to try that though. Isn't the motherboard (or CPU) defective if you don't get those error beeps when posting with only the CPU? Would there be any value added by attempting to boot with any/all of the other components installed? :?

-john, the ostensibly clueless redundant legacy dinosaur
January 27, 2007 5:36:50 PM

Quote:
-cm

Perhaps it would be a good thing to do at this, eh, "point" to return to the OP and see what this thread is actually about.

Quote:
My new build won't post. I've tried booting with just the mobo and the cpu and cpu fan works and the mobo lights come on but there is no beep.

Of course, it does sound as though the OP was so concerned by the lack of any error report "beeps" during a POST when only the CPU was installed that he never tried booting with the RAM and video card installed as well.

Not sure whether it makes sense to try that though. Isn't the motherboard (or CPU) defective if you don't get those error beeps when posting with only the CPU? Would there be any value added by attempting to boot with any/all of the other components installed? :?

-john, the ostensibly clueless redundant legacy dinosaur

k.............

a quick google and you'll get this.

THE POST TEST

Each time the computer boots up the computer must past the POST. Below is the common procedure of the POST:
1. The first step of POST is the testing of the Power Supply to ensure that it is turned on and that it releases its reset signal.
2. CPU must exit the reset status mode and thereafter be able to execute instructions.
3. BIOS must be readable.
4. BIOS checksum must be valid, meaning that it must be readable.
5. CMOS be accessible for reading.
6. CMOS checksum must be valid, meaning that it must be readable.
7. CPU must be able to read all forms of memory such as the memory controller, memory bus, and memory module.
8. The first 64KB of memory must be operational and have the capability to be read and written to and from, and capable of containing the POST code.
9. I/O bus / controller must be accessible.
10. I/O bus must be able to write / read from the video subsystem and be able to read all video RAM..

If the computer does not pass any of the above tests, your computer will receive an irregular POST. An irregular POST is a beep code which is different from the standard, which can be either no beeps at all or a combination of different beeps indicating what is causing the computer not to past the POST.

--------------

You must have these critical components installed on your motherboard for it to boot in the first place, which in and of itself will create a working post.
January 27, 2007 6:25:02 PM

What are the chances that Itsthehombre and I, with the same mobo, could both have bad RAM, CPU's, Video-cards, etc...I'm going to go out on a limb and say that something in the motherboard is wonky. Personally, I think its a bad PCI-E bus, but I can't prove that, because the damn Biostar refuses to give an error beep. I'm going to try my build again with a Foxconn in a few weeks; I'll keep you posted.
January 27, 2007 6:37:03 PM

Just to clear a few things up this is my first build and I've tried booting with the video card, the ram, and the dvd and hard drives connected, just with the cpu and ram, and with the cpu, ram, and video card. Perhaps I've used the improper terminology but the point is that I'm not getting an irregular POST. No beeps.

I just tried resetting the voltage jumper and that didn't work. I'm pretty sure I put the motherboard but I guess it's worth trying that again. There should be seven screws on this board, correct?

Finally, considering Detson is having the same problem it seems that this is a motherboard problem. However is there still a chance that a defective CPU is causing this? Should I just RMA the motherboard or send them both back? Thanks.
January 27, 2007 6:53:46 PM

When you're setting up try the install with just one dimm of ram boot and change voltages then fit your second dimm. Not sure if this helps but upon much research in preparation for my first build this has helped some with there installation. On second thoughts sounds like you guys got a dodgy batch of mobo check biostar forums for pci-e x16 slot problems, it's the only thing that makes sense if everything else is working but the signal to your monitor.

Good luck to you!

Regards.

Viceras.
January 28, 2007 12:36:38 AM

Biostar support is pretty much nonexistent, I'm afraid. If we could just get the thing to POST, we could get into the BIOS and fiddle around with the voltage settings. I'm going to borrow a stick of cheap 1.8v ddr2 RAM for my next p965 build for just that purpose.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2007 11:18:12 AM

If there is no beep, make sure the speaker positive is plugged in correctly.
If you reverse the connection it will not beep.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2007 12:05:18 PM

If you are getting no beeps or nothing at all, it may just be a bad board.

My first and only Biostar board some years ago had this same problem.
Could not get it to post, or do anything other than spin the fans.
Took it to a buddies house who at the time was more PC savy than I was.
We messed with it for 2 hours, nothing. Used half a dozen video cards and different memory, nothing. It was a Cyrix 166+ processor/board combo. :oops: 
Called Biostar support, went through all the same stuff for the 35th time with them. Take everything out, put it all back in 1 thing at a time, try to boot with only 1 thing on the board, combinations of everything, nothing, no beeps, no nothing. Just as they were giving me the info to return it, I am setting there turning the thing on and off, and suddenly it beeps and boots. And reboots, and reboots. So anyway the darned thing decided to suddenly start working, and never had any more trouble with it.
Never could figure out why so much trouble at first either. But it gave me a bad taste for Biostar. (and after it was up and running, a really bad taste for Cyrix :lol:  )
February 5, 2007 3:41:42 AM

I just had the same problem. The machine was working fine as a Win2k3 Terminal Server until I pulled the power plug, took out a stick of RAM to see what I need to purchase more of (to upgrade to 4GB) put the RAM back in and then same symptoms as you.

After 5 hours of so of messing around I found that the AMD chipset. That is the big chip on the MB without a heat sink gets burn finger hot in 5 seconds and then cuts power to the MB. No speaker beeps.

I have an old motherboard with "bad capacitors on motherboard problem" (google for it if you don't know what I am talking about) kicking around. It will power up and run for an hour before it reboots. Now I am firing up my soldering iron to replace the bad capacitors on the old board and use it instead. I need this server running by morning when the 15 or so users start their workday.

Then order a new DELL server to replace this mess :) 

Cheers,
Brent
February 5, 2007 4:55:51 AM

Hmm...who knows? They could be similar. Unfortunately, I don't know nearly enough about electronics to diagnose, let alone fix, a problem with the caps. I'll leave that to the poor sap who's going to get the Biostar as a refurbished model.
February 7, 2007 4:55:04 PM

Well I RMA'd the board and the new one arrived yesterday. I installed it last night and everything works great. Interestingly enough I tried to boot first with just the CPU to see if I could get an irregular POST but once again had the same problem. However once I booted with the memory and graphics card I got a beep and everything was up and running. To conclude, I feel like a golden god. Thanks again to everyone who provided advice in this thread. You guys are all heroes and champions.
February 7, 2007 6:09:51 PM

Glad to hear it! Did you go with the same model board? I think Newegg just got a bad batch, or something.
February 7, 2007 6:54:28 PM

Quote:
Dude...you need your ram installed for the computer to post.

If you dont have any memory installed on your system, once you start it up it will beep. If you leave the memory out you get a blank screen like he described. But the problem is that he already put the memory in and he gets the same message.
!