Disable Explorer-like FTP on Windows 2000 PRO

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.security,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Hi !!

As part of a broader project, I need to research how to disable the
explorer-like ftp integration on Windows 2000 PRO. What I want to do is
that when a users "saves to" an FTP// URI.. nothing happens (either from
Windows Explorer, or from Office 2000). Nor do I want the user to be
able to "browse" FTP folders...

I have looked into Group Policy settings, but I haven't seen anything
that looks like what I'm looking for. Of course, it's not the first time
I overlook the obvious!!...

I hope that somebody out there has the answer :)

Any and all help/tips would be more than appreciated

Javier J

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.security,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

There likely are application specific config for the app uses of FTP
that you have mentioned.

However, you could also just break all FTP by use of an IPsec
filter mode policy that blocks all Tcp ports 21 and 22 in and out.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
"Javier Jarava" <jjarava@secuware.com> wrote in message
> Hi !!
>
> As part of a broader project, I need to research how to disable the
> explorer-like ftp integration on Windows 2000 PRO. What I want to do is
> that when a users "saves to" an FTP// URI.. nothing happens (either from
> Windows Explorer, or from Office 2000). Nor do I want the user to be
> able to "browse" FTP folders...
>
> I have looked into Group Policy settings, but I haven't seen anything
> that looks like what I'm looking for. Of course, it's not the first time
> I overlook the obvious!!...
>
> I hope that somebody out there has the answer :)
>
> Any and all help/tips would be more than appreciated
>
> Javier J

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.security,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

In the end, that's the way we've chosen, as we were going crazy trying
to "find" all the "hidden ftp clients" that MS has put in the Operating
System.

And it seems to be working fairly well...

Javier J

Roger Abell wrote:
> There likely are application specific config for the app uses of FTP
> that you have mentioned.
>
> However, you could also just break all FTP by use of an IPsec
> filter mode policy that blocks all Tcp ports 21 and 22 in and out.

Actually, FTP uses ports 20 and 21, not 22...

Steve Riley
steriley@microsoft.com