Sign in with
Your question

C drive nearly full, WinDirStat issues

Last response: in Windows 7
July 6, 2011 5:13:04 AM

Hi,

Bear with me, for I'm a layman in terms of computers for the most part.

I have a Dell Optiplex 980. When I right-click my C drive, it says that I have 780 mb free out of 109 gb. However, when I run WinDirStat, it says that my C drive is only 44gb in size (whereas My Computer reports 109gb). I then ran Treesize (free version), which also reported 44gb. To make sure there weren't any errors, I ran a disk check and Chkdsk (following http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.htm...). Everything was still the same. Basically, I am trying to find a way to cut down the current memory consumption. C drive was almost completely full since the beginning (fairly new computer).

The computer is relatively new and was given to me by my brother, who had created an account before, then deleted it. Perhaps his files are still somehow around--any way to check this? I've run CC Cleaner, WinDirStat, and Treesize free. Can't get good insight on problem.

I'd really appreciate some help on this. I don't know what's wrong and why my C drive is so full (I have very little installed currently, and even my programs don't take up that much space).

Also, WinDirStat reports hiberfil.sys as taking up around 9-10gb. If I don't use the hibernate feature at all, would you recommend deleting it? How about pagefil.sys?
a c 370 $ Windows 7
July 6, 2011 3:50:26 PM

If you did not format and re-install Windows since you got the PC, you should. Then see what drive size is there. Make sure you remove any partitions on the drive during setup and do a format. Backup any of you data first though.
m
l
July 6, 2011 6:37:31 PM

thanks for the reply. can you give me a little more details (steps or link) on how i should go about doing that?
m
l
!