Group Policy for Remote Assistance ?

Hello,

We are running one Windows Server 2003 domain with XP/SP2 clients.

Is there a GPO I can configure which will enable Remote Assitance/Remote
Control and Remote Desktop on every client workstation ?

Also, in order to remotely control someone's computer while they're logged
on, does that
need to be done by invitiation or can I just go ahead and do it - if so, how
?

thanks !
1 answer Last reply
More about group policy remote assistance

    See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555179 for settings specific to Offer
    Remote Assistance.

    For Remote Desktop, see the setting Computer Configuration, Administrative
    Templates, Network, Network Connections, Windows Firewall, [Domain|Standard]
    Profile, Windows Firewall: Allow Remote Desktop.

    If you haven't already, you will need to either edit the GPO via a Windows
    XP SP2 desktop or update the.adm files with the XP SP2 versions (see for
    example
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=92759D4B-7112-4B6C-AD4A-BBF3802A5C9B&displaylang=en).

    See also
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/mangxpsp2/mngwfw.mspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816662

    Offering Remote Assistance means that the "expert" sends the offer to the
    "novice", who then gets a message box asking if they want to permit it
    (there is no way to get control of the user's session without the users
    permission). This is in contrast to the Solicited route where the "novice"
    sends an "invitation" to the "expert" via email or instant messaging. Offer
    is much simpler and quicker for use by Help Desk or other support staff - we
    use it a lot.

    To actually send an Offer of Remote Assistance, once it is enabled on the
    target computer, use the following as the "target" in a shortcut:

    hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/unsolicitedrcui.htm

    Offering Remote Assistance is discussed a bit in Windows XP's Help and
    Support, but you have to actually "search" for "offer" to find it - there is
    no index or table of contents entry for it.

    See also
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826088
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310629

    Remote Desktop is more like Terminal Services - you create the connection to
    the other computer, logon and get a desktop. You can only do this if there
    is no one logged on at the target computer (although you can force the other
    person to be logged off if you are an administrator on that computer).

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

    "chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > We are running one Windows Server 2003 domain with XP/SP2 clients.
    >
    > Is there a GPO I can configure which will enable Remote Assitance/Remote
    > Control and Remote Desktop on every client workstation ?
    >
    > Also, in order to remotely control someone's computer while they're logged
    > on, does that
    > need to be done by invitiation or can I just go ahead and do it - if so,
    > how ?
    >
    > thanks !

Policy Windows Server 2003 Windows