Allow user to have Administrator rights

Hello GPO experts,
I would like to set up some "rights" to allow a user to have
administrator rights on a workstation, when logged in to the domain.
So far I have a OU (Desktops), I put a user(s) in the OU, and also
created a group (security) "AllowAdminPriv", under this OU. My problem
is how do I configure this gpo, for the admin rights, for a given
workstation/user combination? I have also looked at the Restricted
Rights area in the gpo edit window, for both Computer and User. I do
not see how to do this. I want various users to be able to install
updates to software, without the administrator having to go to 20
computers each month to install updates.
Any info will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

eric

P.S. the server is Windows 2000 with active directory, etc
2 answers Last reply
More about allow user administrator rights

    If you want to enforce the local administrators to be just the groups you
    specify in "members" just add your AllowAdminPriv global group and domain
    admins to be the groups for "administrators [right click and add
    administrators, then configure]. If you don't want to enforce the membership
    of the local administrators group of the computers in the OU and you are
    using SP4 for your domain controllers then use the "member of" option and
    add administrators as the group to be member of [right click and add your
    group, then configure]. The links below should help. Note that restricted
    groups are computer configuration and the computers you want apply
    restricted groups to must be in the OU. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320065

    "Eric W. Holzapfel" <e.male@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hello GPO experts,
    > I would like to set up some "rights" to allow a user to have administrator
    > rights on a workstation, when logged in to the domain.
    > So far I have a OU (Desktops), I put a user(s) in the OU, and also created
    > a group (security) "AllowAdminPriv", under this OU. My problem is how do
    > I configure this gpo, for the admin rights, for a given workstation/user
    > combination? I have also looked at the Restricted Rights area in the gpo
    > edit window, for both Computer and User. I do not see how to do this. I
    > want various users to be able to install updates to software, without the
    > administrator having to go to 20 computers each month to install updates.
    > Any info will be greatly appreciated,
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > eric
    >
    > P.S. the server is Windows 2000 with active directory, etc

    "Eric W. Holzapfel" <e.male@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hello GPO experts,
    > I would like to set up some "rights" to allow a user to have administrator
    > rights on a workstation, when logged in to the domain.
    > So far I have a OU (Desktops), I put a user(s) in the OU, and also created
    > a group (security) "AllowAdminPriv", under this OU. My problem is how do
    > I configure this gpo, for the admin rights, for a given workstation/user
    > combination? I have also looked at the Restricted Rights area in the gpo
    > edit window, for both Computer and User. I do not see how to do this. I
    > want various users to be able to install updates to software, without the
    > administrator having to go to 20 computers each month to install updates.
    > Any info will be greatly appreciated,

    You need only to add AllowAdminPriv domain group to Administrators local
    group on every workstation...

Windows