looking for good solid router/modem

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
ive seen loads of advice here regarding specific routers to use for different applications however im in need of a modem/router (or seperate combination dependant on options) ill be replacing my bt voyager 205 which just hasnt given me the portforwarding options (only allowed to specify specific ports for forwarding not a range) for gaming CSS far cry etc, plus it just didn't have the stability to allow me to set up an fserv for Irc.
im not that interested in wireless but it would be a nice addition but not necessary.

in short i need something that allows me to forward a range of ports
and is stable enough to use as an ftp/fserv (reliably).

im sorry for asking you to find a sutible product for me but i have looked and all review sites review just routers (is it best for me to seperate the products out?)

thanks in advance for your help

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
You did not say if you were DSL, Cable, Modem, FIOS.

I like seperate hardware, gives more option and better reliability.

modem ( not required with FIOS) + router + AP

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
sorry im on dsl 8Mb connection altho it tends to max out at around 3-4

when you say try and get my current modem to bridge do you mean to bypass the router aspects it and have it acting as just a modem then using a seperate router to split the connection?

would i do this by just setting up a DMZ an ip then setting up the new router to that ip and point all the computers on the network at that?

if im way off the mark sorry im much more of an internal hardware kind of guy

thanks for your suggestions

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
when you say try and get my current modem to bridge do you mean to bypass the router aspects it and have it acting as just a modem then using a seperate router to split the connection?

Yes. I have no idea how your particular modem does it, all of them are different and some don't support it at all. Your ISP, or whoever sold you the modem should be able to give you more info.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
You might try SpeedGuide.net they have a tool called TCPOptimzer. It tests your connections and try to figure out what will be your best setup.

As far as your speed. If you are using a firewall, spyware, AV all will slow your speed down. If you are using Symantic, bump it and your speed will increase dramaticly. If symantic was ever installed it screws things up. If it expired, it is not repairable. You will have to reload to get your pc to run smooth again.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
speed is brought down by the distance that we live away from the exchange not the router or software running so there isnt much that can be done about that :( im really just looking for a few good suggestions for models of routers modems

thanks for your advice Fred im gonna look into that tonight my Gf has a spare Router that i might just nick off her ill get back to you to tell you if it worked