What is hdd driver files

MEKAVELLI

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
I formatted my western digital hdd then I tried to install win7 ultimate
The pc says that the hdd does not have driver, so tried to install win xp home edition I got the same response bout the driver, so tried to do this in a different pc I got the same ***
I have already tried the WD OFFICAL WEBSITE & they say that it is the OS fault contact microsoft, as I did, they said it's the HDD that is faulty mind you this is 1.5 year old 1tb hdd
PLEASE HELP as I am a newbee in this sort of games where do i go to download driver for my WD HDD or should I do something in the BIOS to fix this

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

WD is probably right and you don't need a driver. To fix your problem, go into BIOS by tapping Delete or F2 at startup then seek out the settings for the hard disks - particularly one for SATA or AHCI. Change that to IDE and apply the change then exit and try to install again. I think you'll find that the system wlil be able to recognise your hard disk.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
if you are starting from a fresh hard drive to do a fresh install and cannot see your drive,, perhaps try a reformat to GPT partition style and try again.
I would leave BIOS to AHCI if option available, then try to install windows. If still don't work, back off to IDE,, but really I don't think that will be the issue - i'm leaning to bad reformat