Computer doesn't start

eumichi

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
Hello,
i have a nasty problem with my computer: it doesn't start from the first time I try to open it ... but after some (1,2 even 30) resets will start and work like nothing happend before and will work for hours :)
I will give you some additional informations:
- when it's blocked the image freezes; regardless of the boot stage (loading video bios, the mb bios, windows XP loading screen, windows first minutes (1 - 1,5 minutes) of opperating ... )
- this behaviour is encounterd when I let it turned off for more than 4-8 hours (the computer is turned off, but not disconected from the power plug); if I turn it off and start afer few minutes will start from the first tries (after 1 or 2 resets) ...
- some times the BIOS loses the actual date (the year jump to 2099), this also affect winXP wich report year 16000 (or something like that) and all the warings regarding the updates, antivirus, ...
- I've already changed the HDD and the RAM memory (now I have WD2500KT and PQI 512MB DDR)
-few weeks ago when I tried to open it I smelt something like it was burned (but I do not know if it's from the power supply or the MB ...); I've closed it immediatly and open it after 10 min and it worked... I've also inspect the MB and the power supply but not see anything weird
- the computer configuration (and the components oldness):
MB: ASRock nforce2 (6 months)
CPU: athlonXP 2200 (3 years)
RAM: 512MB PQI (1 month)
POWER: FSP 300W (FSP300-60THNP) (1 year)
HDD: WD2500KT (1 month)
OPTIC: LG (CD/DVD burning capabilities) (2 years)
PCI: TV-tunner leadteak winfast PVR 2000 (6 months)

After change some components I think that the rootcause of the problems are MB or the powersupply; now I start blame more the MB, but who knows ... :(((((

Please give me some advice, because I am out of ideeas ... :(
Feel free to ask me any additional questions ... :)

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I'm not quite sure what you said....but try re-seating everything. Sounds like it could also be some sorta heat issue. I think. Couldn't quite understand you.

eumichi

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
I've tried this memtest with the old memory and some errors appear... so I've changed the memory with this new PQI .... and I've ran the memtest again with no more errors...
I've also changed the HDD for a similar reason... the S.M.A.R.T. functions report some errors for the old one ... so I bought the new WD....
But, again, after these changes the problem persist...

eumichi

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
The temperature could cause problem just on the southbridge of the MB, because doesn't have a heat dissipation device and if I touch it with my finger it's preaty hot ...
EVEREST reports the following temps:
MB: 36C
CPU: 36C
AUX: 15C
WD: 46C

eumichi

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
I've tried with another PSU and the problem persist ... :(
So, as you said the only thing that still could cause the problem is the MB ... It's still in warranty period, but the model it's very old, hope that they have a spear part, or something to replace with ...

Also thanks for you support ;)