What % used PPC stuff is bad?

April 22, 2005 4:27:37 PM

I am really enjoying my iPAQ experience since buying a used 3835 from
an eBay store. My luck has not been as good with cables and adapters.
The ComPAQ cradle I won on eBay will sync every time but will not
charge the iPAQ. I also have a USB Belkin cable that features a slide
switch on the cable. It works in the (auto lighter) charge position
but will not work in the sync position.

In your experience, is this typical of used cables etc. or am I just
having a short run of bad luck?

BTW, Why would the Belkin cable have to have a switch? It seems other
devices will charge & sync without a selector switch. Maybe it's the
12V power source.

Has anyone ever worked on a cradle? I have a pretty good track record
at repairs but this stuff is pretty tiny. Anyone have a list of pin
assignments on the serial port?

Thanks,
Dave

More about : ppc stuff bad

April 22, 2005 8:50:53 PM

DrDave wrote:
> In your experience, is this typical of used cables etc. or am I just
> having a short run of bad luck?
Personally when it comes to the PPC I buy absolutely nothing used.
All new. The device? You don't know how many times the seller
got frustrated and threw against a wall or did an Adam Vinetari on it.

As far as cables, I don't trust them either. You don't know
how many times they used it to tie up the dog or or tie down skis on
the
ski rack.

I buy everything from a legit retailer where i can return defective
stuff. I also never buy from auctions.

Never trusted auctions, especially after hearing of people getting
scammed.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 12:46:26 AM

"DrDave" <unospam2me@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| I am really enjoying my iPAQ experience since buying a used 3835 from
| an eBay store. My luck has not been as good with cables and
adapters.
| The ComPAQ cradle I won on eBay will sync every time but will not
| charge the iPAQ. I also have a USB Belkin cable that features a
slide
| switch on the cable. It works in the (auto lighter) charge position
| but will not work in the sync position.
|
| In your experience, is this typical of used cables etc. or am I just
| having a short run of bad luck?

I suppose if someone has a faulty lead they can sell it with little
chance of comeback on ebay. If you want a reliable item buy it new, if
it doesnt work you have some comeback. That's the choice you have made.

| BTW, Why would the Belkin cable have to have a switch? It seems
other
| devices will charge & sync without a selector switch. Maybe it's the
| 12V power source.

Have you looked on the Belkin site? It seems that it could be the place
look .........

| Has anyone ever worked on a cradle? I have a pretty good track
record
| at repairs but this stuff is pretty tiny. Anyone have a list of pin
| assignments on the serial port?
|
| Thanks,
| Dave

April 23, 2005 1:05:51 AM

Assume you know that the cradle doesn't charge from the usb connection's
power, but requires a separate 5vdc power supply that plugs into the
jack in the cradle base.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
April 23, 2005 4:22:43 PM

Beverly,
Thanks - I have the 5V supply plugged in to the cradle and I know it
works because I use the same supply with an adapter to charge the iPAQ
out of the cradle.

Paolo,
You are right, it's one or the other. It must have a dirty switch
contact that is keeping it from working in the sync position. I wonder
if USB sync cables are available that will charge from a powered USB
port at the same they are synced?
April 23, 2005 7:22:57 PM

On 22 Apr 2005 12:27:37 -0700, "DrDave" <unospam2me@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>BTW, Why would the Belkin cable have to have a switch? It seems other
>devices will charge & sync without a selector switch. Maybe it's the
>12V power source.

The Belkin cable will EITHER charge OR sync - it won't do both at the
same time.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 2:26:34 PM

Check the polarity and confirm center positive... different cables can
have different polaritites and minor jack differences that would create
a problem.

If the adapter charges with one and not the other, I would strongly
suspect a different connector or a connection problem.

One other question would be if the unit charges in the cradle when it is
left in the "off" state (unplug the usb connector)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 1:10:05 PM

I'm confused...one minute we're talking about a Belkin cable, which
doesn't have a separate power supply, only the switch between
charge/sync; then it almost sounds as if he's describing a power
adapter for a cradle, with the adapter end for the ppc?

(DRDAVE - certainly no disrespect intended, with all of the stuff out
there it gets kind of screwy, I just noticed there were several things
being described and want to make sure we're all on the same page.

Maybe this will help:

1. Power supply for Cradle - Provides power to cradle
2. Power supply cable with adapter tip: don't need the cradle for
charging; provides power to handheld but not syncing (since it's not
hooked into USB).
3. Belkin cable which charges AND syncs from USB, but switches between
them via a thumbswitch.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 1:19:23 PM

Oh, my bad..I missed the auto charger part. I forgot they have a
separate "head" for the cigarette lighter-turned-usb port-for-charging.
It's either a dud switch, or a messed up connector. If the circuitry
that cuts down from 12 vdc to 5 vdc get's popped, it might damage the
switch or the cable (fail-safe protection, perhaps, for the ppc)? Just
thinking out loud...
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:59:15 AM

There are a number of confusers here.

People assume that devices will draw power from a usb connection, but
most, if not all oem ppc's do not draw from usb because the power demand
might exceed a usb port's ability to supply power.

As a result, almost all usb cables and cradles from mfg's are configured
to receive power from a separate power supply that plugs into a wall
socket and then into the cradle or cable and if it is not attached, the
ppc will discharge when in the cradle, especially since the cradle can
keep the ppc alive.

Third party vendors offer usb charger cables and cradles, but some
computers simply switch off the power to the usb port when their
capacity is exceeded... some pc's notify you, others don't.

The final confuser is the relatively recent appearance of 5v power
supplies which use a usb connector socket to connect devices. Unlike pc
usb ports, these simply provide what power they can and might mislead
people to expect that a computer usb port would do the same when it
might not.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
April 26, 2005 10:44:34 PM

Checked the supply and the center female connector is +5.09VDC. (This
is a very precise DC supply). I tried your suggestion and with the USB
connector unplugged it still did not charge in the cradle.

The good news is: I found "wiggling" the 5V connector, in the back of
the cradle, would turn the charge light on and off. Very intermittent.
If I plugged directly into the iPAQ using the power adapter the
intermittent connection is gone. Bottom line...I know for sure the
cradle is intermittent and it seems to be in the area of the power
connector and not the microscopic connector that plugs into the iPAQ.
Maybe I will have a chance to fix the cradle.

My thanks to everyone who commented. My original question was just to
find out if others have my kind of bad luck with used cradles and
connectors or if they are usually ok. My guess is it's mostly bad luck
since my iPAQ and all other accessories are used and these are my only
problem areas.

I should not have "muddied the water" with discussion about different
problems. I will break issues into multiple posts next time.

DrDave
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 4:27:15 PM

>> muddied waters <<

Most of the long termers here have developed the skills necessary to see
through the mud and spot potential issues... it's up to the posters to
pick up the pearls. ;-)

Congrats on spotting the base problem.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!