Deploying OFFICE 2000 Service Pack [1, 3] using Group Poli..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 11, 2005 7:58:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Question:

I have a number (30 - 70) Pcs where Office 2000 is installed, and I want
to apply SP1 and SP3 to those installations.

I don't know (and very much doubt) if those Office installes were done
over the netwoks (I'd bet they weren't!).

The thing is, I've been reading up on software deployment usign Group
Policy, but I'm not too clear on wether it's possible to deploy both
Service Packs over the newtork automatically usign Group Policy (I tend
to believe it's not possible, but would like to be proven otherwise).

Thanks a lot

Javier J
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 9:24:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Javier,

Why would it not be possible? And why would you want to deploy both Service
Packs? I would simply update the AIS ( Administrative Installation Point )
with SR-1a and then with SP3. And I would make sure to include the five or
six post-SP3 fixes.

While I have not done this I believe that you can stipulate that the
software be removed if it were not installed via GPO.....

So, if Office 2000 was not installed via GPO originally then deploying the
software via GPO should remove the 'original' installation. Mind you, I
have not done this so I would test it before doing anything in a production
environment.

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"Javier J" <no.mail@please.no> wrote in message
> Question:
>
> I have a number (30 - 70) Pcs where Office 2000 is installed, and I want
> to apply SP1 and SP3 to those installations.
>
> I don't know (and very much doubt) if those Office installes were done
> over the netwoks (I'd bet they weren't!).
>
> The thing is, I've been reading up on software deployment usign Group
> Policy, but I'm not too clear on wether it's possible to deploy both
> Service Packs over the newtork automatically usign Group Policy (I tend to
> believe it's not possible, but would like to be proven otherwise).
>
> Thanks a lot
>

> Javier J
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 5:30:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Hi Javier,

To add a bit to Cary's reply, this article may be helpful.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA01136320...

(keep in mind that Windows XP did not exist when Office 2000
came out, but the approach here for Office XP on Windows
2000 is very similar). See the section titled
"Bring an unmanaged installation into a managed state"

======
>>"Javier J" <no.mail@please.no> wrote in message news:%23yoR03%23DFHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Question:

I have a number (30 - 70) Pcs where Office 2000 is installed, and I want
to apply SP1 and SP3 to those installations.

I don't know (and very much doubt) if those Office installes were done
over the netwoks (I'd bet they weren't!).

The thing is, I've been reading up on software deployment usign Group
Policy, but I'm not too clear on wether it's possible to deploy both
Service Packs over the newtork automatically usign Group Policy (I tend
to believe it's not possible, but would like to be proven otherwise).

Thanks a lot

Javier J <<
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Office 2003 Editions explained
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/office/editions.mspx
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:24:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Thanks a lot!!

The fact that the article is about Windows 2000 is not a problem, as the
environment I have to deal with is Windows 2000 + Office 2000! :)

It looks like this article _could_ be the way to get the computers to
the state I want them to be. Thanks a lot!!

Javier J

!