Deploying OFFICE 2000 Service Pack [1, 3] using Group Poli..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Question:

I have a number (30 - 70) Pcs where Office 2000 is installed, and I want
to apply SP1 and SP3 to those installations.

I don't know (and very much doubt) if those Office installes were done
over the netwoks (I'd bet they weren't!).

The thing is, I've been reading up on software deployment usign Group
Policy, but I'm not too clear on wether it's possible to deploy both
Service Packs over the newtork automatically usign Group Policy (I tend
to believe it's not possible, but would like to be proven otherwise).

Thanks a lot

Javier J
3 answers Last reply
More about deploying office 2000 service pack group poli
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Javier,

    Why would it not be possible? And why would you want to deploy both Service
    Packs? I would simply update the AIS ( Administrative Installation Point )
    with SR-1a and then with SP3. And I would make sure to include the five or
    six post-SP3 fixes.

    While I have not done this I believe that you can stipulate that the
    software be removed if it were not installed via GPO.....

    So, if Office 2000 was not installed via GPO originally then deploying the
    software via GPO should remove the 'original' installation. Mind you, I
    have not done this so I would test it before doing anything in a production
    environment.

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24014

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "Javier J" <no.mail@please.no> wrote in message
    > Question:
    >
    > I have a number (30 - 70) Pcs where Office 2000 is installed, and I want
    > to apply SP1 and SP3 to those installations.
    >
    > I don't know (and very much doubt) if those Office installes were done
    > over the netwoks (I'd bet they weren't!).
    >
    > The thing is, I've been reading up on software deployment usign Group
    > Policy, but I'm not too clear on wether it's possible to deploy both
    > Service Packs over the newtork automatically usign Group Policy (I tend to
    > believe it's not possible, but would like to be proven otherwise).
    >
    > Thanks a lot
    >

    > Javier J
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Hi Javier,

    To add a bit to Cary's reply, this article may be helpful.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011363201033.aspx

    (keep in mind that Windows XP did not exist when Office 2000
    came out, but the approach here for Office XP on Windows
    2000 is very similar). See the section titled
    "Bring an unmanaged installation into a managed state"

    ======
    >>"Javier J" <no.mail@please.no> wrote in message news:%23yoR03%23DFHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    Question:

    I have a number (30 - 70) Pcs where Office 2000 is installed, and I want
    to apply SP1 and SP3 to those installations.

    I don't know (and very much doubt) if those Office installes were done
    over the netwoks (I'd bet they weren't!).

    The thing is, I've been reading up on software deployment usign Group
    Policy, but I'm not too clear on wether it's possible to deploy both
    Service Packs over the newtork automatically usign Group Policy (I tend
    to believe it's not possible, but would like to be proven otherwise).

    Thanks a lot

    Javier J <<
    --
    Let us know if this helped you,

    Bob Buckland ?:-)
    MS Office System Products MVP

    Office 2003 Editions explained
    http://www.microsoft.com/uk/office/editions.mspx
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Thanks a lot!!

    The fact that the article is about Windows 2000 is not a problem, as the
    environment I have to deal with is Windows 2000 + Office 2000! :)

    It looks like this article _could_ be the way to get the computers to
    the state I want them to be. Thanks a lot!!

    Javier J

    Bob Buckland ?:-) wrote:
    > Hi Javier,
    >
    > To add a bit to Cary's reply, this article may be helpful.
    > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011363201033.aspx
    >
    > (keep in mind that Windows XP did not exist when Office 2000
    > came out, but the approach here for Office XP on Windows
    > 2000 is very similar). See the section titled
    > "Bring an unmanaged installation into a managed state"
    >
    > ======
    > >>"Javier J" <no.mail@please.no> wrote in message news:%23yoR03%23DFHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Question:
    >
    > I have a number (30 - 70) Pcs where Office 2000 is installed, and I want
    > to apply SP1 and SP3 to those installations.
    >
    > I don't know (and very much doubt) if those Office installes were done
    > over the netwoks (I'd bet they weren't!).
    >
    > The thing is, I've been reading up on software deployment usign Group
    > Policy, but I'm not too clear on wether it's possible to deploy both
    > Service Packs over the newtork automatically usign Group Policy (I tend
    > to believe it's not possible, but would like to be proven otherwise).
    >
    > Thanks a lot
    >

    > Javier J <<

Policy Microsoft Office Windows