First time builing from scratch

urian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
While I've modified/upgraded computers for many a years I haven't built one from scratch until now. Could someone tell me if I've forgotten anything that I'll need from this list?

Case: Tt Armor w/ 250mm side fan
CPU: C2D E6600
Heatsink: Scythe Nina 1100-P
Thermal Paste: Arctic Ceramique
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
PSU: Fortron FX700-GLN
GPU: eVga 8800GTX
RAM: G.Skill F2-6400CL4D4-2GBPK
HDs: 2* Seagate 7200.10 400Gb
Optical drive: NEC AD7173A

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Switch out the psu for this one or this one, better quality. Instead of the Ceramique get a tube of Arctic Silver 5, it'll lower your temps by a couple degrees. The Tuniq Tower 120 will perform much better then the Ninja, but it is bigger. Are you going to RAID the drives?

akhilles

Splendid
Heatsink: Scythe Nina 1100-P

You totally forgot to hook me up with Nina. lol.

It's pretty clear that you've been reading this forum & making notes. & you made the best choices.

Arctic Ceramique will harden over time. It'd be not easy to remove the hsf. Arctic Silver 5 is possilby the best, if not the best, thermal compound. Get AS5 instead, savvy?

-silencer-

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
The Tuniq Tower 120 will perform much better then the Ninja, but it is bigger. Are you going to RAID the drives?
True, at a tradeoff of noise.. the Ninja is excellent for cooling at very low rpms since the fins of the heatsink are spaced further apart.

urian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
Thanks for the answers.

Switch out the psu for this one or this one, better quality. Instead of the Ceramique get a tube of Arctic Silver 5, it'll lower your temps by a couple degrees. The Tuniq Tower 120 will perform much better then the Ninja, but it is bigger. Are you going to RAID the drives?

Is the Silverstone really worth the higher price? I live in Finland and the cheapest I cad find get the Fortron is 149€ (=188,32$) while the cheapest Silverstone is 192€ (=242,67$).

The Tunic Tower weighs 798g without fans? 8O How would this affect my poor mobo and cpu? The price is just about the same but what's the difference in degrees and loudness?
Edit: How would a Scythe Infinity compare to the other two? They're all three in the same price range.

Arctic Ceramique will harden over time. It'd be not easy to remove the hsf. Arctic Silver 5 is possilby the best, if not the best, thermal compound. Get AS5 instead, savvy?

I've been looking at both Arctic Silver and Arctic Ceramique. The main reason I mentioned Ceramique and not Silver was that Ceramique is non-conductive (and Silver is sold out in the store I'll order from). About the hardening, I found this on the Arctic Silver homepage (in teh Ceramique instructions):
Céramique has no adhesive qualities and is considered grease. It will never dry or set and cannot be used to glue a heatsink to a CPU core. To permanently glue a heatsink to a CPU core that does not have any other attachment method, please use Arctic Silver Adhesive or Arctic Alumina Adhesive.

Shouldn't that mean that Ceramique won't harden?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Thanks for the answers.

Is the Silverstone really worth the higher price? I live in Finland and the cheapest I cad find get the Fortron is 149€ (=188,32$) while the cheapest Silverstone is 192€ (=242,67$).

The Tunic Tower weighs 798g without fans? 8O How would this affect my poor mobo and cpu? The price is just about the same but what's the difference in degrees and loudness?
Edit: How would a Scythe Infinity compare to the other two? They're all three in the same price range.

In that case the fortron psu is fine, limited selection is a bitch.

As long as you install it correctly it wont effect your cpu or mobo whatsoever, besides lowering your temps of course! The Scythe Infinity is the second best air cooler on the market, the Tuniq Tower 120 is the best, if the Tuniq is available to you theres really no comparison to be made.