Problem pushing software

Hello Group,

I created a policy to push out office2k3 vlk through group policy to upgrade
office. Other group policies had worked before.
The behavior is that on reboot it appears as if it beginning to install the
application, but then stops within a number of seconds. At this point office
is not installed.
The event viewer shows event id 102 referencing this problem: "The error was
The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the
source exists and that you can access it."

I have verified that the serial number in the mst is correct and that the
source files are accessible
I gave the machine and authenticated users read and apply group policy
rights on the policy

The environment is pure windows 2000 (server and workstations), and is part
of a subdomain.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:15:57 -0500, "Tim Ogawa"
<timogawa101@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello Group,
>
>I created a policy to push out office2k3 vlk through group policy to upgrade
>office. Other group policies had worked before.
>The behavior is that on reboot it appears as if it beginning to install the
>application, but then stops within a number of seconds. At this point office
>is not installed.
>The event viewer shows event id 102 referencing this problem: "The error was
>The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the
>source exists and that you can access it."
>
>I have verified that the serial number in the mst is correct and that the
>source files are accessible
>I gave the machine and authenticated users read and apply group policy
>rights on the policy
>
>The environment is pure windows 2000 (server and workstations), and is part
>of a subdomain.
>
>Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Do they have read rights to the share? Double check those permissions.

Hi Tim-

I can't remember which it was, but I have heard of people having trouble
utilizing an installation source if the share was located within a cluster.
Or was it a DFS? I'm pretty sure it was a clustered share.

Is your installation source a clustered share?

Ken

"Ken B2" wrote:
> Hi Tim-
>
> I can't remember which it was, but I have heard of people
> having trouble
> utilizing an installation source if the share was located
> within a cluster.
> Or was it a DFS? I'm pretty sure it was a clustered share.
>
> Is your installation source a clustered share?
>
> Ken
>
> "Tim Ogawa" <timogawa101@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Group,
> >
> > I created a policy to push out office2k3 vlk through group
> policy to
> > upgrade office. Other group policies had worked before.
> > The behavior is that on reboot it appears as if it beginning
> to install
> > the application, but then stops within a number of seconds.
> At this point
> > office is not installed.
> > The event viewer shows event id 102 referencing this
> problem: "The error
> > was The installation source for this product is not
> available. Verify that
> > the source exists and that you can access it."
> >
> > I have verified that the serial number in the mst is correct
> and that the
> > source files are accessible
> > I gave the machine and authenticated users read and apply
> group policy
> > rights on the policy
> >
> > The environment is pure windows 2000 (server and
> workstations), and is
> > part of a subdomain.
> >
> > Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Hi,

Give the Domain Computers Group at least Read access to the Share
where the MSOffice install is located (also make sure the Share
Permissions are Everyone=Full Control). That is what fixed it for me.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Problem-pushing-software-ftopict264496.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=832332

Lara,

I usually make use of read on both the NTFS and Share permissions. Never
have I had a problem when not using 'Everyone @ Full Control'.....and I
really do not like that 'Everyone @ Full Control' situation
anyway...generally speaking.

--