Problem Patching Administrative Install Point

DS

I am having a problem patching an admin install point for an Office 2003
deployment. I am working on a Windows 2000 server. The install of office to
the admin point went great. I now want to apply the patches before I deploy
it. I am using the command line - msiexec /p \\server\Group Policy
Software\patches\outlfltr-fullfile-glb.msp /a \\server\Group Policy
Software\std11.msi

Everything I can find indicates that this should be the command line,
however, when I run this it says that I am using incorrect command line
parameters. I have tried running this directly on the server and from a
Windows XP workstation. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

it may be you need quotes around items... as it shows in Outlook Express,
the hyperlink to your \\server\group policy ended with the space. I think
you may need to either (a) take out the space in the share or (b) put quotes
around things, so it shows up as:
msiexec /p "\\server\group policy
software\patches\outlfltr-fullfile-glb.msp" /a "\\server\Group Policy
Software\std11.msi"

HTH

Ken

"DS" <DS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having a problem patching an admin install point for an Office 2003
> deployment. I am working on a Windows 2000 server. The install of office
> the admin point went great. I now want to apply the patches before I
> deploy
> it. I am using the command line - msiexec /p \\server\Group Policy
> Software\patches\outlfltr-fullfile-glb.msp /a \\server\Group Policy
> Software\std11.msi
>
> Everything I can find indicates that this should be the command line,
> however, when I run this it says that I am using incorrect command line
> parameters. I have tried running this directly on the server and from a
> Windows XP workstation. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

DS

That was exactly it. Thanks very much, you saved me ripping some hair out.

"Ken B" wrote:

> it may be you need quotes around items... as it shows in Outlook Express,
> the hyperlink to your \\server\group policy ended with the space. I think
> you may need to either (a) take out the space in the share or (b) put quotes
> around things, so it shows up as:
> msiexec /p "\\server\group policy
> software\patches\outlfltr-fullfile-glb.msp" /a "\\server\Group Policy
> Software\std11.msi"
>
> HTH
>
> Ken
>
> "DS" <DS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having a problem patching an admin install point for an Office 2003
> > deployment. I am working on a Windows 2000 server. The install of office
> > the admin point went great. I now want to apply the patches before I
> > deploy
> > it. I am using the command line - msiexec /p \\server\Group Policy
> > Software\patches\outlfltr-fullfile-glb.msp /a \\server\Group Policy
> > Software\std11.msi
> >
> > Everything I can find indicates that this should be the command line,
> > however, when I run this it says that I am using incorrect command line
> > parameters. I have tried running this directly on the server and from a
> > Windows XP workstation. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Glad I could help! :0 Hair ripping is usually frowned upon--it's usually a
fashion no-no ;-)