Disabling file types running

I am having huge problems with students running .exe files from disk.

I know you can "run only allowed applications" (and in win2003 "from
specified path") but it would be a lot easier if there was, for example
"Disable file type running from specified drive" policy, or similar in
Windows.

Anyone know of a 3rd party solution for this?
2 answers Last reply
More about disabling file types running

    Think about disabling .exe file extensions, though.

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24014

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "Cary Shultz A.D. M" wrote:
    > Think about disabling .exe file extensions, though.
    >
    > --
    > Cary W. Shultz
    > Roanoke, VA 24014
    > Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >
    > http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    > http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >

    > "Fabrussio" <Fabrussio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > >I am having huge problems with students running .exe files
    > from disk.
    > >
    > > I know you can "run only allowed applications" (and in
    > win2003 "from
    > > specified path") but it would be a lot easier if there was,
    > for example
    > > "Disable file type running from specified drive" policy, or
    > similar in
    > > Windows.
    > >
    > > Anyone know of a 3rd party solution for this?

    Hi,

    You can restrict access to A:\ and the CDROM Drive if you want to but
    it may be excessive.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Disabling-file-types-running-ftopict264895.html