need help deciding, HDTV noob...

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
June 1, 2004 4:59:00 PM

Hello group,
I need some imput if I may bother for some..I just purchased a new Sony
KF50WE610 50" LCD HD monitor..Currently I have Directv w/tivo, no HDTV yet.
Been watching the TV in stretch mode but got tired of short fat subjects so
put it in normal. We are building a new house in the country and am having
it wired for Satellite, but now can't decide..I love Directv, have been a
customer since before they merged with that other company (DSSL or something
like that) and my intent was to take my system to the new house but damn the
HD Tivo box is so expensive..Have read posts about "voom" but we need locals
over the sat and would like a DVR..The subdivision we are building in is
being wired for Time Warner cable/Roadrunner, now have been thinking of just
doing that..To opt for a three set installation of the Directv system is
just too hard to swallow I think..As much as I hate to go back to cable, I
thought I would see what people here are doing..Also have another
question..The salesman who sold me the set told me that if my DVD player has
the component or composite (can't remember, the three colored ones) that we
should be able to enjoy the wide screen..Well the DVD player did have it, I
went and bought the special cable, popped in a widescreen DVD and chose the
"normal" mode on the remote and the picture is in the correct format, but is
smaller than the screen..Sorta like when you set your resolution on your
monitor higher and the screen gets smaller? I know this really makes me
sound stupid but as I said I have never had an HDTV before so really don't
know where I need to be headed...
Thanks so much for your time....
John, Austin TX

More about : deciding hdtv noob

Anonymous
June 1, 2004 8:47:02 PM

John,

Well there are many factors to consider when selecting a subscription
service and since you already have invested in DirectTV equipment I
can see how you may be reluctant to switch.

I think in the last year cable companies (TimeWarner included) have
gotten a lot more competitive. I recently went though the same thing
with a new house. The builder actually told me "Everyone here has a
Dish, I recommend DirectTV or Dish Network". Shortly there after
TimeWarner cable obtained zone rights to part of our neighborhood and
I elected to go though them and have not been disapointed.

In the greater Houston area, TimeWarner has the best package. There HD
cable box doesn't cost any more per month than the normal Digital
Cable box and with that package we currently get (in HD): DiscoveryHD,
INHD, INHD2, HDNet, HDNet Movies, PBS, CBS, ABC, NBC and FOX and
TNT-HD (they two HDNet channels are $3.00/month combined). NBO HD and
ShowTime HD are offered. TimeWarner Houston sales office has said they
will add ESPN-HD "sometime this summer", so there's a lot of selection
for not alot.

In regard to PVR's. TimeWarner Houston will be offering a HD capable
DVR next month (already available in Austin I'm told). The box can
record HD (20 hours) of SD (80 hours) or a mix of both. I've been told
there will be no additional fee to lease a DVR box other than a
$5.50/month DVR service fee and I can drop off my current HD box and
exchange it at a local TimeWarner service center (to avoid there $50
installation fee).

None of our Houston satellite providers can really compete. You might
save $5-$10 month with a Dish, but it's not worh it to me.

-James

"John" <jonjon.winn@TAKETHISOUTmail.utexas.edu> wrote in message news:<c9ig55$18f$1@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>...
> Hello group,
> I need some imput if I may bother for some..I just purchased a new Sony
> KF50WE610 50" LCD HD monitor..Currently I have Directv w/tivo, no HDTV yet.
> Been watching the TV in stretch mode but got tired of short fat subjects so
> put it in normal. We are building a new house in the country and am having
> it wired for Satellite, but now can't decide..I love Directv, have been a
> customer since before they merged with that other company (DSSL or something
> like that) and my intent was to take my system to the new house but damn the
> HD Tivo box is so expensive..Have read posts about "voom" but we need locals
> over the sat and would like a DVR..The subdivision we are building in is
> being wired for Time Warner cable/Roadrunner, now have been thinking of just
> doing that..To opt for a three set installation of the Directv system is
> just too hard to swallow I think..As much as I hate to go back to cable, I
> thought I would see what people here are doing..Also have another
> question..The salesman who sold me the set told me that if my DVD player has
> the component or composite (can't remember, the three colored ones) that we
> should be able to enjoy the wide screen..Well the DVD player did have it, I
> went and bought the special cable, popped in a widescreen DVD and chose the
> "normal" mode on the remote and the picture is in the correct format, but is
> smaller than the screen..Sorta like when you set your resolution on your
> monitor higher and the screen gets smaller? I know this really makes me
> sound stupid but as I said I have never had an HDTV before so really don't
> know where I need to be headed...
> Thanks so much for your time....
> John, Austin TX
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 4:45:32 AM

"John" <jonjon.winn@TAKETHISOUTmail.utexas.edu> wrote in message
> Well the DVD player did have it, I
> went and bought the special cable, popped in a widescreen DVD and chose
the
> "normal" mode on the remote and the picture is in the correct format, but
is
> smaller than the screen..

When you say it's smaller than the screen are there black bars on the top
and bottom of the screen or on all 4 sides?

If there are bars on the top and bottom then that is to be expected for some
movies. Not all movies are in the 16:9 ratio. Some may be even wider in
which case you'll still have some black bars on the top and bottom of the
screen. The bars will be much thinner than if you had a 4:3 screen though.

If you're seeing bars on all sides that would be pretty weird. What happens
when you try the "wide" mode on the DVD player (or whatever it calls the non
"normal" mode)?

Brad
June 2, 2004 8:34:40 AM

"John" <jonjon.winn@TAKETHISOUTmail.utexas.edu> wrote (in part):

>I just purchased a new Sony
>KF50WE610 50" LCD HD monitor

>The salesman who sold me the set told me that if my DVD player has
>the component or composite (can't remember, the three colored ones) that we
>should be able to enjoy the wide screen..Well the DVD player did have it, I
>went and bought the special cable, popped in a widescreen DVD and chose the
>"normal" mode on the remote and the picture is in the correct format, but is
>smaller than the screen..Sorta like when you set your resolution on your
>monitor higher and the screen gets smaller? I know this really makes me
>sound stupid but as I said I have never had an HDTV before so really don't
>know where I need to be headed...

The output of most DVD players is 4:3, which displays on a 16:9 screen
as a box as high as the screen with black bars on both sides. A
widescreen DVD is displayed as wide as the 4:3 box with black bars top
and bottom. Your monitor may have a Zoom mode which will expand the
image to fill the screen horizontally and expand the vertical in
proportion. Depending on the aspect ratio of the particular DVD, it
may or may not fill the screen vertically.

There may also be a mode that stretches the picture horizontally but
not vertically (called Wide Zoom on my Sony). Useful if you have an
anamorphic picture (stretched vertically to fill the 4:3 box).

None of this would be mistaken for HD, but it can still look pretty
good, especially using the component output, as you are.

E. Ogden <eoyymm@nycap.rr.com>
where yymm is the current year and month (spam that!)
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 10:53:43 AM

I would have said - most DVD players can be setup for a 4:3 or for a 16:9
display. I have mine set for 16:9 for my GWIII. When viewing a DVD with 4:3
content, I see black bars on the sides. When viewing non-anamorphic wide
content, I may see black bars on all sides. Anamorphic discs will
automatically zoom to fill the screen because the player "knows" the TV can
handle it.
YMMV

"E. Ogden" <eo0406@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
news:D mkqb05k1pq2q8b7sft5uvtmajodgllf21@4ax.com...
> "John" <jonjon.winn@TAKETHISOUTmail.utexas.edu> wrote (in part):
>
> >I just purchased a new Sony
> >KF50WE610 50" LCD HD monitor
>
> >The salesman who sold me the set told me that if my DVD player has
> >the component or composite (can't remember, the three colored ones) that
we
> >should be able to enjoy the wide screen..Well the DVD player did have it,
> >went and bought the special cable, popped in a widescreen DVD and chose
the
> >"normal" mode on the remote and the picture is in the correct format, but
is
> >smaller than the screen..Sorta like when you set your resolution on your
> >monitor higher and the screen gets smaller? I know this really makes me
> >sound stupid but as I said I have never had an HDTV before so really
don't
> >know where I need to be headed...
>
> The output of most DVD players is 4:3, which displays on a 16:9 screen
> as a box as high as the screen with black bars on both sides. A
> widescreen DVD is displayed as wide as the 4:3 box with black bars top
> and bottom. Your monitor may have a Zoom mode which will expand the
> image to fill the screen horizontally and expand the vertical in
> proportion. Depending on the aspect ratio of the particular DVD, it
> may or may not fill the screen vertically.
>
> There may also be a mode that stretches the picture horizontally but
> not vertically (called Wide Zoom on my Sony). Useful if you have an
> anamorphic picture (stretched vertically to fill the 4:3 box).
>
> None of this would be mistaken for HD, but it can still look pretty
> good, especially using the component output, as you are.
>
> E. Ogden <eoyymm@nycap.rr.com>
> where yymm is the current year and month (spam that!)
June 2, 2004 12:26:18 PM

If HD is your priority, go with cable. They're going to knock the bejezzus
out of sat when it comes to HD cause they have the bandwidth to send a whole
lot more channels....sat does not.
Not only that, but cable KNOWS this is going to be a huge marketing
advantage for them, after years of losing customers to sat, so they will
leverage the hell out of it.
No contest for HD lovers.

"John" <jonjon.winn@TAKETHISOUTmail.utexas.edu> wrote in message
> Hello group,
> I need some imput if I may bother for some..I just purchased a new Sony
> KF50WE610 50" LCD HD monitor..Currently I have Directv w/tivo, no HDTV
yet.
> Been watching the TV in stretch mode but got tired of short fat subjects
so
> put it in normal. We are building a new house in the country and am having
> it wired for Satellite, but now can't decide..I love Directv, have been a
> customer since before they merged with that other company (DSSL or
something
> like that) and my intent was to take my system to the new house but damn
the
> HD Tivo box is so expensive..Have read posts about "voom" but we need
locals
> over the sat and would like a DVR..The subdivision we are building in is
> being wired for Time Warner cable/Roadrunner, now have been thinking of
just
> doing that..To opt for a three set installation of the Directv system is
> just too hard to swallow I think..As much as I hate to go back to cable, I
> thought I would see what people here are doing..Also have another
> question..The salesman who sold me the set told me that if my DVD player
has
> the component or composite (can't remember, the three colored ones) that
we
> should be able to enjoy the wide screen..Well the DVD player did have it,
> went and bought the special cable, popped in a widescreen DVD and chose
the
> "normal" mode on the remote and the picture is in the correct format, but
is
> smaller than the screen..Sorta like when you set your resolution on your
> monitor higher and the screen gets smaller? I know this really makes me
> sound stupid but as I said I have never had an HDTV before so really don't
> know where I need to be headed...
> Thanks so much for your time....
> John, Austin TX

Anonymous
June 2, 2004 3:47:07 PM

You'd never convince me with Cox Comm----They are the WORST when it comes to
providing good service---and good programming, especially their snail's pace
to incorporate HD---

"Curmudgeon" <gary@nospam.com> wrote in message
> If HD is your priority, go with cable. They're going to knock the
bejezzus
> out of sat when it comes to HD cause they have the bandwidth to send a
whole
> lot more channels....sat does not.
> Not only that, but cable KNOWS this is going to be a huge marketing
> advantage for them, after years of losing customers to sat, so they will
> leverage the hell out of it.
> No contest for HD lovers.
>

> "John" <jonjon.winn@TAKETHISOUTmail.utexas.edu> wrote in message
> > Hello group,
> > I need some imput if I may bother for some..I just purchased a new Sony
> > KF50WE610 50" LCD HD monitor..Currently I have Directv w/tivo, no HDTV
> yet.
> > Been watching the TV in stretch mode but got tired of short fat subjects
> so
> > put it in normal. We are building a new house in the country and am
having
> > it wired for Satellite, but now can't decide..I love Directv, have been
> > customer since before they merged with that other company (DSSL or
> something
> > like that) and my intent was to take my system to the new house but damn
> the
> > HD Tivo box is so expensive..Have read posts about "voom" but we need
> locals
> > over the sat and would like a DVR..The subdivision we are building in is
> > being wired for Time Warner cable/Roadrunner, now have been thinking of
> just
> > doing that..To opt for a three set installation of the Directv system is
> > just too hard to swallow I think..As much as I hate to go back to cable,
> > thought I would see what people here are doing..Also have another
> > question..The salesman who sold me the set told me that if my DVD player
> has
> > the component or composite (can't remember, the three colored ones) that
> we
> > should be able to enjoy the wide screen..Well the DVD player did have
it,
> > went and bought the special cable, popped in a widescreen DVD and chose
> the
> > "normal" mode on the remote and the picture is in the correct format,
but
> is
> > smaller than the screen..Sorta like when you set your resolution on your
> > monitor higher and the screen gets smaller? I know this really makes me
> > sound stupid but as I said I have never had an HDTV before so really
don't
> > know where I need to be headed...
> > Thanks so much for your time....
> > John, Austin TX

Anonymous
June 2, 2004 4:20:18 PM

Make sure you set up the DVD player for 16:9 TV. If you don't, the
DVD player will shrink the widescreen picture into a 4:3 box. Your TV
then display this shrunk picture in the middle of the TV with vertical
side bars. i.e. the DVD player pads the top and bottom while your
16:9 TV pads the sides, you get a shrunk picture in the center with
padding on all four sides. If you use the zoom mode on the TV, you
can bring the picture to fill the screen, but you basically just blew
up the pixels to get a coarse low res picture. That is the wrong way
to use your HDTV.

If your DVD player knows about 16:9 TV, it will give you the highest
resolution with no shrinking nor padding.

Now you have a 16:9 TV, buy DVDs in widescreen version. Most recent
widescreen DVD means anamorphic widescreen which is squeezed to narrow
pictures during recording, during playback, the 16:9 TV stretches the
pictures back to normal. Anamorphic widescreen version is not the
same as letterboxed version that you saw years ago. Letterboxing is
still done in widescreen version when they need to put a 2.35:1 movie
into a 16:9 (ie. 1.78:1) TV screen. In that case, they put the top
and bottom bars in addition to the sizeway squeeze when mastering the
DVDs.

"John" <jonjon.winn@TAKETHISOUTmail.utexas.edu> wrote in message news:<c9ig55$18f$1@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>...
> Well the DVD player did have it, I
> went and bought the special cable, popped in a widescreen DVD and chose the
> "normal" mode on the remote and the picture is in the correct format, but is
> smaller than the screen..Sorta like when you set your resolution on your
> monitor higher and the screen gets smaller?
> John, Austin TX
June 2, 2004 7:10:43 PM

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out..I do believe my DVD
player is set up wrong for the new TV..Now to find the darn remote to change
it..I programmed the main functions into my Pronto..Now need to find it as I
don't think the setup is reachable thru any of the box front buttons...
As mentioned it is showing a wide screen picture, just shrunk small on the
screen with bars on all four sides..

On the service question, yes here in Austin TW does have the PVR's and it
looks like their service is very competative...Our new house is out in the
country (Bastrop Tx) and I will have to give up my DSL so RR is my only
choice so I guess I can do a Time Warner package..Can always go back to DTV
or dish later on as the house will be wired for it...

Thanks again everyone for your helpful answers....
John

"Caloonese" <caloonese@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Make sure you set up the DVD player for 16:9 TV. If you don't, the
> DVD player will shrink the widescreen picture into a 4:3 box. Your TV
> then display this shrunk picture in the middle of the TV with vertical
> side bars. i.e. the DVD player pads the top and bottom while your
> 16:9 TV pads the sides, you get a shrunk picture in the center with
> padding on all four sides. If you use the zoom mode on the TV, you
> can bring the picture to fill the screen, but you basically just blew
> up the pixels to get a coarse low res picture. That is the wrong way
> to use your HDTV.
>
> If your DVD player knows about 16:9 TV, it will give you the highest
> resolution with no shrinking nor padding.
>
> Now you have a 16:9 TV, buy DVDs in widescreen version. Most recent
> widescreen DVD means anamorphic widescreen which is squeezed to narrow
> pictures during recording, during playback, the 16:9 TV stretches the
> pictures back to normal. Anamorphic widescreen version is not the
> same as letterboxed version that you saw years ago. Letterboxing is
> still done in widescreen version when they need to put a 2.35:1 movie
> into a 16:9 (ie. 1.78:1) TV screen. In that case, they put the top
> and bottom bars in addition to the sizeway squeeze when mastering the
> DVDs.
>

> "John" <jonjon.winn@TAKETHISOUTmail.utexas.edu> wrote in message
> > Well the DVD player did have it, I
> > went and bought the special cable, popped in a widescreen DVD and chose
the
> > "normal" mode on the remote and the picture is in the correct format,
but is
> > smaller than the screen..Sorta like when you set your resolution on your
> > monitor higher and the screen gets smaller?
> > John, Austin TX
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 9:12:54 PM

John, you indicated you need sat for locals. Are you aware that none
of the sat services, ie Direct, Dish, Voom supply locals in HD? You
need an antenna to receive these via OTA. The only exception I
believe is Dish or Direct is offering NY/LA in HD if you are qualified
to receive it.
June 3, 2004 11:45:38 AM

"Chet Hayes" <trader4@optonline.net> wrote in message
> John, you indicated you need sat for locals. Are you aware that none
> of the sat services, ie Direct, Dish, Voom supply locals in HD? You
> need an antenna to receive these via OTA. The only exception I
> believe is Dish or Direct is offering NY/LA in HD if you are qualified
> to receive it.

Hi Chet,
No, I was not aware of that..Thanks for bringing that to my attention...I
wonder if the local channels on Time Warner cable are? I guess I need to
call them...I fear we may be too far from town to get any decent reception
via antenna...And I sure don't want to fork out the bucks for a HD tuner if
it doesn't work....After reading the posts, I may just try TW HD, it seems
like it may be the best way to go, as to upgrade my Direcdv that I have in
my current home is not HD..I figured if Directv supplied your locals, and
your locals were broadcast in HD that it would be sent that way...Glad you
brought that to my attention...
Thanks!
John
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 6:30:33 PM

> "Chet Hayes" <trader4@optonline.net> wrote in message
> > John, you indicated you need sat for locals. Are you aware that none
> > of the sat services, ie Direct, Dish, Voom supply locals in HD? You
> > need an antenna to receive these via OTA. The only exception I
> > believe is Dish or Direct is offering NY/LA in HD if you are qualified
> > to receive it.
>

> Hi Chet,
> No, I was not aware of that..Thanks for bringing that to my attention...I
> wonder if the local channels on Time Warner cable are? I guess I need to
> call them...I fear we may be too far from town to get any decent reception
> via antenna...And I sure don't want to fork out the bucks for a HD tuner
if
> it doesn't work....After reading the posts, I may just try TW HD, it seems
> like it may be the best way to go, as to upgrade my Direcdv that I have in
> my current home is not HD..I figured if Directv supplied your locals, and
> your locals were broadcast in HD that it would be sent that way...Glad you
> brought that to my attention...
> Thanks!
> John

Do yourself a favor and visit www.voom.com. They provide an OTA antenna for
local stations as part of the package, and will give you an upgrade to a
"fringe" antenna if needed.

Through the end of the month, installation is free. Sat and box rental is
$9.50 per month, and they have a bigger selection of HD programming than
anyone else in their basic $40 per month package.

If you want everything there is, the "Va-Va-Voom" package is $90 per month
and includes HBO, Max, Showtime, etc., etc.

For someone with an HDTV, it's almost a no-brainer. A much better selection
of HD programming than the competition at less cost, and with no upfront
fees or long-term contract commitments.
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 9:38:39 PM

:
: The output of most DVD players is 4:3, which displays on a 16:9 screen
: as a box as high as the screen with black bars on both sides.

=========================
ALL DVD players can also be set to output 16:9.
It is a requirement of the DVD standards
=========================

: A widescreen DVD is displayed as wide as the 4:3 box with black bars
top
: and bottom.

==========================
Not if you have set your DVD player to 16:9 and have an anamorphic DVD
(most of them).
===========================

: Your monitor may have a Zoom mode which will expand the
: image to fill the screen horizontally and expand the vertical in
: proportion. Depending on the aspect ratio of the particular DVD, it
: may or may not fill the screen vertically.

===================
Zoom is only required for NON-anamorphic widescreen DVDs
====================
:
: There may also be a mode that stretches the picture horizontally but
: not vertically (called Wide Zoom on my Sony). Useful if you have an
: anamorphic picture (stretched vertically to fill the 4:3 box).

=========================
Sounds like you need to set your DVD player for 16:9 output.
You must be missing a lot.
============================
:
: None of this would be mistaken for HD, but it can still look pretty
: good, especially using the component output, as you are.
:
: E. Ogden <eoyymm@nycap.rr.com>
: where yymm is the current year and month (spam that!)
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 4:17:35 AM

"Richard C." <post-age @spamcop.net> wrote (in part):

>"E. Ogden" <eo0406@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
>news:D mkqb05k1pq2q8b7sft5uvtmajodgllf21@4ax.com...
>:
>: The output of most DVD players is 4:3, which displays on a 16:9 screen
>: as a box as high as the screen with black bars on both sides.
>
>=========================
>ALL DVD players can also be set to output 16:9.
>It is a requirement of the DVD standards
>=========================
>
>=========================
>Sounds like you need to set your DVD player for 16:9 output.
>You must be missing a lot.
>============================

You're absolutely right; thanks for the correction. I played around
with the various settings of my DVD player when I got it a few years
ago, but the 16:9 setting didn't do anything useful for me back then
(ordinary 4:3 TV) and I forgot about it. I changed the setting,
fiddled with the projector's settings to get it to look right and
watched "Run, Lola, Run." I know it wasn't HD, but I've seen movies
in theaters that looked worse. Using component out, the best the
player can do.

On a vaguely related topic, I have a computer with an ATI
All-In-Wonder Radeon card which has a DVI output. The DVI input on my
projector can be set to "Video GBR" or "Computer." The latter handles
most of the computer resolutions I can throw at it, but it doesn't
allow me to zoom to fit the screen, so I'm limited to a 4:3 box.
"Video GBR" (the normal setting for watching my HD tuner) will handle
only 640x480 at 60 Hz, which is basically SD. Is there a card
available, or a driver for this card, that will put out video at the
proper HD rate(s) to make the projector happy?

!