Disable Office Assistants?

mikee

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003

OK, free beer to anyone who can answer this:

I installed Terminal Service on a W2K3 server, and
configured a local group policy that...SOMEWHERE...gave me
the option of disabling Office Assistants on Office 2000.
Now, whenever a new user logs on and opens an Office
application they get three errors telling them "The
selected Assistant Character is not available....An Error
occured and this feature is no longer functioning."
and "There are no Office Assistant character files present
on the system. Please run setup in Maintenance mode".

I have tried to repair Office, reinstall Office, etc, all
to no avail. I know this is because of the option I set
SOMEWHERE in the GP but I can't find the option now to
undo it. Does anyone know where in the Group Policy snapin
to find this option???? Please???!!

**Yes, I'm serious about the beer.

MikeE

Hi there

Have you added the group policy templates (ADM files) from the Office 2000
Resource Kit core tool set?

http://www.microsoft.com/office/orkarchive/2000ddl.htm

Download the orktools.exe file and add the ADM files to the administrative
templates section of the GPO editor.

Oli

"Oli Restorick MVP" wrote:
> Hi there
>
> Have you added the group policy templates (ADM files) from the
> Office 2000
> Resource Kit core tool set?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/orkarchive/2000ddl.htm
>
> Download the orktools.exe file and add the ADM files to the
> administrative
> templates section of the GPO editor.
>
> Oli
>
> "MikeE" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > OK, free beer to anyone who can answer this:
> >
> > I installed Terminal Service on a W2K3 server, and
> > configured a local group policy that...SOMEWHERE...gave me
> > the option of disabling Office Assistants on Office 2000.
> > Now, whenever a new user logs on and opens an Office
> > application they get three errors telling them "The
> > selected Assistant Character is not available....An Error
> > occured and this feature is no longer functioning."
> > and "There are no Office Assistant character files present
> > on the system. Please run setup in Maintenance mode".
> >
> > I have tried to repair Office, reinstall Office, etc, all
> > to no avail. I know this is because of the option I set
> > SOMEWHERE in the GP but I can't find the option now to
> > undo it. Does anyone know where in the Group Policy snapin
> > to find this option???? Please???!!
> >
> > **Yes, I'm serious about the beer.
> >
> > MikeE

Hi,

It is in the Microsoft Office ADM file. (Not the Word, etc. ADM). The
ADM name is called OFFICE9.ADM

Add the ADM. The setting is in User Config- Administrative Templates -
"Microsoft Office 2000" "Assistant" - "Options Tab".

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Disable-Office-Assistants-ftopict265077.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=832331