Is this a bargain or garbage?

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
There are many mixed feelings about the Ultra PSUs but the three people I know that know the most about PSU quality and stability will argue that only the 1st generation X-Connect's are to be avoided, and that one you linked to is not a 1st gen.

For some reason xtremesystems.com won't load for me as usual so I will just point you to the site and tell you that there is a good thread about the Ultra X-Connect and Perkam (writer of the tiered PSU rankings) and JonnyGuru (possibly the most knowledgeable PSU guy I know of) agree that the X2-Connect/X-Finity/2nd gen or later X-Connect are good PSUs for the price point and in overall quality/stability.

Perkam still lists Ultra in a low quality tier, but he explains that he doesn't want to confuse people into buying the 1st Generation X-Connect by putting Ultra in tier 2/3.

People will come saying not to skimp on the PSU and I agree, but to duck away from a good deal on a good PSU because one of there products was sub-par isn't smart shopping sense either. I trust the pros and I hope a few of the PSU gurus (mainly mpilchfamily) on this forum will side with me.