Export/Import GPO

Jonathan

Hi all.

I have a NT 4.0 network with approximatly 120 workstation with NT 4.0.

Now my company want to migrate some workstation (30) to Windows XP without
having an Win200x server with active directory to manage my policy.

I know that I can place some Group Policy that will affect only the local
computer (WorkStation)

Is it possible to export all the policy that I have on one computer and to
import them on all of the other computer ?

Thanks

Jonathan

This is possible. You need to create the local policy on one XP client (this
does not include security settings, that involves security templates and the
Security Configuration and Analysis snap-in)

Once the local GPO is created, browse to C:\Windows\System32\Group Policy
and copy the Machine and User folders and the gpt.ini file to a disk. Now you
can copy this to the other XP machines in the same directory. You will need
to reboot once the folders and file are copied and it may take a moment for
the settings to take effect.

One word of caution, make sure you have the settings configured as you want
prior to moving to the other machines. My experience is if you copy over too
much without reimaging, they can become corrupt.

"trishc" wrote:
> This is possible. You need to create the local policy on one
> XP client (this
> does not include security settings, that involves security
> templates and the
> Security Configuration and Analysis snap-in)
>
> Once the local GPO is created, browse to
> C:WindowsSystem32Group Policy
> and copy the Machine and User folders and the gpt.ini file to
> a disk. Now you
> can copy this to the other XP machines in the same directory.
> You will need
> to reboot once the folders and file are copied and it may take
> a moment for
> the settings to take effect.
>
> One word of caution, make sure you have the settings
> configured as you want
> prior to moving to the other machines. My experience is if you
> copy over too
> much without reimaging, they can become corrupt.
>

> "Jonathan" wrote:
>
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I have a NT 4.0 network with approximatly 120 workstation
> with NT 4.0.
> >
> > Now my company want to migrate some workstation (30) to
> Windows XP without
> > having an Win200x server with active directory to manage my
> policy.
> >
> > I know that I can place some Group Policy that will affect
> only the local
> > computer (WorkStation)
> >
> > Is it possible to export all the policy that I have on one
> computer and to
> > import them on all of the other computer ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jonathan

Hi,

You may also be interested in looking at this URL. Local Settings
always apply to everyone.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q293655

Also, Just for your Info, System Policies (from NT) actually work on
XP clients like they work on NT Clients. They are not recommended and
a bit archaic but you can use them just the same if that is the only
option you have.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Export-Import-GPO-ftopict265151.html