GPMC Windows server 2003

drappendix

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Hey i was wondering if there was a way to view a users password in the group policy management console and tell it to a user instead of having to reset the assword and have them change the password again, only to have them forgget t again. also how does windows server 2003 store its password information, hash? or some other way. if anyone has any experience in this feild this has been and ongoing problem in my building that i would like corrected if possible.

drappendix

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
ok but where does it store the password. i need to be able to give each employee there password. and what problems would arise from this?

riser

Illustrious
You're going to get stuck setting it manually, letting them pick their own password, or if you know how to do it, you can use AD Command Line Interface to pull from a comma delimited value and do it for it.

But I'd say set them manually, or let them pick their own passwords. They're less likely to forget if they pick their own password.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
But I'd say set them manually, or let them pick their own passwords. They're less likely to forget if they pick their own password.

They must already be setting their own passwords, otherwise he wouldn't ask how he could find out what they are. Seriously though, just tell them to write it on the bottom of their keyboard or something.

riser

Illustrious
You know, the whole purpose of being an admin is so you don't need to know the user's password. Its this huge thing called Security. This way, they can't accuse you of doing something with their account as easily.. or someone else.
As an admin, there is no reason to need to know anyone's password except yours and the admin account password.