Logon Script processing

I have a 2003 Domain controller. I want to run a Group Policy Logon Script. I
entered all of the proper information under Computer Configuration.\Windows
Settings\scripts\logon. The script I want to run is located under the proper
GUID. The script does run, however, the result shows Disconnected Network
Drive in my computer. I can browse the drives without an issue. Anotehr odd
thing. When you run net use at a cmd prompt is shows no result.

Here is the twist. If I apply the same policy in the same manner, but to the
user portion of the group policy it runs flawlessly.

Any ideas why the computer configuration would show Disconnected netwrok
drive?
3 answers Last reply
More about logon script processing

    Well, maybe I'm missing something here, but under Computer
    Configuration\Windows Settings\Scripts, I only see Startup and Shutdown.
    These run when Windows Starts or is Shutdown, not when someone logs on (or
    logs off).

    The Logon and Logoff scripts are only available in User
    Configuration\Windows Settings\Scripts.

    Computer Configuration settings apply to computers whose accounts are in the
    OU to which the GPO is linked. User Configuration settings apply to users
    whose accounts are in the OU to which the GPO is linked.

    Mapped network drives are user specific things, so it only makes sense to do
    drive mappings in a Logon script. There is no point in doing this in a
    Startup script, becuase there is no logged on user at that point.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

    "Peachy" <Peachy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a 2003 Domain controller. I want to run a Group Policy Logon Script.
    > entered all of the proper information under Computer
    > Configuration.\Windows
    > Settings\scripts\logon. The script I want to run is located under the
    > proper
    > GUID. The script does run, however, the result shows Disconnected Network
    > Drive in my computer. I can browse the drives without an issue. Anotehr
    > odd
    > thing. When you run net use at a cmd prompt is shows no result.
    >
    > Here is the twist. If I apply the same policy in the same manner, but to
    > the
    > user portion of the group policy it runs flawlessly.
    >
    > Any ideas why the computer configuration would show Disconnected netwrok
    > drive?

    I should also mention it is unlikely the local system account (the one that
    would run the computer startup script) has enough network access to map the
    resources you are attempting to map.

    --
    Glenn L
    CCNA, MCSE 2000/2003 + Security

    "Bruce Sanderson" <bsanders@junk.junk> wrote in message
    > Well, maybe I'm missing something here, but under Computer
    > Configuration\Windows Settings\Scripts, I only see Startup and Shutdown.
    > These run when Windows Starts or is Shutdown, not when someone logs on (or
    > logs off).
    >
    > The Logon and Logoff scripts are only available in User
    > Configuration\Windows Settings\Scripts.
    >
    > Computer Configuration settings apply to computers whose accounts are in
    > the OU to which the GPO is linked. User Configuration settings apply to
    > users whose accounts are in the OU to which the GPO is linked.
    >
    > Mapped network drives are user specific things, so it only makes sense to
    > do drive mappings in a Logon script. There is no point in doing this in a
    > Startup script, becuase there is no logged on user at that point.
    >
    > --
    > Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders
    >
    > It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
    >

    > "Peachy" <Peachy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a 2003 Domain controller. I want to run a Group Policy Logon
    >>Script. I
    >> entered all of the proper information under Computer
    >> Configuration.\Windows
    >> Settings\scripts\logon. The script I want to run is located under the
    >> proper
    >> GUID. The script does run, however, the result shows Disconnected Network
    >> Drive in my computer. I can browse the drives without an issue. Anotehr
    >> odd
    >> thing. When you run net use at a cmd prompt is shows no result.
    >>
    >> Here is the twist. If I apply the same policy in the same manner, but to
    >> the
    >> user portion of the group policy it runs flawlessly.
    >>
    >> Any ideas why the computer configuration would show Disconnected netwrok
    >> drive?

    Hi,

    >The script does run, however, the result shows Disconnected Network
    >Drive in my computer.

    This is the case when you make a map network drive script a startup
    script. It does map on startup but it shows as disconnected.

    If you want to map drives depending on computer, enable the Group
    Policy Loopback Mode and set logon settings in the user section of the
    Computer GPO.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Logon-Script-processing-ftopict265640.html